How many lbs does it take to lose a pant size?

Options
2»

Replies

• WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For perspective, here's my experience:

My starting weight was 281 lbs. I've lost 42 lbs as of today.

I started out in a very tight sz 24 (US) pants. Now, my pants are loose enough that they slide down my butt, so I wear a belt. Some of my "work" pants, I've actually taken in the side seams by four inches.

As far as tops, I wore a 26/24, or a 3X, all were tight, but I am fairly large chested. My bras were a 44DD. Now, some tops are noticeably too big. I have one nice top that was falling off of my shoulders because the neckline was cut very wide. It's almost indecent. My bra cups are too big, but the band seems ok. I started wearing my old 42D's. And now I can wear all of my 2X tops comfortably and a man's XL t-shirt comfortably.

My wedding ring is too loose, and I recently had to take a link out of my watch band because my watch was so loose, it looked like a bangle bracelet.

I haven't bought any new clothes yet because I'm a long way from GW. But, I was getting discouraged because my clothing sizes haven't dropped as dramatically as you'd expect with losing 42 pounds.

Thank you for posting this topic, because it has been a big encouragement to read everyone's responses and get a little perspective.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For me, five pounds (I'm already small, so the larger you are, the more pounds between sizes)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Erybody is different. I was rocking 46 or 44 size (holy smokes...I feel so embarrassed) men's pants when I was around 250lbs...Now at 195ish, I can use 32's but I feel weird in them...like they are too tight. So I wear 34s to feel like I have a little room, but most people say they look too big on me.
  • peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options
    it depends. in the begenning it would take me 10-15lbs sometimes to drop a size. now it seems like with even just 3-5 im dropping a size. everyones different,even from whats normal for you at any given time. so just be patient and after you stop worrying and noticing it seems to happen quicker.
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For me it take about 10lbs
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    About 8-10lbs for me.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    There's no simple answer to this one, I guess height is a big factor, as is body composition, for example people who are lifting can not lose much on the scale but lose inches and therefore pants sizes. I have only lost 3lb last few months but have lost a dress size as Im nearly at goal and lifting weights so hopefully maintaining muscle.

For me, iv lost 64lb, 5ft5, gone from size 20 to size 10 pants, I think that's a 6 in US sizes but not sure!
    So that's 5 sizes, so about 12lb per size.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There's no simple answer here - as this depends on how an individual carries their weight - which varies a lot from person to person. Pant size to pant size is the waist measurement and thigh measurements. But different people will reach those ratios at very different weights. And even at optimal weight, some people will carry their weight in different places.

Like another poster, I've lost two pant sizes at this point with my 20 lb loss, and shirts are loser in the arms/waist but going down an entire size in shirts at this point is still difficult as I have a chest that needs accommodating. So - its not really clear cut.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    People lose weight in different spots, not just the waist. For myself, my belly is the LAST place weight comes off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It depends, and really, you don't have to buy pants every time you drop a size. When my size 18 pants started getting loose I went and tried one some new ones, and was shocked to see I could actually close the 14s. I didn't even bother getting 16s. I fit great in 14s now but my 18s still fit, even if they're pretty loose. I'd probably fit in 12s now, I just won't bother buying any probably, and will go straight to 10s (or 8s! hah).
  • Pnutcashew
    Pnutcashew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have lost 28 lbs total and went from a 10 to a 4 or 6.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    5-7 for me.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    It depends. For me, it's 10 pounds.
  • tubamiki
    tubamiki Posts: 3
    Options
    for me about 5 kg which is roughly 10lb.

Another thing i haven't seen mentioned so maybe you don't have this as much, but someone mentioned a size 14 is loose, but a 12 won't do up - here in australia clothing sizes, especially ladies, fluctuate wildly - even within the same brand but different styles I might take different sizes, and I've had the same style fit in different sizes (and they feel exactly the same). So now I don't go so much by what size a tag says - just by the fit and how it feels on - it's a pain if you're in a hurry as you can't grab and run, but until sizing is standardised ..... I used to love fitting a small size and feel depressed if something was a bigger size, but I've come to realise that what size something says it is has no relationship with how it relates to anything else of the same "size", and I've come to realise that my body measurements and changes are the best measure of my all my hard work.

example: I have three pairs of jeans - sizes 10,12,14 - the 10's are a little loose, the 12's are so loose they need a belt, and the 14's are tight but especially on my thigh. So go by fit not tag size

:)
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I noticed in the past when I lost 19 lbs I went from a size 12 to a size 8 (so about 6+ lbs for each dress size). I tend to lose inches faster than pounds.