Hot weather ideas??

Options
annecolorgreen
annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
This summer has been ridiculously hot and we've been struggling to keep the house cool. We rarely use the oven because of the heat. Unfortunately, our grill is broke :frown: and we can't afford to replace it until the "end of the season".

Do you have any healthy stove top and/or microwave recipe ideas?? I'm trying to keep carbs low and protein high but am not "counting" veggies.

Thanks!

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have been doing chicken or steak on the foreman grill paired with either a salad or steamed veggies from the microwave.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also use the counter top grill when my bbq is not an option.

Another idea (if you like fish) is to throw some fish into a steamer bag with some veggies and a little salt-free seasoning. Tasty and only takes a few minutes.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I use my toaster oven just like a real oven. Anything that I can fit in there, goes in there. And you can get one cheap. I bought mine for like $20 and have had it for over 6 yrs so far. My new fave thing is to put asparagus in there to cook. It gets nice and crispy like if you were to grill it.
  • aevans8
    aevans8 Posts: 2
    Options
    Grill Chicken on Forman. Make Salad similar to Panera's Chicken Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad. It is really easy, just fresh romaine, sliced fresh strawberries, mandrin oranges, fresh blueberries. Chop up chicken and put onto Salad. Lite Poppyseed dressing. Very delicious and only around 280 cals. if you don't go crazy on the dressing. This is my very favorite salad right now.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You can get a crock pot real cheap too at thrift stores, etc. Those are great for hot days--they just don't heat up the space like an oven. I did some chicken breasts in one, and some sweet potatoes in the other one (I have two), and then just added a salad.

Other options are just cook some meats ahead on cooler days and freeze. Thaw out when you want them, and make cold tuna/chicken/turkey salad--no heat necessary! Wahoo! Did that tonight when the power was out.
  • starlitkate
    starlitkate Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Crock pot is the cheapest and easiest cooking appliance you can buy. And you cna make almost anything in one. And it's a lot cheaper than a grill. Walmart has them for around 20.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    The crockpot rules in my househouse at the moment:drinker: :wink: Ohhhhhhhh Dang, gotta get me a 'George'!!:smokin: I forget all about the GForeman grills until I read a post about them, thank for the reminder, again:wink::laugh: :flowerforyou:

In this heat I don't even feel like eating much but cold foods actually, fruit or salad type, but you can boil some brown rice for the week and put it in a gallon size ziplock baggie and have it cold on salads or warm with veggies (microwave it). Same with boiling extra eggs for the week, cold hard boiled eggs are great protein alone or on salads. Nuts on salads gives you some good protein, mix up your salads by adding a variety of foods to them each time that can help make it feel like you're not eating the same thing all the time.

Have fun exploring:drinker: :wink:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Should've mentioned that I have a crockpot and use it too--LOVE it!! When I posted this, I was frustrated because I didn't have anything thawed and needed something last minute so we bought pizza :grumble: . I no longer have a GF but that isn't a bad plan! (I gave mine to our son who had moved out)