1200 vs 1500 again!

Options
Lauri524
Lauri524 Posts: 54 Member
Ok folks, so I'm so tired of giving this my all, working out like a fiend and not seeing one pound lost on the scale. I've decided I'm going to up my calories to 1500 even though I'm deathly scared to do so. Again, the question is, should I eat my exercise calories back or just go for the 1500 and not log exercise? When doing 1200, I would burn between 350-600 calories at gym and eat most back with no loss. Now I'm scared that if I am on 1500 and eat those exercise calories back, I will gain. I really need to further educate myself on this number of calories per day thing. I can't figure out if MFP takes our activities into consideration when giving the daily caloric intake or not. Also, if anyone knows of a good website with an accurate calculator for this, I'm all ears. I've been at this for over 2 months and I've only taken off 4-5 pounds. Very discouraging...

Replies

• thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers but am also interested to know. I've also just put my calories up from 1300 to 1500 and freaked that I'm going to put on weight.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? What is your TDEE?

If you don't know the answer to those questions, then you need to find out. Those are THE most important numbers to know. Not whether you should eat back your calories or not.

MFP works and works great if you know how it works. You will completely understand how it works once you figure out what your BMR is and what your TDEE is.
  • Lauri524
    Options
    What is TDEE??? Where would I get this information? Thanks :)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    When using MFP's guidelines, I always ate my exercise calories back. Because you are supposed to with MFP.

Just recently I upped to 1600 calories per day which according to MFP will make me lose 0.5lbs per week and according to TDEE will make me lose 1lb per week. So now I don't log my exercise and eat 1600 per day, if I go over I know that as long as I've exercised like I usually do, I have wiggle room to still be at a loss.

MFP doesn't take much activity into your calories at all, particularly if you picked sedentary. If you did, you'd need to log every walk, etc.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Use this to work out your calories (removing 20% from the amount it gives you) and that's what you want to be eating after exercise calories are eaten back.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and eventually upped my calories to 1800 and still eat most if not all of my exercise calories back and am finally losing weight! I think when you eat a low amount of calories and add exercise your body holds on to everything. Plus everyones body is different so its a bit of trial and error to find out what works out for you. I know if i go under 1800 my weight doesnt budge. You have to fuel your body! Hope this helps. Oh I also do tdee - 20% which definately works better then what mfp recommends.
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This gives a good BMR and TDEE calculator.

I've also heard to use Fat2FitRadio.com for some other good calculators
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Like many, I started at 1200 and the scale barely moved. I bumped it up to 1500 and it supercharged everything. Lost 12 lbs.

I eat back my exercise calories - which for me, is usually about 300-400 after a good run.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Try out this site and input your data and tweak it for how much fat loss you want.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I am on MFP for 4 month now and have lost only 4 pounds, even I exercise almost every day. In the beginning I was not loosing weight at all. One day it was off the other day it was back on, for a while I even gained weight. From swimming, 4.5 miles runs, spinning, boxing class....you name it. I increased my calories from 1200 to 1400 and l started to loose weight.
    I am intending to start a weightlifting and muscle strengthening program. Is it wise now to upper my calories again? Some days (depending on work schedule) I may even run in the morning and swim in the afternoon.

I am definitely not a sedentary person. On some day I eat my calories back and other days I have some to spare without feeling hungry. At the end of the day the entries tell me that I should be "that much weight" in 5 weeks. I haven't been close to even the highest prediction it gave me as of yet.
    I try to eat healthy and lots of vegetables and I know that a "bad eating" day once in a while is not that bad.
    I can feel the pain of the person who started this threat, because I feel very similar, even I already did some research on TDEE and BMI and had a consult with a nutritionist (didn't help at all/was not encouraging).

Any advise????
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try some of these calculators Thanks
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I am on MFP for 4 month now and have lost only 4 pounds, even I exercise almost every day. In the beginning I was not loosing weight at all. One day it was off the other day it was back on, for a while I even gained weight. From swimming, 4.5 miles runs, spinning, boxing class....you name it. I increased my calories from 1200 to 1400 and l started to loose weight.
    I am intending to start a weightlifting and muscle strengthening program. Is it wise now to upper my calories again? Some days (depending on work schedule) I may even run in the morning and swim in the afternoon.

I am definitely not a sedentary person. On some day I eat my calories back and other days I have some to spare without feeling hungry. At the end of the day the entries tell me that I should be "that much weight" in 5 weeks. I haven't been close to even the highest prediction it gave me as of yet.
    I try to eat healthy and lots of vegetables and I know that a "bad eating" day once in a while is not that bad.
    I can feel the pain of the person who started this threat, because I feel very similar, even I already did some research on TDEE and BMI and had a consult with a nutritionist (didn't help at all/was not encouraging).

Any advise????

I'm not a guru on weight lifting by any means, but my understanding is you really want to up your protein intake before and after each lifting session. For other tips and tricks, hit up www.yourhealthyhedonista.com . She's a fitness model, but maybe you can glean something from all her recipes and work outs. :)
  • Lauri524
    Options
    Did you use a particular formula here (i.e., Mifflin, Harris-Benedict)? Or should I choose "enter activity level"?
  • Lauri524
    Options
    Wow, found a few TDEE calculators online and they have me eating 1900 calories per day (yikes!) in order to lose 40 pounds in ten months! I just can't do it. I'm having a hard enough time upping from 1200 to 1500 without fear!
  • nagniho
    Options
    Did you use a particular formula here (i.e., Mifflin, Harris-Benedict)? Or should I choose "enter activity level"?

If you are using the Scoobie calculator I would go with Mifflin that's what MFP uses. If you know your BF% then use the KatchM. Enter your activity level ( how many hrs/day you exercise) and then your goal for fat loss. YOu can play around with the #s and see what suits you the best. However, if you have 20lbs or less to lose then it should be TDEE-10% or less.
  • nagniho
    Options
    Wow, found a few TDEE calculators online and they have me eating 1900 calories per day (yikes!) in order to lose 40 pounds in ten months! I just can't do it. I'm having a hard enough time upping from 1200 to 1500 without fear!

You really need to calculate your TDEE and then base it from there. Long term under eating will impact your metabolism. Ask your self, how much fat loss have you had while eating at 1200cals?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is no cookie cutter number that works the same for all people. You need to figure out the range where you personally lose weight, based on your own energy balance calorie needs.

Also, the amount of weight you need to lose is a key piece of information in how much your body will reasonably be able to lose.

Once you know your TDEE (an estimate as it is with all calculators), you will be able to remove the fear you have of eating more. This is the number where you would stay the same weight, not gain or lose. Take a reasonable deficit from this number and you will lose weight. People with higher amount of weight to lose can take off a bigger percentage from this number than people who are closer to their goal weight.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs on MFP in 2011. I lost .5 per week.

I always ate back my exercise calories. On average I ate around 1700 per day, workout around 400-500/day and ended up after workout right at around 1200-1400.
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started the TDEE - 20% method last week.. and I've had losses the past few days, after having a month of no loss at all. I would try that route.