help finding low carb calories

Options
Hi - I am trying to limit the amount of carbs I take in daily but have found as I cut carbs, my calories tend to go down to a level where it says I'm 150-200 calories under what I should be eating. Maybe that's not enough to worry about but I want to make sure I'm being healthy too - especially looking for "snack" items to increase -a little! -calorie count w/out the carbs!?

Replies

• lorieaucoin
    lorieaucoin Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to about 110g of carbs a day - I have Total for breakfast w/ almond milk (or egg beaters on the weekend), and usually either tuna salad or fish salad with wasa crackers for lunch, and then for dinner I usually have mashed cauliflower, green beans and chicken (or fish and brown rice). For a snack, I usually have shrimp salad with a couple wasa crackers.

I know what you mean though - it's hard to get the calories without going over your carbs.

Try not to eat less than 1200 calories/day. :)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I was low carb for quite a while and it worked pretty well for me, I still maintain it most days now out of habit.
    The key is to just keep whatever carbs you are eating to a low percentage of your plate. So instead of having a bowl of pasta, have a handful and have lots of vegetables and meat on the plate to substitute.
    I found it was easier when I replaced the carbs with protein (e.g. bread/pasta for meats).
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    hard-boiled eggs!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    We cant see your diary so have no idea what carb limit you've set yourself, or what sort of foods you are eating.

Meats, cheese, and eggs will be your low-carb go-tos.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Have a handful of nuts. 50 grams of almonds is about 300 calories, and full of proteins and healthy fats. Very concentrated energy, and if you eat them raw you don't get extra salt or sugar with them.

Also, if you want a snack; really dark chocolate. As an example: 40 gram of 88% chocolate contains 230 calories, most of the weight is fat, and less than 5 gram are sugar. Cocoa solids contain a lot of healthy antioxidants and trace minerals that we often miss in other foods, so it's a healthy little low-carb snack, too!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    cheese sticks are a great low carb/ low cal snack
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm not strict on carbs, but I do find I have better results when I don't snack on carbs. For snacks, I typically have nuts (pistachios are my favorite) and fruit - usually an apple.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    There are are series of cookbooks that came out during the low carb craze a few years ago that have great recipes. They are by Dana Carpender. Some of the recipes are in no way healthy...or low Cal...but there are some we still use even though we don't low carb anymore. Check out the heroin wings recipe ....omg, so good!
  • BikerChickAlice
    BikerChickAlice Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you want calories up and carbs down, check out the scotch eggs on my website. They are so good and so low carb. They'll probably bump you up to your target calories if you are missing just a couple hundred.

http://mrsscalesrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/04/scotch-eggs-gluten-free-low-carb.html
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i'll usually have a bowl of cottage cheese and/or a spoonful of almond butter. only like 7g carbs between them
  • brysco11
    brysco11 Posts: 3
    Options
    I found I was having the same issue so I started eating Greek yogurt for snacks. It is very satisfying, comes in low-fat options too and so many good flavors!