When hungover...

Options
So there's a problem with restricting my calories and drinking - simultaneously. I've found that when I have a glass of wine or two on a Saturday night out, that means I eat less than on a normal day (so I stay within my caloric goal range) but I wake up HUNG.OVER.

Girlfriend.

How you you tackle this problem? I'd like to be able to reasonably and responsibly enjoy an adult beverage, but how to avoid hangovers -

or more importantly - *what do you eat the next day to conquer them that is not 3000 calories?*

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I usually just go for a run, take a shower, and go about my day like it was any other day. If I let hangover stop me from my routine I'd never leave the house.

Besides, the more you focus on it the worse it seems. Get out of the house, run errands, stay hydrated, and you'll be fine.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Most of the symptoms of hangover relate to dehydration.
  • lauramacaroni
    lauramacaroni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Most of the symptoms of hangover relate to dehydration.

This....it's the same for me. Just drink a LOT of water.
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I workout even harder and usually it helps (no fun I know..) but it works! And drink lots of green tea
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    More water, with a few sips if a diet coke:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Water and a good jog. A good jog cures just about anything and clears the mind even of those alcohol cob webs.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, water. Water while drinking, but more importantly, water the next morning. I don't eat anything until I've had 4 glasses of water. That takes the edge off the headache and makes me realize I'm not all that hungry, just dehydrated.

ETA: Drinks are full of calories, but you still have to eat. Alcohol doesn't come with the nutrients your body needs, so make sure you're getting lots of protein and veggies before/during your night out. If you're skipping dinner to have a couple of extra shots, you're going to want to seriously binge the next day.
  • ValMartin79
    ValMartin79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to hungover all the time. To combat it I drink a ton of water the day I know I will have a few and right before make sure to down 2 cups and if I can remember drink another 2 cups during or right before bed. Also take a vitamin or drink vitamin water. This has really saved me from waking up hungover. Also get up a do something. If you aren't sick but just feel like ****, get out of bed and do something. I really find that helps too.

A friend of mine swears by milk thistle. He takes a pill before he drinks. http://milkthistlehangover.com/
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk fixed mine this morning:)
  • theghouse
    theghouse Posts: 9
    Options
    first, stop thinking of your calories as a day to day thing. once you shed the "well i went over on calories this one day, i'm ruined" mindset, you'll do a lot better for yourself. try eating a normal day's amount of calories in food, or very close to it, to ensure the alcohol doesn't hit you too hard. then let the 2 glasses of wine go over your calorie goal. lets just say thats an extra 500 calories.

then you can take those extra 500 calories, and spread them over the next three days. that's ~170 calories a day for those three days. you can either cut 170 calories each day (which in essence is cutting out a snack or making a slightly healthier choice), or burn an extra 170 calories working out each day, or cut two days and burn extra one day, etc etc.

a lot of people take calories per day too literally. you can go over a bit on one day and make up for it over the next few days. at the end of the fourth day, the total amount of calories you ate and burned over those 4 days is the same as it is cutting out calories the day you have your drinks to make it fit your goal. last week i went over 1000 calories one day by splurging on wings and beers, which is practically diet suicide, and the next 5 days i finished 200 calories under my goal. by the end of the week, my totals were the same as if i had eaten to my goal every day, and i still lost weight. and because i had a surplus of calories, i didn't have a hangover.

one thing to avoid would be cutting those 500 calories all in the next day, dropping your daily goal too low. by spreading it out over a few days following, you're staying at a healthier and more manageable goal.