People who lift heavy I need your help and advice!

Options
Babarrosa1
Babarrosa1 Posts: 98 Member
Hey *waves* :happy:

I'm not new to fitness or weight loss at all. I've been in the game for two years (I'm 21). I started losing weight July 2011 and had lost a total of 40 pounds by christmas 2011 (I went from 190 to 150 pounds). Since then I have been constantly on and off with the weight loss and fitness thing (mainly because I was entering my final year of college and I basically had no free time to dedicate to it, all I could do was keep my eating in check). I'm now down to 142 which I'm happy at, but there's still some inches that I would like to see disappear!

Well I've finished college, and renewed my gym membership early April. I've been going since then and I finally decided to join MFP a few days ago :) I decided also that I need a total rehaul of the programme I've been doing over the past few years. I feel that I've been doing so much cardio but I really haven't been seeing that much results. I lift weights (the light kind) but I know that has stopped working for me too. It's time for something new!

Could anyone please give me any advice on how to start properly? And diet too. I've heard somewhere that while lifting heavy, it's best to eat at maintenance, or at least not to be eating 1200 calories anyways..

Any advice would be helpful :) Also add me as a friend for motivation? :bigsmile:

Replies

• _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    If you want to lift heavy you need to be eating well over maintenance calories (how much over depends on what you want to achieve) have a look into starting strength

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/about

I've not used the program personally but have heard good things about it :)
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    A really good program to start with is Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer. It's completely free online. It gives you 12 weeks of workouts.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is awesome and worth every penny of the $15 on amazon. 6 months of workouts, food advice, picture and word explanations of each move (and claims backed by science).
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I know alot of women who use this and have great results:

http://www.stronglifts.com/

Most of the women I've talked to don't do the full 5x5 routine and instead use a 3x5 routine.

Good Luck on your journey!

As far as your eating is concerned...you will need to ensure you are eating alot of protein...think 1g for each pound of body weight (or at least around 110-125G protein a day). I wouldn't go on a high deficit, but a very small deficit like just below a maintenance level is what I've seen most use that still have a little weight loss to go. If you are at your weight loss goal, I would eat at maintenance or maintenance +5%
  • danwatto
    danwatto Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Barbara

3x8 squats, military press, bench, pull-ups and rows are the foundation of my exercise for weight loss. Cardio is a bonus to me.

I don't eat at maintenance because I have some big weight loss goals, but I lift 2/3 of my previous max for 8 reps and its steadily increasing towards it (I had a break from gym for years).

I use the MFP goal calories and I lose about 2-3lb per week.

If are at your goal, then go for maintenance. If you want to gain muscle/strength faster you need to eat more than maintenance but you will put on some fat too.

Add me if you want to motivate each other, but note I use metric.
  • emibrus1
    emibrus1 Posts: 59
    Options
    I just started The New Rules of Lifting for Women that was mentioned earlier! I was on the fence about it for about a week...but I've seen SO MUCH positive input from women on this site when they use it that I gave it a shot. I love it! I was smiling when I finished the routine...I neeeever thought I could get a good workout without feeling like I was going to vomit from exertion (former cardio queen here).
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting

Stronglifts

5/3/1
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The program you use doesn't matter as much as the consistency with which you use it.

That said, a few good ones are Strong Lifts, New Rules of Lifting For Women, and 5/3/1 (that's the one I like best and do personally)

As for calories, you do NOT need to be at a surplus if you are still losing weight, but you DO need to fuel those workouts. I am eating TDEE-15% right now and loving the changes I see in my body.

Make sure you are eating a MINIMUM of one gram protein per pound of lean body mass. If you don't know your LBM, google to find a calculator, work it out, and make SURE you hit your minimum. It's crucial to make sure you are protecting that precious muscle mass. Aim to lose weight slowly.

Start small. I started with just deadlifting, did that for two weeks, then added squatting, did that for a week, then added bench pressing, then overhead pressing. Don't overwhelm yourself and make sure you have the form right before you move on.

Finally, RESEARCH. I can't emphasize this enough. It's important to do the lifting, but it's also important to know why you're doing what you're doing. I really recommend you study technique and form well, because doing things wrong can cause many problems. YouTube form videos by Mark Rippetoe and watch them all.

You can do it! Seriously, there's nothing better than the feeling of loading the barbell up enough to get concerned looks from the guys on the free weight side of the gym, and then busting your reps out and proving them all wrong.

ETA: if you want more information on 5/3/1, look up strstd.com, which can help you build a program.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit and pick a good progressive loading 3 x a week full body program like StrongLifts.

There is a great group here and they have explanations of the program and links to form videos.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    A really good program to start with is Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer. It's completely free online. It gives you 12 weeks of workouts.

BUMP ... to check this out later.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    A good trainer is well worth it. I worked out and lifted for a long time before we found a great trainer, and have made more progress in a couple years with him than ever before. 54 now and stronger than ever!