Give me tips/suggestions/ideas for eating clean NOW!

Options
I've been looking quite deeply at the amount of cr*p I eat and I want to start eating clean.

What sorts of things can I eat? What sorts of things should I avoid?

Are cereals clean? By cereals I mean wholegrain ones, not sugar encrusted.

Can I eat tofu?

Replies

• saraknotts
    saraknotts Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump...been wanting to clean up my eating also and can't wait to see suggestions.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Stop eating things with an ingredient list =)
    Go for veggies, fruit, meat, eggs, raw or unprocessed nuts AND...

Check out the Whole30 website =)
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    LOTS of fresh/frozen fruits & veggies. try to find foods with the LEAST amount of ingredients in them as possible - plain yogurt (you can sweeten it with frozen fruit, it's healthier without all the added sugar of flavored), brown rice instead of white, sweet potatoes, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread (do not eat anything white), unflavored oatmeal (I like to put a scoop of peanut butter in it & cinnamon to flavor it along with a cut up banana but you can flavor it with apples, blueberries, strrawberries, whatever suits your palate) eggs. you can look at my diary to see the things i eat. my diet is 90% clean & 10% splurges/cheat foods
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice, so say Shredded Wheat (it just has one ingredient) would that be ok?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think clean eating is better approached by what you do eat rather than what you forbid yourself. Just find stuff you like and let it crowd out the other stuff. Start simple - fruit. Work in more vegetables.
  • mkat_nc
    mkat_nc Posts: 4
    Options
    I think it's a different definition for all of us on what clean eating is to them. If you're just starting out, it's probably great to start with reducing with the goal of eliminating your trigger foods first. Be it sugar, bread, alcohol, processed foods, caffeine, etc. Choose one or two of these per week to get down and then off of. Once you start to feel how your body is without these items, you'll get more excited. Don't try to do it all at once though as depending on how you eat today, you could have some pretty significant withdrawals like headaches, sluggishness, etc. Then - try to drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water per day while you're doing the above. Take it one day, one win at a time. This isn't an overnight thing.

But to answer on what clean eating is for me? Fruits (preferably organic for the required ones), minimal dairy, fresh/frozen veggies, organic chicken, fish, very limited alcohol and caffeine, ezekiel bread, steel cut oats, eggs, limited to no sugar, no processed foods (including no boxed cereal). I second the Whole30 approach and Karma Chow cookbook. Check out also BeachBody's Ultimate Reset program too.