All weather data tracking

Options
ze_hombre
ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
I currently run using Endomondo with a Bluetooth HRM and have grown addicted to having the data available for post run analysis. However, its pouring outside and doesn't look to let up any time this weekend. I am not adverse to running in the rain, but my equipment is. I thought about using a Ziploc bag or something, but that would mean I would have to carry my phone since I already have to take it out of the OtterBox to fit in my arm strap and it still barely fits.

Anyone have some advice on some kind of similar setup where I can track with GPS and HRM and maybe have some music capability but would be waterproof? Ideally I would like something that can sync up to MyFitnessPal, but its not required.

Replies

• ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The bluetooth issue seems easy... a ziplock bag for your phone will work, i don't think you need one for the HRM. I mean we sweat and they do get wet.

If ziplock back is all I had at the moment, then i'll cut a very small hole for in the bag for my cord for ear phones. Then put electrical tape around it to seal it up. The tape will be around the headphone wire then over the bag.

It also depends on the type of phone you have, i mean you can buy waterproof cases... but make sure it fits it.

Yeah, I thought long and hard about the plastic bag approach. I am just paranoid about taking a $600 phone out in the rain. I am also not completely happy with the phone approach. I would like to see my HR while running, which means doing a weird twisting motion to bring my arm around to view the screen, turn the screen back on (which is a pain because the button is awkward when in the arm strap), unlock the screen, then view the app. I have also had exercises stopped mid run because the screen on the arm strap touches the pause button.

Also, while I don't have access to a pool yet, I would like something that can handle swimming as well. Not a requirement today, but if I can find someone who would let me 'borrow' their pool a couple times a week I would love to do laps on cross training days.