The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• amaranthine1018
    Options
    It's also awkward when you're trying to lose a relatively small amount of weight, like 10 or 20 pounds. I had dinner with some people the other day, and one person mentioned that they were logging what they ate and trying to lose weight, so I took that opportunity to mention that I'm also trying to lose weight, 10 pounds. He gets sarcastic, goes, "yeah, because you look like you need to lose ten pounds". One of those awkward situations where it's half flattering, half "dude, I'm actually overweight right now, thanks".
  • pdxsarita
    pdxsarita Posts: 1
    Options
    Yikes. Someone recently told me that it looked like the only weight I'd lost was in my boobs. I wanted to kick her.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think that a good response to a lot of the "oh you should try this diet ... or program... or whatever" is, "oh? And how's that working for you?"
  • froschkoenigin
    Options
    I can refer to a lot of you guys! As I lost 55lbs 3 or 4 years ago and there wasn't such a hype about weight loss and all, at least not here in Germany, I had to hear all sorts of mean comments...like "Oh so they're allowing surgeries for underaged girls now?" or people still calling me a fat *kitten* even though my weight was perfectly fine back then..I guess the lack of self confidence and all the mean comments just made me gain it all back...and here I am again.

I really don't get though why people are so mean to others who obviously are dedicated enough to really TRY to reach their goals...I mean, if someone has the willpower of losing those 40lbs than I'm only looking up to him, no bad thoughts... I thought about this fact for a long time but still can't find a solution that makes sense...

Oh and btw, I'm sorry if you have trouble understanding this post but obviously English isn't my first language... :)
  • Scarlet9904
    Scarlet9904 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my son I ended up with hyperemisis so I couldn't eat or drink most of my pregnancy I kept losing weight so I never showed so the worst comments I would get is " pregnant people don't lose weight and show so your lying about being pregnant " Im like oh yeah the ultrasounds with my name and date on it are me lying by the end I lost 100 lbs now people ask me how and I reply a horrible pregnancy I wouldn't wish on anyone
  • ktafr16
    ktafr16 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of people criticize what I am eating and saying " wow, you should probably be eating more." Or " You spend too much time focused on your health." I find it annoying when others have to butt in on my eating and exercise habits. I know my daily calorie intake...worry about yourself!
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight before in college, my favorite ones were "You look different...are you okay?" and "If you lose anymore weight you are gonna disappear." Funny thing being that I was still technically overweight when both of these comments were made. Not sure why people feel they have to say something other than "you look good" cause you know that is what they mean to say.
  • maryofthecross26
    Options
    Alot have been things like

My aunt= " now you'll be beautiful"

or when I lost alot of pounds, my sister saying. " you look like a slut"
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was told if I lost any more weight, I would look "hollow eyed" like a Holocaust Jew.

Kid you not!
  • gimmecoffeeiv
    gimmecoffeeiv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 35 pounds in the last year and It is noticeable. My favorite comment or question: "What's your secret?" Not really a crazy comment but they usually do not like my answer to that question. I usually get real close like I am going to tell them a secret, and then I say -- It's not a secret. Anyone can do it. Exercise and eat the right foods. Then they usually say, Oh, that's easy for you! ugh. It wasn't all that easy all the time but not as hard as they think it will be! Ya know?
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My favorite didn't happen to me, it happened to my brother:

We were visiting my aunt and she hadn't seen either of us in a year. She is a very blunt and crass woman, she has no filter, her English isn't the best so sometimes things she says are very poorly worded, and she's partially deaf so she practically yells when she speaks. Visiting with her is always glorious. Any way, the last time she saw my brother, he was about 70 pounds heavier than he was when we were visiting her and she tells him: "Ah! What happened! You got the AIDS?! I told you ex-wife was no good! Inside! We have soup and talk!"

She's a riot.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    People have mostly been supportive, but I've had a few conversations where someone will ask what I'm doing that day and I mention I'm going to the gym and they say, "Oh...the gym? Why?" as if it's going to be the wrong answer if I say I'm trying to lose weight. That's annoying.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Today while eating my lunch of Mesquite grilled chicken breast, brocolli and small red potato with plain greek yogurt a girl that I do not even know says "Are you trying to eat healthy?" and I said "NO, I eat healthy." then she proceeds to say "I've been low-carb'n it for a while now and have lost 40lbs and I go to the Y ever single day".

Good for you.....leave me to my lunch please.
  • rmn79
    rmn79 Posts: 39
    Options
    Certain members of my family say I look sick and emaciated and if I am on drugs? lol
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    "When are you going to stop?"

Seriously...why would I stop?

I get this one all the time. In fact, my mother just asked me this yesterday.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    MIne too has been people asking me what pill I was on. For some reason they had a hard time accepting that I dropped 90 pounds by simple diet and exercise. I try to tell them all the time that I didn't start a diet I changed my life, but they still want to know what the magic pill was. Now I say water, veggies and lots of sunshine :smile:

The cutest for me was my grandma when she saw me last year she was impressed with my weight loss and then expressed concern over how skinny I looked. She gently tapped my leg and said Honey you look too thin, come with me I'm gonna make you a sandwich. LOL I laugh because I know that she is just being who she is and she is grandma and tends to worry a lot. So even though I would have declined that from someone else I allowed that to be my cheat for the week and let her 'tend' to her granddaughter LOL

That's so adorable! I would've eaten the sandwich too! :smile:
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It was suggested to me that I looked shorter this week. I get what they were saying, I've clearly always been a bit of a shortie, but with some of the weight gone, I'm actually starting to look a bit petit.
  • phetsanie
    phetsanie Posts: 9
    Options
    I had someone ask me how much I was trying to lose, and I said I wanted to get back down to my high school weight (128lbs. I'm 5'3"). When I told her, she asked, "Are you sure you'll be able to do that at your age?" I'm 29, so yeah.. I don't think my age will be a problem
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Most folks don't want to hear that you're just eating less and exercising. They're looking for a magic bullet that doesn't involve much sacrifice.

That's why I tell them I eat bacon for breakfast.
  • rmn79
    rmn79 Posts: 39
    Options
    Some people just want to cling to their excuses for not changing. "Once you have kids you gain weight, after a certain age it's very hard to lose weight, etc. When they see others in similar situations being successful at what they claim is impossible it makes them uncomfortable.