Any idea for side dishes?

Options
Pretty tired of eating steamed veggies. Do you have any skinny side dishes for me?

Replies

• ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bake or roast your vegetables! Brown rice or quinoa.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Baked or roasted sweet potatoes
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Greek salad: English or Persian cucumber (no peeling that way), tomato and sweet onion with Greek dressing. Even the regular non diet Greek dressings usually only run about 50 calories for a tablespoon and they're strong-tasting so you don't need much.
  • Delll2013
    Delll2013 Posts: 73
    Options
    I suggest a green lentil salad. Lentils are very versatile and you can combine them with many other vegetables. There's plenty of recipes out there, just find the one that best matches you taste.

I also suggest spinach with garlic and lemon. You can spice up you broccoli by roasting it with almond flakes, pine seeds and a pinch of chilli to boost your metabolism.
  • Karentrobe
    Karentrobe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also suggest spinach with garlic and lemon. You can spice up you broccoli by roasting it with almond flakes, pine seeds and a pinch of chilli to boost your metabolism.
    does chilli powder really do that? i was doing the lemon and chilli powder and was told i wasnt accomplishing anything and that it was a myth.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just discovered a kale/broccoli slaw that is so tasty! I have also made it a full lunch by adding sunflower and pumpkin seeds to it. It was in with the prepackaged salads at the farmers market.

I also pan fry (minimal olive oil) zucchini slices with a little pepper. Roasting veggies is always good too. I particularly like roasting squash and yams.

Actually, I've added quinoa and a touch of light cheese to my roasted squash to make a makeshift casserole for lunches.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've found lots of recipes for a cauliflower mash and bean salads.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    you could do a fritatta/quiche...i usually puree the more fiberous veggies like broccoli and celery. you could either pop it in muffin cups or smooth it on a cookie sheet to make flatbread. or make it into hotcakes! :)

i would also suggest a light stir fry or broil. leave off the sauce, or at the very least, toss with something like lemon juice and garlic.
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    Three Bean Salad. I open three cans, Green beans, wax beans, and dark red kidney beans (drained) . Toss together in a bowl. add your favorite vingarette salad dressing. I bring it to potlucks too.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    cauliflower rice
    sweet potato
    beans

:)
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been making a Tabbouleh salad with quinoa instead of the traditional bulger. It's got lots of fresh mint and parsley, tomatoes, red onions, olive oil and lemon juice. Super yummy!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes - roasted, baked, boiled...
    fresh vegetables - any mix
    pineapple + lettuce + grapes salat
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Screw the side dishes, just throw it all together in a nice one pot dish!

Or look at my diary, I cook for myself a lot and make a wide variety of plant based whole food meals.
  • kenjo123
    kenjo123 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you ever tried cucumber salad? Its so easy to make, just 2-3 seedless cucumbers sliced thin,dill fresh or dried to taste,, 1/3 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup water and a 1/3 cup sugar. I use the sugar equivalent of stevia.which is 8 packets. put the cucumbers in a bowl and add a bit of salt and let in sit in fridge for a hour or two, this takes some of the water from the cucumbers. Then drain them and add the rest of the ingredients that have been mix together. I use these in salads , on sandwiches or just a side with fish and chicken. its crunchy and refreshing. I hope this helps. PS: to make the slicing easy I use the large slot on a regular cheese grater, it does the job quickly.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Small baked potato with a bit of light butter or light sour cream
    Butternut squash roasted with a tiny sprinkle of brown sugar.
    Spaghetti squash (I've always wanted to try it but never have)
    Sliced strawberries and/or pear slices with balsamic vinaigrette for a sweet/tangy side
    Big pile of sauteed mushrooms
    Stir fry veggies with a bit of low sodium soy sauce (instead of steamed veggies)
    Or try some of those Mrs. Dash flavor sprinkles with your steamed veg to boost/change the flavor, like Lemon Pepper or Chipotle
  • lorieaucoin
    lorieaucoin Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower - this is the recipe I use http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html. I use 2 tablespoons of light cream cheese and sprinkle butter instead though
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus with lemon infused olive oil, with fresh ground pepper and sea salt.

Mixed green salad with the millions of combinations of flavored oils and flavored vinegars (my favorite: dark chocolate balsamic vinegar with blood orange olive oil- OMG...)

Tomatoes, fresh buffalo mozz cheese, basil drizzled with olive oil

fruit salsa made with fresh strawberries, grapes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, lime for fish or chicken.

Steamed veggies should be used only for nights that are super crazy and there's no other option!! ;)
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Couscous salad; cooked couscous, cilantro, chopped cherry tomatoes, cucumber, chick peas, celery, garlic, onions, a little olive oil, lime juice, & salt & pepper to taste.

Also just saw a recipe today for Brocoli salad that I am going to try: Brocoli, tomatoes, onions, garlic, black olives, mushrooms, and low fat italian dressing.
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. So many great ideas,
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have cottage cheese as a side on occasion.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bacon.