Stationary Bike?

Options
SO. People keep telling me that theres no real point in using a stationary bike because it doesnt burn as many calories and doesnt "work"

My theory is that I want nice legs and since my legs are moving on the bike, thats good lol

Opinions? Success stories with it maybe?

Replies

• rygma2010
    rygma2010 Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't know why someone would say that. I ride 30-45 minutes a day.. I feel it all the way up to my lower stomach..and yes it tones legs:smile:
  • WhosThirsty
    WhosThirsty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The key is to keep your heart rate at a number above 90 and below 150 (for most).

Personally, I keep mine above 140, but it takes me about 3-4 minutes to work up to it.

I stay riding at that rate for 15-25 minutes. There is a good formula for calculating your calories burned using your BPM, age, sex, and time on the bike. Let me look it up and I'll share it.
  • WhosThirsty
    Options
    I'm fairly certain this is applicable to most anything:

Calculate the calories that you burned if you're male.

This is given by the equation C = (0.6309 x H + 0.2017 x A + 0.09036 x W - 55.0969) x time / 4.184.

C = Calories burned
    H = average heart rate in bpm,
    A = age in years,
    W = weight in pounds
    T = length of the exercise session in minutes.

Step 4
    If you're FEMALE C = (0.4472 x H - 0.05741 x W + 0.074 x A - 20.4022) x time / 4.184.

Assume you're a 31-year-old female weighing 124 pounds.
    Your exercise session was 30 minutes long
    Your average heart rate during the exercise session was 132 bpm.

You burned C = (0.4472 x 132 - 0.05741 x 124 + 0.074 x 31 - 20.4022) x 30 / 4.184 = 242 calories during your exercise session.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/73386-convert-heart-rate-calories-burned/#ixzz2SRPsh0QR
  • WhosThirsty
    Options
    I have made a quick spreadsheet in Excel where all you have to do is plug in C, H, A, W, & T and it will automatically calculate it for you. If you want, I can e-mail it to you, just message me your e-mail. This is helpful for calculating the calories burned for different exercises over the course of time and not having to look up the formula/calculate it each time.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I go to spin class and I burn 450+ calories in an hour, from what the bike tells me. I find it is a good workout.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn a lot of calories but it's definitely better than sitting your butt on the couch. I use an interval timer app and it does burn a bit more cals than just pedaling away.
  • misssalley
    misssalley Posts: 12
    Options
    Thats really helpful of you! Thanks but no need to email. I think I got it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    SO. People keep telling me that theres no real point in using a stationary bike because it doesnt burn as many calories and doesnt "work"

My theory is that I want nice legs and since my legs are moving on the bike, thats good lol

Opinions? Success stories with it maybe?

I don't know if stationary bike will give you nice legs but I liked my bike and I used to burn decent cals on it. Specially with higher resistance. I was very sad when I had to sell it before I moved.

Anytime you're working, no matter how, you're burning cals and thats all that matters. Be it biking, walking, running, boxing, weight lifting. It all adds up!
  • misssalley
    misssalley Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the responses and advice! I really appreciate it and Im going to keep on the bike :)
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This really helps thanks
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For me it's 75% as efficient as running.

I can do 400 kcal running in 30 mins, and 300 kcal doing stationary bike in 30 mins.

Tonight I did 66 minutes on stationary bike which gave me 700 kcals. That's still fine in my book. It just depends what mood I'm in.
  • bonniecarbtoo
    Options
    Some time ago I was inactive except for chair exercise, because of morton's neuroma. When it started healing, I started taking slow strolls for 30 minutes a day. I was told by a "nut" that I was wasting my time.
  • rheinrich17
    rheinrich17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love my bike ... and, since it's in my house and always available, I can't use the excuse of the weather or not wanting to go to a gym to skip exercising. Yes, there may be more efficient ways to burn calories, but I figure anything that keeps me moving almost every day is better than a gym membership that I would probably not use.
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    I have a stationary bike at my house and use it just about every day. I try to pair it with a Jilian Michaels workout or my own weight lifting. I feel if your moving your burning calories so it doesn't matter how :)
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yep, no excuses when you have one at home, better than no exercise and gives you good legs, but and good a cardio! Who ever said that was wrong.Like saying a treadmill is no good at all since you are not "really" walking. Keep it up, enjoy and remember you are lapping the person on the couch!
  • brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have made a quick spreadsheet in Excel where all you have to do is plug in C, H, A, W, & T and it will automatically calculate it for you. If you want, I can e-mail it to you, just message me your e-mail. This is helpful for calculating the calories burned for different exercises over the course of time and not having to look up the formula/calculate it each time.

LOL! I'm no spreadsheet wizard, so it took me about 30 mins to get this right ... then I read this post! Could have just asked for the e-mail

Thanks for the formula. though!
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    so I have a question is a stationary bike as good as going out and riding on a real bike? I go out at least 2 days a week for 10-12miles but would love a stationary bike at home as well is it worth it
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    so I have a question is a stationary bike as good as going out and riding on a real bike? I go out at least 2 days a week for 10-12miles but would love a stationary bike at home as well is it worth it

I wear my HRM while riding and find I get a much higher burn riding on the road than on the stationary bike. However the stationary bike is a great alternative when the weather is bad. I also mix in sprint intervals and 'climbs' indoors - it adds to the burn and breaks up the monotony.
  • WhosThirsty
    Options
    The stationary bike I use lets me pretty much lean forward and rest my head and not really have to look up. Really helps when you're pushing 155BPM and you're struggling.

On a bike, if I rested my head and didn't look up, I'd have a lot more problems than keeping my heart rate at 155BPM!