FLAXSEED OIL CAPSULES

Options
Hi,

What do you think about Flaxseed oil capsules? I have been told that this is very good for cholestrol control, skin, hair and nail improvement. I also hear this is good for digestion and aid of constipation (which I tend to suffer with quite often) and now the pharmacist tells me it aids in weight loss as it is all those good omega's and fatty acids.

Any suggestions and/or advice?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things but as I'm not one for pills I choose to add linseed (another name for flaxseed) to my muesli.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You can soak the seeds overnight , orange juice is nice and blend in smoothies for a little crunch and chew!
  • 711lucia
    711lucia Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input.

I think I'm going to give it a go.

I've been researching, and still not sure when is the best time to take it;...... night, morning?
  • ChristieNJFitnessAddict
    Options
    I myself don't like pills/capsules too. Sometimes I wonder if they do actually break down in your system. I usually get the oil with lignans and I also take the ground flaxseed and eat it with yogurt. I do highly recommend taking flaxseeds. If you can't handle taking the oil and won't add the ground flaxseed to your food then the capsules would be the next best thing.
  • Jadesha
    Jadesha Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes flaxseed is good for all those things. I usually ground it into a powder & keep it in the fridge. I add it to my oatmeal porridge, eggs, pancakes, yogurt etc.........
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't do the capsules, but I got some milled flax seed from the store, and I sprinkle it over everything I eat because you are right, it is very good for cholesterol.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Hi,

What do you think about Flaxseed oil capsules? I have been told that this is very good for cholestrol control, skin, hair and nail improvement. I also hear this is good for digestion and aid of constipation (which I tend to suffer with quite often) and now the pharmacist tells me it aids in weight loss as it is all those good omega's and fatty acids.

Any suggestions and/or advice?

go with whole flax seed , its SUPER cheap compared to capsules!!

1.99 a lb, whole foods.. and other similar stores.
    just saying, at t
    TBSP a day, 1 lb will last roughly a month
  • nrussell34
    nrussell34 Posts: 4
    Options
    There are three types of Omega-3 oils - ALA, DHA, EPA. Flaxseed oil only contains ALA. ALA is converted into DHA and EPA by your body, but in small amounts.

I would suggest taking fish oil over flaxseed oil. Personally, I take 6 capsules a day (3 in the morning, 3 at night), try to eat fish 3 times a week, and use flaxseed meal in my bread recipe and smoothies.
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree if you can't take putting the meal or the oil in your food and sauces then the capsules would be the best. I use the meal/oil added to smoothies, sauces, yogurt, vegetables,salad dressing. And pretty much you can take it anytime of day especially if you are using it within other foods. I have even heard a lady put some of the oil in her coffee, not sure how that would be but I'm also not a coffee drinker.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    I use them along with fish oil and they seem to be good.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I take 2 a day for cholesterol reduction. The brand is top care.