Drinking Diet Soda & Coffee w/ Skim Milk & Splenda Daily?

Options
sncfan
sncfan Posts: 14 Member
Hi all,

I ran a 10K last month, so in the months leading up to that I was eating healthy and working out a lot. I was really excited and proud of my progress. Since then, I got in "finals mode" and have been working out less, eating bad foods, etc. I've put on about 4 lbs since I ran the 10K last month. (Somedays the scale tells me I've only put on 2 lbs. Idk).

I'm determined to get back on track before I really put on all the weight again. I don't mind cutting back on a lot of the junk food (like burgers, fries, candy, etc), that I've been eating this past month, but this past month introduced me to Diet Dr. Pepper. I really like it. It's 0 calories and if it won't interfere with weight loss, I want to keep drinking it. What do ya'll think? Is it ok to drink a can or two of Diet Dr. Pepper a day?

Same thing w/ Iced Coffee (or hot coffee) w/ Skim Milk & Splenda. Are these two drinks ok to have on a daily basis?

Sorry, if this has been hashed out a thousand times.

Replies

• charl_hcafc
    charl_hcafc Posts: 50
    Options
    I used to drink a LOT of Diet Coke thinking it was fine. Granted it's better than full fat Coca Cola but Diet has lots of stuff added to it to make up for the taste lost due to lack of sugar (think sweeteners and aspartame). I stopped drinking it when I joined my gym in August, only have one glass as a 'treat' when I go out for meals. I swear by water now which has improved my skin hugely and I actually enjoy drinking it!

As for coffee, I have mine black now after adding semi-skimmed milk for basically my whole life. Took me a while to get used to it though. Important to remember the benefits of caffeine but also acknowledge what too much can do to your body.

edit: I am running my first 10K in two weeks time! :smile:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't listen to that ^ I bet she doesn't even lift. I drink diet soda and use splenda every day. Unless you have some sort of sensitivity/allergy to it, it's fine.
  • sncfan
    sncfan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses you two! I think I'm going to try drinking them both for a week or two and see how it affects my weight loss/ overall well-being. I feel like I need *something* bad during finals to keep me from really hitting the vending machines. Maybe that's me just trying to rationalize my decision though. :)

Good luck on the 10K charl_hcafc! All the hard work is definitely worth the feeling of accomplishment you get when you cross the finish line.
  • charl_hcafc
    charl_hcafc Posts: 50
    Options
    Yeah, don't listen to that ^ I bet she doesn't even lift. I drink diet soda and use splenda every day. Unless you have some sort of sensitivity/allergy to it, it's fine.

Think what you like about how I train, I was simply explaining to the OP the changes I've made and how I feel because of them. I never told them what to do just simply gave my views :smile:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Some people have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. Most do not.

If you find you do, then don't use them. If not, then there's NO reason not to use them in moderation.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Some people have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. Most do not.

If you find you do, then don't use them. If not, then there's NO reason not to use them in moderation.

This is both my experience and my advice :)

Enjoy your Dr. Pepper.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Coke, diet Pepsi, diet Dr. Pepper. Love it!

I have heard (let me stress heard as I don't know of any studies) that says aspartame is bad for you. I don't think it attributes to weight gain, so it's all good.

Coffee with skim milk and Splenda? So you're adding about a tablespoon of skim milk which is 1/16th of a cup, a cup of skim milk is about 86 calories. So it's 5 calories which isn't it worth logging unless you have 20 cups of coffee a day. Black coffee and Splenda have no calories.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    *popcorn* Haven't sat in one of these threads for a while

for the record I drink lots of coke zero - I find it to be fantastic
  • BroceryShopping
    Options

Do you even wear shirts? Or do you like to show off your ribcage.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    *popcorn* Haven't sat in one of these threads for a while

for the record I drink lots of coke zero - I find it to be fantastic

Pretty sure his ticker speaks for itself :)

I have at minimum 2 ice coffees a day not to mention my hot ones ;) For the milk / cream I make it fit into my daily calorie goal - I do drink a lot of water on most days too either plain or flavored.

As someone has said - if you have no adverse reactions from sensitives..enjoy your Dr Pepper~!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I find that artificial sweeteners can be an appetite stimulant for me so I keep them to a minimum. I use xylitol in my coffee to keep my dental bills to a minimum and drink a lot less diet coke than I used to. I also worked out the difference in calories between sweetened coffee with skim and unsweetened coffee with whole and find that I like the whole milk better and it comes out about equal in calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Think what you like about how I train, I was simply explaining to the OP the changes I've made and how I feel because of them. I never told them what to do just simply gave my views :smile:
    It was a joke :tongue:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Do you even wear shirts? Or do you like to show off your ribcage.
    What is "shirts"?
  • KateHill1981
    KateHill1981 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cocoa Cola is always fat free
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses you two! I think I'm going to try drinking them both for a week or two and see how it affects my weight loss/ overall well-being. I feel like I need *something* bad during finals to keep me from really hitting the vending machines. Maybe that's me just trying to rationalize my decision though. :)

Good luck on the 10K charl_hcafc! All the hard work is definitely worth the feeling of accomplishment you get when you cross the finish line.

A week or two of artificial sweeteners a couple of times a year is probably fine. As there are questions about their long-term effects, you might want to try to cut them out the rest of the time. But I agree, in the short-term a Diet Coke is better than three bags of potato chips.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Cocoa Cola is always fat free
    Haha that one made me chuckle a little bit, but I wanted to give PP the benefit of the doubt and and assume she meant to type sugar and/or carbs.