Dr. oz on Today Show this am

Options
CkepiJinx
CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
Ok so this morning Dr.Oz was on the today show to say that all these "companies" have been using his name fraudulently to endorse their products. says he will discuss it more on his show, I think I will tape it today curious to see what he says.

My thoughts

A. why would you not name them, if they don't have your permission, they can't sue you for saying " I did not endorse xyz" he doesn't have to say any thing bad just that he didn't endorse it so why not name them

B. he claims to have persued law suites yet we have never heard about any law suites, in this day and age we would have heard something leak out don't you think?

C. Why has it taken him this long to speak out about this?

Discuss

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Let's take a look at his bank account.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    Ba ha ha -- then how come when I tell people I'm following the "OZ" recommended "fastdiet" people say ooo, that ain't the right way to diet...
    Dr OZ holds a high standard to what he endorses
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is not the first time his name has been used without his permission. I guess with his following everyone wants a part.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    So the guy who endorses BS products like a rancher brands his cattle and he wants to scream about fraud? I wonder if we can sue HIM for fraud!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i really don't think Dr. Oz is a big enough name that we would have heard of any law suits that he filed against companies. I'm not a Dr. Oz. fan, but if companies used his name without permission or endorsement, he should take legal action. Just because he's a quack doesn't mean he is wrong in this instance.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Dr OZ holds a high standard to what he endorses

By high, do you mean $$$?

The man is a worthless quack who is using his Oprah-fame to make money.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options

[/quote]

EXACTLY
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    This is the first YOU have heard him talk about it, but he's been battling it for a couple years. He is not affiliate with, nor does he endorse any product. He won't even tell you what brand of vitamin to buy, except tells you to go with a bigger company over one you've not heard of because they are likely to put more of the right things in rather than skimp and face lawsuits.

Why are people so quick to toss around lies/stories as if they are true without doing a little research? This world we live in is just terrible. Some people are actually good, you know? But the funny thing is, it's usually the good ones that get the heaviest public persecution. /shrug

You guys are free to your beliefs, and I personally believe that the man is exactly what the world needs. He puts it all out there without sugar coating, which is what people need. If I could, I would thank him for his part in my realization that I need to get healthy.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think he just wants more people to watch his show today...ratings must be down.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    This is not the first time Dr. Oz has addressed this. He has spoken about it before on his show in the past, and has named Company names. He also had customers of said products come on the show.

Like someone else said, I don't think a Dr. Oz and weight loss company law suit would make headline news. It's not that much of an interesting topic.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Seems like a way to make people watch his show later today :/ I'm just going to guess that he will throw in to the discussion a few of the companies that he DOES say he endorses.

So the way I see it, people who are curious will watch his show this afternoon and then be subjected to some advertising (which I am guessing he will be paid for). Even if people are misusing his name, he could have simply listed the companies on his website and directed people to that. Perhaps made a note on the show directing people to there, but I have a feeling the show will be more than just a quick note :/

Sorry, I'm very sceptic about Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil types (and many of my psychology professors would agree to be sceptic about Dr. Phil lol).
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I saw this on TV this morning as well. i agree with you OP just tell us which ones. But the problem is he has products on his show all the time and he still says he never endorses any one product. So basically i think he is trying to say that just because he features it on his show doesn't mean he endorses it??? I find his show pointless, people hear the word doctor in front of any product and instantly think that it must be good. He is calling this campaign to make people of aware of the misuse of his name, "It's not Me". lol

If you want to see if for yourself heres the link

http://www.today.com/video/today/51786548
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I saw the Today Show this morning and the first thing that came to mind is this juice cleanse that a lot of people in my office are doing... I wonder if that is truly Dr. Oz endorsed.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Also to those who say he is not paid for endorsing companies, I think you are mislead. So, so, so, MANY doctors are paid (in bonuses, trips, dinners, etc) to encourage certain drugs over others for example. It's important to do some research :)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Also to those who say he is not paid for endorsing companies, I think you are mislead. So, so, so, MANY doctors are paid (in bonuses, trips, dinners, etc) to encourage certain drugs over others for example. It's important to do some research :)

The only problem is some of the "regular public" actually believe what he says.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So the guy who endorses BS products like a rancher brands his cattle and he wants to scream about fraud? I wonder if we can sue HIM for fraud!

There should be at least a little honor among thieves. :)
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options

EXACTLY
    [/quote]

Elementary my dear.
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think he just wants more people to watch his show today...ratings must be down.

^^ This. He's endorsed lots of products through his show that promise weight loss/better health. For a while it was almost "the product of the week". I stopped DVR-ing his show about 6 months ago--he needs to stick with promoting healthy lifestyle and leave the weight loss "cures" alone.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've seen him do this before. Where he goes on his show saying these companies are using his name to say he endorses them so they're products work, etc... I feel like it has to be some sort of marketing scheme...