Chronic pain and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    I am tired of having to save up energy! I need to make dinner so I can't do X. I have to take the kids to their bowling league so I will have to grab something for supper because I can't do both. Someone was describing fibromialgia and the spoon theory and I thought OH MY GOD that is how I feel. That I only have so much energy then I am just done.
    I do compare myself to the ME of 15 years ago. Or I compare myself to my friends. Now keep in mind my friends are (and I say this with all the love in the world) mostly granola eating, non dairy healthy smoothy drinking, no sweets, jogging, New Age type of people. Even at my best I never compared with them. :)

Michelle
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic migraines, COPD (chronic bronchitis) asthma, IBS, allergies and had hip surgery Jan 3rd of this year. You can do it.
  • Ready4Thin
    Ready4Thin Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there! Do you guys participate on the Group for Chronic pain and weight loss? I found it yesterday while exploring here. I just joined here yesterday. I have RA and Fibro, and I am so scared to start exercising even though I know it would probably be good for me. It's like someone said, if I am having a good pain day where I feel like I might be able to do something active, I KNOW that by the time I am done (and probably for the next day) I will feel rotten and be full of pain. It's such a vicious cycle.

~ready~
  • sweetums2
    sweetums2 Posts: 14
    Options
    First and foremost, thank you for your service. Thank you for trying to keep us safe and sacrificing so very much. I fell while building a tank engine and injured my spine, neck, and shoulder. Your problems sound much like mine. Although, I think my knee problems will get better as I lose weight or get a replacement. I love my garden now. I always liked plants but now my yard and garden means so much more. It is my sanctuary. I work hard in my yard. Hard for me but also I find so much peace from knowing I can still accomplish something good. I think peace of mind is half the battle when trying to do anything. My health is much more important than my weight to me (even though I need to lose 100+) but they are so entwined that it is easy to forget what I am trying to accomplish. Lie you I go overboard and work too hard and find myself laid up for a while. How do you deal with finding balance because I think that is the key to everything?
  • oskybosky4
    oskybosky4 Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi, I have psoriatic arthritis and have had 2 knee and 1 hip replacement and the other hip will need doing sometime soon. I was told low impact exercise would be best, like exercise in water, stationary bike, cross trainer. I can't afford to join a gym and even if I did I can't imagine I would go as the pain I get is unpredicable and random, my fingers swell and get painful, my big toes get painful and almost any joint can get painful. Having said this I have good days when I feel in my head I can do more things but I have learned over the last 22 years that its not a good idea to overdo it even if I feel I can as payback comes the next day or the day after and I have lots of stiffness and pain which lasts from a few days to a few weeks.
    Today I tried Leslie Sansome walk at home on YouTube - level 1 - 1 mile. It took 15 minutes and I managed it, got a bit breathless, heart beating faster and felt warmer so I guess it did me good. I will try this again tomorrow if I feel ok. Perhaps this is something you could try. There are lots of exercise aids on YouTube, I also did the arm exercises for the over 60s. Anything is better than nothing.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I also have fibro, arthritis, and just recently sprained my back - but I do what I can without doing more damage. I know I just need to do the best I can. I have to get some exercise in and moving is the best deal in town for pain. :flowerforyou:
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The main thing to remember is not to compare yourself to other people there. I used to do that. I would get frustrated with myself and think, what a loser...I can't jog for longer than a few minutes without a walk break...well those other runners out there may not have titanium in their backs or knee problems....maybe they do....Just don't compare yourself to them....compare yourself to you! Look at the brightside and see how much you improve over time and use that as motivation. I did my first 5 k, and then my second and was jogging the entire way! You work your way up to it.

This is huge. I actually got really upset and insulted at work the other day. My co-workers and I were talking about running and working out (since they know I do both). It came up that I run 14-15 minute miles. They laughed soooo hard at me, telling me they can walk that fast, and that it's not running so why do I even bother? When I said I walk 18-20 minute miles and struggle to walk a 15 minute mile they laughed even harder :cry: I explained the nature of my physical limitations, and how I'm proud of what I can do since I was told I would never run again and would never again be as active as I am. When you have chronic pain and injuries, you often have to find that inner strength to push through despite what others think and be willing to stand up for yourself if you need to.

That's really awful, I can't believe they laughed at you like that. How cruel. I'm glad you stood up for yourself - I probably would've just cried!