Replies

• LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I love the spud
  • Imani9629
    Imani9629 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Right like my family always gets on me for eating potatoes since I'm supposed to be healthy and I try to explain that a potato is a vegetable, even if fast food restaurants make them unhealthy and this just proves my point
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I believe potatoes have earned a bad reputation from a weight gain perspective because they are so tasty in things like french fries and potato chips and it is so easy and fun to eat a lot. By eating to much people put weight on but the food gets the bad reputation. So potatoes are not bad from a weight gain perspective and in fact have phenominal nutritional value. Eating to many potatoes is bad from a weight gain perspective.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    On behalf of Ireland, I endorse potatoes 100%.
    I endorse your endorsement!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    To each his own - For me potatoes done the right way are a welcome member of a balanced diet.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    God created the potato.

And Satan said, "Let there be sour cream..."
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Potatoes eat them every day...boiled, mashed, baked...nom nom nom
  • RunEatLift
    RunEatLift Posts: 68
    Options
    i'm irish so potatoes are basically a compulsory food group. i have them baked or mashed or sauteed or roasted mmmm!
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes - must be the Irish in me - although I don't eat them too often, when I do it's amazing!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Though I love potatoes and do consume them on occasion, I also remember a teaching about food exchanges years gone by when potatoes were listed as a "bread exchange." They are very starchy. Sweet potatoes, surprisingly, are much better for you, having a much lower glycemic level and fewer calories per ounce. So, I steer toward sweet potatoes and, for even more mashed alternatives, butternut squash or mashed cauliflower.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Even diabetics can have them. You count carbs and it doesnt matter for blood sugar if the 30 grams in a small baked potatoe or a cup of ice cream. It is the fact that potatoes also offer nutrients and ice cream offers little except for dairy. Only indulging in sugar rich foods will not help a person to meet all of their nutritional needs. Adding a protein helps to not have sugar spikes as well.

All things in moderation. As far as sugar spikes, oat meal or milk cause mine to raise way faster than potatoes.. each individual must learn their own trigger foods. You have to use the numbers in a book as a guide but get to know your own body.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I totally love potatoes :heart:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    yup! i love fruit!
    but i've always been on a low carb diet, so that's why i don't eat fruit or potatoes much.
    it's always in moderation.

i don't mean to pick fights or anything, we all have our different opinions.
    potatoes are low glycemic - and their carbs aren't similar to fruits. fruits are sugars without the refinement, they're nature's candy. potatoes are roots so they're a bit more starchy and a lot more spike in blood sugar comes with that.

to each their own.

Can you answer this question for me?

What are you talking about?

The glycemic index is a measurement in the spike in post-prandial (after consumption) blood sugar vs. pure glucose. They use pure glucose as the base measurement of 100.

Also, you've contradicted yourself in your post. Potatoes can't be low glycemic and cause "a lot more spike in blood sugar". High glycemic foods are those with a GI of more than 55. Low GI foods are less than 55.

Just to get the facts straight, potatoes with skin have a GI of 69.* That's a fairly high score. But you can't say that it cause more of a blood sugar spike than fruit because it absolutely depends on the type of fruit that you're talking about. Take for example watermelon. A serving of watermelon has a GI of 72,* which means that it spikes blood sugar higher than potatoes and it's also considered a high GI food. Apples on the other hand have a GI of 40 which would make them a low GI food. *

*All GI values found using http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php which is maintained by the University of Sydney.

Edit: spelling
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    On behalf of Ireland, I endorse potatoes 100%.

Newfoundland joins you!

Nothing wrong with potatoes. Too many food racists these days.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    According to Rick Gallop's (the former president and CEO of the Ontario Hearth and Stroke Foundation) Glycemic Index diet books, potatoes are ok if cooked in a healthy manner. He recommends boiling NEW potatoes. The starch levels in potatoes increases as they sit, so avoid any that have been sitting in the pantry for too long.

I like to boil new baby potatoes and serve with a slight touch of olive oil, and pepper (sometime garlic too).
  • bulkbrah89
    bulkbrah89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Spuds,turnip,cabbage and a lump of bacon mashed together... food of the gods.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I EAT THEM WHEN THEY ARE ON SALE]
    I EAT THEM BAKED PLAIN AND ITS LIKE 150 CALS....
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    i guess it comes down to personal opinions and decisions. but i choose not to eat potatoes.

yes, potatoes have nutritious components, such as B vitamins, vitamin C, and some excellent minerals. But all those good things can't save it from being a starch bomb that hits your system like a bag of candy.

Dr. Spreen explains, a baked potato is as close to a pure, refined starch as you can get without actually refining it.
    Dr. Spreen: "As soon as a starch hits enzymes in your mouth, the starches begin the digestion process, and breaks down to (you guessed it) sugar. As soon as the starch breaks down to sugar, you're back to a refined simple carb."

and those refined simple carbs are the ones that increase abdominal fat, promote weight gain, and help set the stage for type 2 diabetes.
    and most recipes call for peeling the skin off potatoes. but that's where most of the nutrients are!

Yeah, yeah. I eat potatoes probably 2-3 times a week. I lost all my weight and am maintaining with a BMI of 18. I think I'll keep eating potatoes and every other whole food in moderation.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My mother served boiled potatoes with almost every meal when I was little. I hate boiled potatoes. I like scalloped potatoes, potatoes dauphinoise, greek roasted potatoes and fried potatoes, but boiled and baked potatoes can just **** right off.
  • IeshaMonica93
    Options
    I LOVE potatoes.

red + sweet. (White potatoes tend to be watery so I stay away)

No one could ever convince me to not eat them!

If you eat them fried all the time of course it's bad for you, like anything.

I love mine steamed with lots of veggies, but you can't beat a sweet jacket potatoe. NOM.

Why can't people just eat things in moderation (unless you have health reasons of course ) instead of banning it completely?!

The mind boggles.