Digital or Analog Scale?

Options
Studies after studies have indicated that digital scales are more accurate than analog scales. Also, digital scales will last longer because they don't depend on springs what wear out overtime. Any thoughts?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really thought about the springs on the analog. I think a digital would be more accurate simply because you are getting a number and not having to decipher between little lines. Also, any movements, no matter how small, will make the needle jump and probably land somewhere else. I just bought a new digital one today so we'll see how I do with it.
  • carrie145
    Options
    I have noticed that the digital scale at the gym and Dr.'s office have a different number than my analog scale at home. I've been thinking about getting a digital one for home.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did a lot of research on the whole digital versus analog scale debate and found that digital scales are a way better investment then an analog. It has to do with the calibration. Digital scales are very accurately calibrated each time you turn them on and step on them. However with the analog, the calibration is never quite perfect. I mean... you'll never get perfect either way but that's one piece of info that helped us make our decision as to which we would use. :)
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have both and I have to say I like my Digital better, I hadn't thought about a Analog wearing out quicker. I haven't used the Analog in awhile but now I'm going to have to try it out when I get home and see how much of a difference there is.
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the quality of your digital too. Somedays I'll get on mine and it will say one thing, then I'll get on it a little while later and it will be completely different. So they are known for inaccuracies to where the analog at least you know it will be closer to the correct "true" number. So I call 50/50 on that one.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I can barely read an analogue clock!!! Digital scale for me, dude.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I always use digital just because it will hold the number and you can get off to look at it :bigsmile: The analog scale moves around as you move or bend over to look at the number :( And I actually DID think about the springs wearing out!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital scale a few years ago it is the best scale ever!!!
  • blel0906
    Options
    I prefer digital but am using a cheap analog right now...My last digital scale broke, it would keep flashing then say err and when i would get a number it would come up with crazy numbers like 35 lbs..Yes I tried new batteries
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have an analog and I really don't like it. I have to calibrate it myself every time (line it up to 0 using a little knob) and every time I'm worried I didn't get it exactly on. Also, I'm the kind of person who loves decimal points, and analog doesn't show me that :)
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the quality of your digital too. Somedays I'll get on mine and it will say one thing, then I'll get on it a little while later and it will be completely different. So they are known for inaccuracies to where the analog at least you know it will be closer to the correct "true" number. So I call 50/50 on that one.

That will happen with any scale, your weight is constantly changing threw out the day and week depending on a zillion different things. Its why they tell you to weigh in on the same day and at the same time.
  • allthatnme
    allthatnme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Definitely digital!
  • SafariLara
    Options
    Digital. my analog one from ages ago was always at least five pounds off (meaning i thought i weighed alot less than i do)
    My digital one is awesome and accurate. Except sometimes it gets confused and the weight bounces around a bit before deciding what weight to tell me i am
  • MellowBlueCat
    Options
    I agree with that other girl, depends on the quality and how you set it up. I have an Eat Smart scale that matches the scale in my doctor's office, and I can step on it 2 or 3 times in a matter of 2 minutes and it will give me 3 different numbers ranging from 163-167. No one's body changes that much in 2 minutes.. I have to set it up very carefully in order to get an accurate number. I really hate it
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's 2013 man....digital.