Does eating cheese slow down weight loss???

Options
2»

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have heard several people say that eating cheese slows down weight loss. But so far no one can tell me why. Has anyone heard this before or know why and/or IF this is true??? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Why do they think it slows down weight loss? Not unless they are severely underestimating the calories in it and are taking in more calories than they think. Cheese is high in calories for what it is.

The fact is, take in less calories than you consume and you have to lose weight. If you were to eat 1200 calories worth of cheese per day for a week and eat or drink absolutely nothing else at all (except plain water which is nil calories) you would still lose exactly the same amount of weight you would have lost if you had eaten spot on 1200 calories per day of normal food for the week.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm totally on board with everyone here - moderation, moderation, moderation!!

Suggestion: cottage cheese is GREAT for protein, especially on days you are exercising. I'll definitely never give that one up, nor my beloved feta cheese!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm totally on board with everyone here - moderation, moderation, moderation!!

Suggestion: cottage cheese is GREAT for protein, especially on days you are exercising. I'll definitely never give that one up, nor my beloved feta cheese!

I love cottage cheese too, especially in a jacket potato. yummy!! :drinker:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I love the mozeralla cheese sticks and I have a hard time just eating one or two pieces.

do you mean fried cheese? mozzarella cheese sticks?
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    From everything that I've read, dairy is good for weight loss. I'm on a metabolic diet and my doc has limited my cheese consumption to 4oz per day but only because it can cause a binding effect. I can't imagine it stalling weight loss unless one is eating large amounts of it and underestimating the calories consumed.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I love the mozeralla cheese sticks and I have a hard time just eating one or two pieces.

I think they mean string cheese sticks, not fried
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meka! That is my problem -- the moderation. I love the mozeralla cheese sticks and I have a hard time just eating one or two pieces. So I am going to have to eliminate this cheese but there are others that I can safely eat in moderation with no problem. I know these are a problem for me so I just can't buy them anymore unless it is the single sticks they sale.

You're very wise to make that distinction. Most foods I can cut down on and I do just fine with those. But I also have foods that I can't keep around, because I know I'll keep going back and taking just one more until they are gone. Not to say I'll never have those problem foods again, but it will be very rare, and probably in a restaurant where I can't get seconds.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options

I mean mozzeralla cheese sticks.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meka! That is my problem -- the moderation. I love the mozeralla cheese sticks and I have a hard time just eating one or two pieces. So I am going to have to eliminate this cheese but there are others that I can safely eat in moderation with no problem. I know these are a problem for me so I just can't buy them anymore unless it is the single sticks they sale.

You're very wise to make that distinction. Most foods I can cut down on and I do just fine with those. But I also have foods that I can't keep around, because I know I'll keep going back and taking just one more until they are gone. Not to say I'll never have those problem foods again, but it will be very rare, and probably in a restaurant where I can't get seconds.

Cool beans!! I keep problem foods out house like chips, cookies, etc. I am just now use to binging on a food good for you. I wish I had this problem with my veggies and fruits.:laugh:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    And I thought I was the only one who calls string cheese cheese sticks. :D
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    No. There are very few things that "slow down" weight loss as long as you are eating less calories than you burn.

Fat is good for your body on any "diet" and as long as you are getting your fat from natural sources (no trans fat) and keeping your macronutrients in the proper ratio for you (fat/carbs/protein) you will be fine.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat cheese and dairy and I'm still losing. The key is measuring/weighing it. It's one of those foods it's easy to overestimate portion sizes. 1-2 ounces daily is good.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I think that no particular food is going to SLOW down weight loss, as long as you are honest when you log it and stay within your allotted calories. I eat a slice of normal (full fat, organic) cheese every day in my lunch wrap. It is 70-80 calories and 6 grams of fat. The aged sharp cheddar I eat is 9 grams and the dang Haverti is 15 grams, so I avoid those, but the Monterey Jack or Swiss slices are only 6. Cheese is helpful to me in achieving my protein goals as well.