Disapointed at hitting my goal... Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oddy enough I was pretty much where you are a year ago. I went from 200-140 and just could not lose the last 5. I felt okay, but I really didn't feel thin or anything. I started strength training to lose those final 5-10 pounds, oddly enough... over a year later i'm actually 10 pounds heavier but I like my body a whole lot more ;) You need to change the shape and composition of your body because the scale really isn't telling you much about it anymore. You need a different goal than a weight one now.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Now is the time to stop looking at your scale and start looking at your tape measure. You're at the numbers you need to be at. You just need to put your body in the shape it's supposed to be in. Follow what about half the people here have said and hit the weight room like a boss.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82lbs! Sound great and yeah I've been getting nice comments and recognition, for my efforts. My original goal was to get to 140lbs,(im 5ft 3) which puts me in the upper level of what is termed as a healthy weight range for me. Im now 3lbs away from that and I gotta be honest...Im a bit disappointed. I still have a huge amount of fat round my belly and it seems so unrealistic that another loss of 14-18 lbs will make that much of a difference to how it looks. Now Iam 42, so I gotta be realistic but I do feel a little disheartened. Has anyone else felt like that, after big weight loss? Maybe Im being over critical. :indifferent:

Are you sure this is your healthy weight range? The heaviest I can be and be considered in healthy weight range is 140 lbs and I am 5'6". I show yours being 121-135 for a medium build 5'3" woman. And that's on a chart with high estimates.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    GREAT job on the weight loss. Unfortunately, if you haven't been on a good strength training program and watching your macros, you've also lost a great deal of muscle mass.

How do I know? Because the same thing happened to me! I've been in maintenance for a while now. Fortunately I did lift weights while I was losing weight. But it was far from optimal training, since I relied on dusty knowledge I sort of remembered from my younger days. And while losing I did not consistently eat enough protein. I definitely loss some muscle mass with my fat loss.

Fortunately, it is reversible. A lot of people are going to tell you to go lift, including me. Go lift!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting would solve that! Sounds like it is time to sculpt.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys, everyone! I took on a Personal trainer a few weeks back and have started strength/weight training, which Im really loving. Its funny I think I need to be more patient and wait to my brain catch up with my progress ! I totally take on board with concentraiting on body fat, instead of the scales. Ill get there !

Yup, patience is key. I would also suggest making concrete strength goals. Working towards those kinds of goals have helped keep me going when I start to feel crappy about my diet or weight.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lose muscle as well as fat when they lose weight, especially if it is a large amount. I would suggest a weightlifting program where you progressively increase resistance.

Look here for more info on what you can do without having to lose much weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979178-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Smile enjoy your progress and keep being healthy my weight loss has been very small since the beginning of the year but my workouts are better my running is faster and further and even though I am only about 6 pounds lower I am about 2 pants sizes smaller and my BF has dropped 4 %
    Don't measure your goals by scale alone enjoy the progress and your mind will catch up as you sculpt your body
    This month I am celebrating 5 years of my lifestyle change and my minds eye is only starting to catch up now. Caught a glimpse of myself in a store window off the corner of my eye and for a second didn't realize it was me.
    Congratulations on your progress you are doing great
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and am also concerned about having fat when I get skinnier.. I have about 44lbs more to go to hit the 150 mark.. I picked that number because it will leave me a littler heavier to help with an extra fat or skin I may have around my midsection.. I am almost 44 and know that I will never have a 6 pack or flat stomach..

You have done great... congrats on your loss..
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I think you are being way too critical!!! That is such a feat that you just accomplished. I am sure you just extended your life span due to improved health. I lost 15 pounds and pictures don't show a big difference because I look the same basically except smaller! But I am only dwelling on the positive: clothes fit better, muscles are less hidden, and I can eat more and maintain! I am starting to lift now to improve composition, but honestly, your loss is amazing and something to be very proud of!!!

Btw the belly fat in our 40's especially is often the last to go, as it was in my case.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OP, congratulations on losing the weight!! Here is some motivation for you. Tons of great pics in the thread of women that have recomped their bodies! You can do it too, you are on the right path by starting strength training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979178-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem here i think is that way too many people focus on a scale weight, and not on % body fat. The scale weight is an indicator, but it's not the important thing. In your case, I'd be willing to bet you lost some muscle mass along with the fat loss, so a weight that seemed correct really isn't based on your % body fat.

Remember, muscle is more dense that fat, thus at any given "size", you can weigh a lot more but actually be much more fit and look a lot better, if you have more muscle mass. I recommend strength training to help reshape your body as some others have already suggested. It really does make a difference! Once you start doing that, get it out of your head that you want to weigh a certain # of pounds, and instead, focus on # body fat. You can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82lbs! Sound great and yeah I've been getting nice comments and recognition, for my efforts. My original goal was to get to 140lbs,(im 5ft 3) which puts me in the upper level of what is termed as a healthy weight range for me. Im now 3lbs away from that and I gotta be honest...Im a bit disappointed. I still have a huge amount of fat round my belly and it seems so unrealistic that another loss of 14-18 lbs will make that much of a difference to how it looks. Now Iam 42, so I gotta be realistic but I do feel a little disheartened. Has anyone else felt like that, after big weight loss? Maybe Im being over critical. :indifferent:
    Not uncommon. For most they usually have a "number" in mind and once they reach it, then goal will be reassessed. Think of it this way, to get better, you need to have a goal to achieve, so once you reach this one, it's not gonna be over.
    And I'll be the first to say that age isn't an excuse to hold you back. What holds people back is lack of determination and desire. Doesn't sound like you're that way so keep going!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

I was completely disappointed when I hit my goal because I saw how much more I could accomplish if I kept at it. Now that I'm a couple of pounds away again, I'm about to move it down again, precisely because of the stubborn fat on my middle. Those last few pounds WILL make a difference, as will continued strength training.

Keep in mind that once you've kept the weight off for 6 months to a year and continued your strength training and cardio, things will tighten up a little more AND your brain/perception will have a chance to catch up with the reality of your smaller size. You've endured this far. Keep going!! [This is also my constant self-pep-talk, because I struggle with the same things.]
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If you have a small frame, 140 at 5'3" just isn't going to make you happy. I'm the same height and even at 130, I'm too smooshy for my taste. Ideally, I want to be around 115. I'm certainly happier at 130 or 140 than at 166 (my highest), but it isn't what I want for my body.

If you aren't happy at 140, keep losing.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me!! I went from 191 to 131 and still wasn't satisfied with the way I looked; I am also 5'3". But slowly and surely, the effort I still put into my fitness and diet is paying off. I am now 123 and the belly fat and cellulite is going down. It's very gradual, and it takes a huge amount of effort now, but it's still happening! Feel free to add me if you need some support to drop the last few pounds and firm up! I would be happy to share with you what has worked for me. :flowerforyou:
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on a fantastic weight loss. I realise that you still might not be happy with your body, but you have to take a step back and appreciate how well you've done.

My ticker's currently sitting at 77lbs lost (i'm actually a couple of pounds heavier this week) and I too am not happy with the results. Admittedly, I still wanted to lose another 7 lbs, but the closer I get to my goal weight, the more I have to re-evaluate. Despite having lost all this weight, I estimate my body-fat at being around 22%, which I do not like one bit!

I've just finished my 4th week of Stronglifts 5x5 Strength Training program and i'm integrating Insanity: Asylum Volume 1 on alternating days, giving myself one rest day per week. I don't have advise as such, as i'm in a similar position, but I can just tell you that you're not alone in feeling like this, but it's something we have to 'take on the chin' and work on. I definitely agree that strength training will help you with body recomposition (after 4 weeks, I look firmer and leaner) and will initially help you get some 'newbie gains'.

All the best with your transformation!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I had experienced similar feelings. I was happy but, was not as thrilled . My only regret was not doing strength training. I was doing all cardio. I am now working with a trainer for the past 5 mths and I am seeing much improvement. We do body weight exercises & weight training.
  • pkdmfp
    pkdmfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! I just joined myfitesspal and like to lose 10 pounds total. Its very hard to lose weight but i am going to try my best. I exercise daily, do yoga and I walk, even though I exercise, eat the right food yet don't lose enough weight. will see...