What exactly should I be doing?

Options
Hello all, I believe that this is my first post here. To start I am 5'1 and 98 pounds. I am looking to gain weight, be fit and healthy. What should I be doing? I am looking to put on about five to eight pounds. I can not eat a lot of food at one time ( i get full really quickly and I don't like stuffing myself because it makes me lethargic and I can't do anything else for the rest of the day lol)

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that. My sympathies. Gaining weight is much much harder than losing weight. I don't know this from personal experience obviously. But, I have known several people that have tried to gain weight. It was extremely difficult for them. Many gained then lost it again quickly.

You can try eating more things like avocados, nuts, add more oil to your salads if you eat salads. Do the opposite of what I do as far as veggies are concerned. I usually eat my fillers first. For you go for the high calorie foods first then if you have room eat your servings of veggies. You might even have to avoid a huge volume of filling foods. Maybe limit your veggies to the 5 servings if you are eating more than that.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    caloric surplus and lift heavy weights
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is the right website for you.

However, from what I know other than upping your calories intake, try strength training, and whey protein shakes. You might find some help on a beginners body building form?

Jen
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I believe that this is my first post here. To start I am 5'1 and 98 pounds. I am looking to gain weight, be fit and healthy. What should I be doing? I am looking to put on about five to eight pounds. I can not eat a lot of food at one time ( i get full really quickly and I don't like stuffing myself because it makes me lethargic and I can't do anything else for the rest of the day lol)

Have you looked into weight gaining supplements? My dad used a powder during the 80s and it worked for him. I think the company is out of business but I hope this helps get you in the right direction:
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/controller?N=200787170&type=category&cm_kr=weight gain&cm_sp=typeahead-_-0|weight%20gain-_-n|
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is the right website for you.

That is NOT fair! This website is for everyone looking for healthy ways to obtain fitness. If you do not have anything helpful to contribute then just do not reply.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Food wise high protein foods is for you. Tuna, chicken, chick peas, soy. That's where its at. You don't need to eat a ton all at once, but you can eat 4 or 5 small meals a day. Stregth training versus cardio will be best. Not saying no cardio, but be sure to eat back your calories. Wishing you the best, and also you may want to talk to a nutritionist or doctor. Or go to your local Whole food store or GNC
  • VenusianChica
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to take a trip to my local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and talk to someone there. I will report back with the results.

I am going to try and eat more.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Barbell training plus lots of red meat and milk will get you bigger - and stronger as well.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would advise AGAINST getting advice from someone at GNC or Vitamin Shop. Their number one goal is to sell you stuff, while spewing all of the convincing pseudo-rumor-tabloid "nutrition" advice. (with apologies to the few that are good and well studied on what they're doing).

The thing to do is to eat at a modest surplus while doing a strength training program. This will ensure that you gain muscle.

while eating at a surplus, you will gain fat as well as muscle, but if you keep the surplus modest (maybe 10-15%) and stick to a good beginner training program, you will gain minimal fat. Make sure you are getting adequate protein. MFPs protein recommendations tend to be on the too-low side.

Depending on your current amount of calories you may find a protein shake is enough to give you the modest surplus you need, while helping ensure you're getting enough protein, and not making you feel overfull like extra food would. (not that it isn't *just* food, when it's all said and done, but it's liquid, which makes it easier for some people). I prefer real food myself, but if you have a problem getting extra cals down, this could help.

Mass gainers are nothing but protein shakes with a ton of sugar added.
  • VenusianChica
    Options
    I would advise AGAINST getting advice from someone at GNC or Vitamin Shop. Their number one goal is to sell you stuff, while spewing all of the convincing pseudo-rumor-tabloid "nutrition" advice. (with apologies to the few that are good and well studied on what they're doing).

The thing to do is to eat at a modest surplus while doing a strength training program. This will ensure that you gain muscle.

while eating at a surplus, you will gain fat as well as muscle, but if you keep the surplus modest (maybe 10-15%) and stick to a good beginner training program, you will gain minimal fat. Make sure you are getting adequate protein. MFPs protein recommendations tend to be on the too-low side.

Depending on your current amount of calories you may find a protein shake is enough to give you the modest surplus you need, while helping ensure you're getting enough protein, and not making you feel overfull like extra food would. (not that it isn't *just* food, when it's all said and done, but it's liquid, which makes it easier for some people). I prefer real food myself, but if you have a problem getting extra cals down, this could help.

Mass gainers are nothing but protein shakes with a ton of sugar added.

Wow thanks this was really helpful :-) Also what protein supplement would you recommend?
  • VenusianChica
    Options
    I'm a bit nervous about working with the free weights so I've been sticking with the machines. What machines would you guys recommended me using? I'm mainly interested in working on my bottom half.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    its calories, not protein.. in actuality, protein results in less calories [than carbs or fats] after processing.. google TEF... You should be eating around a gram per pound of body weight, but, that alone will do nothing for you.. you NEED a surplus of calories. protein does NOT = weight gain