"Double" Breakfast/Pre-Gym Food

Options
Hi all,

Sorry if this may have been asked a dozen times but I haven't posted before and want to explain my situation specifically to get ideas.

I go to the gym first thing in the morning. I get up around 5:30 and try to get to the gym by 7ish (I live about 1/2hr from the gym, and it takes a little while to get ready obviously). By the time I get to work it's usually about 9.

Because it's the first thing I do in the morning I need to eat something before going to the gym, but after my workouts (when I get to work) I am always starving! So far I have been basically eating two breakfasts (usually an egg muffin--homemade, ~260cals before I hit the gym, and then oatmeal when I get to work, about 3hours later, ~300cal). This is adding up to be a lot of cals gone by 9am which sucks because I am trying to stick to ~1200 cals but most often end up eating back all of my exercise cals too.

My question is.. does anyone have any ideas (other than protein shakes) on food that will get me through the gym for less cals, or that I could have after the gym to get me through that 9-lunch period. For the record... I have a much harder time getting through the after gym period.

Few other things just in case it helps: I am gluten free, and I am going back on WW starting this week because I haven't lost weight lately on the cal-counting alone.

Replies

• 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Yogurt or a piece of fruit. Personally, I need something to eat before I workout but it can't be anything heavy. My go to is usually low cal Greek yogurt.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym first thing in the morning, I don't eat before I go at all. I don't know if you've tried that, as I know some people do need to eat before they workout, but if you could go without the pre-gym breakfast it would save you some calories? If you must have something, maybe a banana?
  • DaniIcmeler
    Options
    Bananas are packed with energy.!

Try waking at 530am - Have a Banana at 6:15am ish (105 Cals for Medium Banana) and Drink lots of WATER - go to gym at 7am. Keep your oatmeal the same for afterwards - 9am (300 cals).

405 Cals
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha I was just going to suggest a shake and an apple for after gym.

I've heard that after the gym is an okay time to have an insulin spike (keeping cortisol levels down and loads of other scientific stuff I don't understand) so in your situation - if I really don't want to go the protein shake/bar route, I'd be tempted to just have a snickers or something.
  • JWat2020
    JWat2020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am no expert when it comes to dieting, and I am sure a bunch of people will give you more scientific answers. But it sounds like you aren't eating enough. Of course I am saying that without knowing your stats so I may be off base.

There is a reason that MFP and even Weight Watchers adds calories/points to your day after you exercise.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1. Set your calorie goal higher. 1200 isn't enough for most people.
    2. You should be eating back your exercise calories, so don't worry about that. You're set up on a deficit, even with eating them back.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with banana. When I am doing early morning workouts I'll have a banana beforehand which provides me with lots of energy and then a proper breakfast after :) I know everybody is different but works for me so maybe worth a try
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you get up this early and then go to the gym I'm pretty sure your body needs the extra fuel!! And how tall are you? Generally I'd say 1200 cals on a day you go to the gym sounds to little. Would don't worry if you go over that on those days (you're supposed to eat back exercise cals anyway) just see how it goes with that for a couple of weeks...
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nuts! I especially love almonds. Yes they are high in fat, but it's good healthy fat. I don't know why buy a small amount of almonds can stave off hunger for me, and I am talking like 8 almonds. But a 1oz serving (24 almonds) is only 160 calories. I carry a container in my purse, and it keeps me from buying snacks when standing in line or stopping at a drive thru.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1. Set your calorie goal higher. 1200 isn't enough for most people.
    2. You should be eating back your exercise calories, so don't worry about that. You're set up on a deficit, even with eating them back.

QFT.
    Options
    Nuts! I especially love almonds. Yes they are high in fat, but it's good healthy fat. I don't know why buy a small amount of almonds can stave off hunger for me, and I am talking like 8 almonds. But a 1oz serving (24 almonds) is only 160 calories. I carry a container in my purse, and it keeps me from buying snacks when standing in line or stopping at a drive thru.

I think 8 almonds would make me really angry...I could eat the entire 8oz canister and still be hungry. I've never understood this one.
    Options
    You're 24 with 40ish pounds to lose--you most definitely aren't eating enough. To give you a bit of perspective..I'm also 24, 4'11, and trying to lose 5ish pounds..I eat no fewer than 1600 calories but usually it's 1800-2000.
  • kaybristow01
    kaybristow01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts fasted in the morning too, I had the same issue and I tried eating a banana or a protein shake prior and I just ended up feeling sick, it took a few days of adjusting to doing it on an empty stomach but now I wouldn't do it any other way :)
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

I think 8 almonds would make me really angry...I could eat the entire 8oz canister and still be hungry. I've never understood this one.

Me too! I never understand the nuts as a filling snack suggestion, they are just to high in calories for to few to be satisfying!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My go to mid morning snack lately has been an apple and 1oz of beef jerky, I eat a banana too if I'm really hungry.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I used to go the gym after work but found that I needed too much of a snack beforehand to get a good workout in, like 200-300 calories, and it was throwing off my goals. So I changed when I go to the gym, now I time it to after when I normally eat dinner. I don't know if that's an option for you or not but it's something to consider.

I also think 1200 is way too low and this is probably most of your problem.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I try to eat when I'm hungry. I'm very short and I'm old and not very active during the day since I push a desk. I get up at 5:00 and eat toast and cheese along with coffee while I'm on the way to the gym. I get there about 6 (I have a 20 min drive). I run or do whatever for an hour. I get to work about 8. I eat a banana. About 9:30 or 10 I eat an apple with an ounce of cheese. About 12 or 1 I eat my lunch. About 3 I eat about an ounce of almonds, sometimes less, sometimes I eat veggies and sometimes I eat a protein bar or something else. Now that the weather is better I often take my dogs for a walk when I get home. Then I eat dinner a bout 6:30 or 7. I may eat some popcorn or a piece of dark chocolate about 8:30 and I go to sleep about 9.

I believe I consume around 1600 or 1700 cals a day total and burn about 300-600 in exercise. I haven't been logging lately due to a very busy schedule but I still do the same as I have for the last year so I don't think I'm off by much.
  • lanalou16
    lanalou16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Banana sounds like a good plan maybe. This morning I had a point's worth of this GF cereal I have with a half cup of milk and tea. It seemed to do the trick too and I ate my "real" breakfast when I got to work.

I've yet to ACTUALLY eat only 1200cals a day. I generally ate my 1200 plus the ones I worked off (and occasionally a few more). I'm 5'2 and been stuck around 175lbs for what seems like FOREVER (really though, it's been months!). I'm trying to get back to losing. I've lost about 55lbs so far, now it appears the dreaded plateau has arrived.

Back following points plus this week and I'll see how it goes. I lost most of my weight with WW.. may as well stick with what's worked in the past for me!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I eat breakfast twice as well. It´s my biggest meal of the day (500-800 cal´s.) I usually eat some bread with cheese, some fruit and some Skyr, a kind of yoghurt from Iceland, wich is high on protein and low in calories. And a protein shake. I hope you´ll find something that works for you.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe try having a little carbs before your workout - a banana or other fruit, a smaller portion of oatmeal or other cereal, etc - and then something with a bit of protein (your egg mcmuffin if it will keep, a greek yogurt, fruit with PB or cheese, really anything you want - it doesn't have to be breakfast-y if you don't want) after your workout. That combo might fuel your workout with the carbs and then tide you over to lunch a little better.