http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2

^^^how is that not good?

Nutrition-Comparison-Table.jpg

potatoes_table.gif

Replies

• kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i guess it comes down to personal opinions and decisions. but i choose not to eat potatoes.

yes, potatoes have nutritious components, such as B vitamins, vitamin C, and some excellent minerals. But all those good things can't save it from being a starch bomb that hits your system like a bag of candy.

Dr. Spreen explains, a baked potato is as close to a pure, refined starch as you can get without actually refining it.
    Dr. Spreen: "As soon as a starch hits enzymes in your mouth, the starches begin the digestion process, and breaks down to (you guessed it) sugar. As soon as the starch breaks down to sugar, you're back to a refined simple carb."

and those refined simple carbs are the ones that increase abdominal fat, promote weight gain, and help set the stage for type 2 diabetes.
    and most recipes call for peeling the skin off potatoes. but that's where most of the nutrients are!
  • Witch27
    Witch27 Posts: 4
    Options
    It is good!
    But it's mostly served fried or processed in some way so it's got a bad reputation thanks to fries!
    It's a whole food, and when prepared in a healthy way it's awesome =]
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I love my taters, eat one almost every night.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I live in a country where potatoes cost a lot, and I have some blood sugar issues, but I still eat them from time to time. I have to put a lot of butter and sour cream on them to make them taste yummy,so I don't eat them if I am actively trying to lose. To each there own.
  • phoenix3050
    phoenix3050 Posts: 56
    Options
    Spikes your blood sugar...for those of us pre-diabetic, not a good thing. :(
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, OP (and of course recognize that others feel differently.) I try to keep my carbs around 100 grams a day. I have cut out most rice, pasta, bread, etc. But once a week or so, I microwave a potato, scoop out most of the middle, add a little sour cream, and eat the skin. It's a yummy treat!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. And will keep eating them. But not fried, and always with some protein. No such thing as a bad vegetable!
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes nutritionally wise they have benefits, But much research show the effect simple carbs have on our body, So I prefer to stay away. I really don't want to spike my blood sugar and risk storing fat over a potato. Plus I really do refer sweet potatoes there so much yummier and there complex carbs win win for me
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    i guess it comes down to personal opinions and decisions. but i choose not to eat potatoes.

yes, potatoes have nutritious components, such as B vitamins, vitamin C, and some excellent minerals. But all those good things can't save it from being a starch bomb that hits your system like a bag of candy.

Dr. Spreen explains, a baked potato is as close to a pure, refined starch as you can get without actually refining it.
    Dr. Spreen: "As soon as a starch hits enzymes in your mouth, the starches begin the digestion process, and breaks down to (you guessed it) sugar. As soon as the starch breaks down to sugar, you're back to a refined simple carb."

and those refined simple carbs are the ones that increase abdominal fat, promote weight gain, and help set the stage for type 2 diabetes.
    and most recipes call for peeling the skin off potatoes. but that's where most of the nutrients are!

Says the lady with a plate full of fruit as her profile pic...*wink* *nudge*
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    in one medium spud, 170 cals worth of starch.

that's not much of a spike. i'm not feeling alarmed.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Because people are scared of them.

Unless you are diabetic or prediabetic, there is not a dang thing wrong with them. However, carbs are considered "evil" still just like fat used to be considered "evil". So you have a lot of perfectly healthy individuals restricting themselves for no reason besides they believe what a handful of others say.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No argument....they are fabulous. I love them. But a medium, baked potato with skin is contains about 35g of carbs. My meal limit is 45. Doesn't leave me much wiggle room. I do eat potatoes on occasion but a very small serving.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Says the lady with a plate full of fruit as her profile pic...*wink* *nudge*

That's exactly what I was thinking...
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25 pounds eating a potato almost daily. I should go back to doing that again!
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    On behalf of Ireland, I endorse potatoes 100%.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Best thing about them is their versatility... And hash browns with garlic, cheese and onions:)
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    yup! i love fruit!
    but i've always been on a low carb diet, so that's why i don't eat fruit or potatoes much.
    it's always in moderation.

i don't mean to pick fights or anything, we all have our different opinions.
    potatoes are low glycemic - and their carbs aren't similar to fruits. fruits are sugars without the refinement, they're nature's candy. potatoes are roots so they're a bit more starchy and a lot more spike in blood sugar comes with that.

to each their own.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely choose a potato over white rice or white pasta any day and I keep the skin in everything but the occasional mashed potato.

If you don't have a medical reason to exclude something I believe in everything in moderation.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I eat Pakistani cuisine alot and its a norm in that food. Bet alot of folks didn't knew that! Potatoes are awesome! I think they got a bad rep during the whole "low carb" diet fad and it still carried over. Potatoes have lots of nutrition and depending on what you serve it with along with how you prepare it, it can be low-cal or high cal, nutritious overall or just plain tasty but not as nutritious.

Personally for me I have to weight my cals in terms of nutrition vs. taste. I had homemade fries today after a long time and it was worth it today for me even though nutritionally its not worth it but for my taste, its worth it. Can I afford to eat french fries daily? No because I prefer to get higher nutrition via other sources (and besides, french fries daily kinda get old for me).

Just eat the damn potato because they be awesome!

AUQGP6l.gif
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Potatoes make life good.