Do you ride?

Options

Replies

• Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    Fair Warning! I started out riding my kids' old bike about 7 years ago. I enjoyed it. Just riding it around the neighborhood. Then I wanted to get my own. So I bought a Huffy. I thought I was really something when I rode it 8 miles in one day...not all at one time, mind you. I started riding it around to do errands, and riding it every day. I wore it out in 3 months (Sorry, but Huffy is not known for their quality) I replaced with with a Schwinn (which I still have and still ride sometimes) and I started riding farther. A friend mentioned that he used to do Century Rides. I had never heard of such a thing. The man actually said he rode 100 miles in a day...on a regular basis. I was intrigued. Then I saw an ad for a flat century ride. No hills. Hmmmm.....By then I had gotten a slightly better road bike. A secondhand Novara. I really wondered how far I could actually ride. I entered the century ride and signed up for the metric, which was 67 miles. And I finished it. I wanted someone to kill me the last 10 miles, but I finished the thing. I had been biking for about 2 years by then. After doing a few more metric centuries on my Novara, I realized all those 20 and 30 somethings who were pedaling past me, and looking superior, were riding bikes that weighed about 1/3 what mine did. I started lusting after a Trek Road bike. I finally got one a couple years ago. Its a lower end one, but still a Trek. Cost me about 1000.00. I ride anywhere from 200 to 400 miles a month, depending on the amount of time I have available. I did my first metric century of the season a little over a week ago. It was supposed to be a 60 mile route, but was actually 65 and there was a poorly marked intersection that I went straight through instead of turning. Didn't figure it out for 4 miles. So getting back on track added a total of 8 miles. I rode for 5.5 hours, a total of 73 miles. And I passed several people from behind, who were probably half my age ;) I'm planning on doing the 100 mile route on the flat one this October. I swore I would never be caught dead in spandex bike clothes. I still hate the jersey's because they ride up, but I own several pair of spandex shorts, bike gloves, clip on bike shoes, and I"m rarely seen in anything else from spring through fall. Its like a disease! You have been warned! Continue to pedal at your own risk!

You are very right.. I've only had my bike for a short time and I can already feel it not being happy with me.
    After about the 8th jump I can hear the teeth miss whenever I go to pedal hard. It's a cheap bike.
    When I get mroe serious I may look into something fancy. Id love to have shocks.. that would make all the difference right now.
    Not to mention my bike (mountain bike) is not light by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Last summer, I took an older bicycle from my niece who was no longer riding it. I could barely make a mile.

After about a month on that bike, I decided I needed a new bike. Ended up with a Trek Verve 1 (Hybrid). I love it! I love riding and have loved watching the lbs melt off!

Last Sunday, I rode 36 miles, my longest ride to date. I'm looking for a longer organized ride in my area and trying to find other people to ride with. Even though my husband bought a new bike when I got mine, he doesn't ride with me much.

Fortunately for me, there are tons of trails here (NW Arkansas), so I don't ever have to get on the street. (Something like 26 miles of just mountain bike trails, not sure how many miles of paved trails.)
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Fair Warning! I started out riding my kids' old bike about 7 years ago. I enjoyed it. Just riding it around the neighborhood. Then I wanted to get my own. So I bought a Huffy. I thought I was really something when I rode it 8 miles in one day...not all at one time, mind you. I started riding it around to do errands, and riding it every day. I wore it out in 3 months (Sorry, but Huffy is not known for their quality) I replaced with with a Schwinn (which I still have and still ride sometimes) and I started riding farther. A friend mentioned that he used to do Century Rides. I had never heard of such a thing. The man actually said he rode 100 miles in a day...on a regular basis. I was intrigued. Then I saw an ad for a flat century ride. No hills. Hmmmm.....By then I had gotten a slightly better road bike. A secondhand Novara. I really wondered how far I could actually ride. I entered the century ride and signed up for the metric, which was 67 miles. And I finished it. I wanted someone to kill me the last 10 miles, but I finished the thing. I had been biking for about 2 years by then. After doing a few more metric centuries on my Novara, I realized all those 20 and 30 somethings who were pedaling past me, and looking superior, were riding bikes that weighed about 1/3 what mine did. I started lusting after a Trek Road bike. I finally got one a couple years ago. Its a lower end one, but still a Trek. Cost me about 1000.00. I ride anywhere from 200 to 400 miles a month, depending on the amount of time I have available. I did my first metric century of the season a little over a week ago. It was supposed to be a 60 mile route, but was actually 65 and there was a poorly marked intersection that I went straight through instead of turning. Didn't figure it out for 4 miles. So getting back on track added a total of 8 miles. I rode for 5.5 hours, a total of 73 miles. And I passed several people from behind, who were probably half my age ;) I'm planning on doing the 100 mile route on the flat one this October. I swore I would never be caught dead in spandex bike clothes. I still hate the jersey's because they ride up, but I own several pair of spandex shorts, bike gloves, clip on bike shoes, and I"m rarely seen in anything else from spring through fall. Its like a disease! You have been warned! Continue to pedal at your own risk!

You are very right.. I've only had my bike for a short time and I can already feel it not being happy with me.
    After about the 8th jump I can hear the teeth miss whenever I go to pedal hard. It's a cheap bike.
    When I get mroe serious I may look into something fancy. Id love to have shocks.. that would make all the difference right now.
    Not to mention my bike (mountain bike) is not light by any stretch of the imagination.

Funny thing about the Huffy...I worked in an avionics shop at the time and was riding to and from work. When it just got to sounding awful, I took it to a bike shop to see what was going on with it. There was a comic strip taped to the counter by the cash register that said, "Would you fly in a plane made by Huffy?" If that didn't clue me to the guy's feelings about Huffy, I got it when he told me my bike was c#@p and to get it out of his shop. I was embarrassed and mad. I took it back to K-Mart and made them give me credit for it since I had only had it a couple months and then paid the balance on the Schwinn. Which, as I said, was pretty heavy. But here's the payoff...I had been riding the Schwinn about 8 months and I come in to work one day and there's a guy in the hangar waiting for some work to be finished on his plane. He sees me come in and park my bike and asked me if I rode it to work every day and I said that I did. He said I was working harder than I needed to. He said I needed road bike tires on it instead of the mountain bike tires. I said I would think about it. I hadn't looked too closely at him and I went into my office. He came in later to pay his bill and I looked at him and said, "HEY! You're that mean guy who made me cry and threw me out of your shop because I had a Huffy." He was horrified and took my bike with him when he left and returned it later that day with Fat Boy slick road bike tires, all cleaned and tuned up. At no charge. Guess he didn't want me around his plane, all ticked off at him.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yea, picked biking back up last year and have really caught the bug.
    Got a nice Road Bike at the end of the season, and picked up a new Mountain Bike (29er hardtail) this spring and commute to work daily now. Such funa dn a great workout.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the trampoline along with the kids! The hula hoop is fun, too. I would love to learn how to in-line skate (didn't have those as a kid). They look like an awesome workout!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    getting on a bike is a GREAT way to kill an hour, easy -- just riding around the neighborhood. It's amazing how you can get your heart rate up, and then look forward to zooming down a hill for a minute or two.

I also started JUMP-ROPE this year -- it took some practice, but it's also an inexpensive way to get you heart rate up! I've added it into the intervals at the gym. It's fun!
  • MissNieves329
    Options
    I love riding my bike. That's how I lost 30 pounds.(Last summer...and I gained it back) I starting riding again last week, and today I did 10 miles!! Such a great work out! Bikes are great!!!
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Recently got re-infected by the same mountain biking virus myself. Ironically writing a blog post about at this very moment.
  • Dr_Flo
    Options

Funny thing about the Huffy...I worked in an avionics shop at the time and was riding to and from work. When it just got to sounding awful, I took it to a bike shop to see what was going on with it. There was a comic strip taped to the counter by the cash register that said, "Would you fly in a plane made by Huffy?" If that didn't clue me to the guy's feelings about Huffy, I got it when he told me my bike was c#@p and to get it out of his shop. I was embarrassed and mad. I took it back to K-Mart and made them give me credit for it since I had only had it a couple months and then paid the balance on the Schwinn. Which, as I said, was pretty heavy. But here's the payoff...I had been riding the Schwinn about 8 months and I come in to work one day and there's a guy in the hangar waiting for some work to be finished on his plane. He sees me come in and park my bike and asked me if I rode it to work every day and I said that I did. He said I was working harder than I needed to. He said I needed road bike tires on it instead of the mountain bike tires. I said I would think about it. I hadn't looked too closely at him and I went into my office. He came in later to pay his bill and I looked at him and said, "HEY! You're that mean guy who made me cry and threw me out of your shop because I had a Huffy." He was horrified and took my bike with him when he left and returned it later that day with Fat Boy slick road bike tires, all cleaned and tuned up. At no charge. Guess he didn't want me around his plane, all ticked off at him.

What an awesome story. Made me laugh.

Yeah I picked something that if by chance, I got lazy and didnt ride it.. I'd be ok with yard selling later (at a loss)

What are your thoughts on "Next" bikes?
    They look cool, but Ive never ridden one so Im not sure.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I got my bike out the garage today. First time this year! I felt so free, and so fast! I never had a bike as a kid (sob) so when I turned 30 last year I treated myself to a decent bike and learned to ride it! Fantastic!
    Things that remind me of being a kid; hand clapping games with my daughter, teaching her how to use a skipping rope, and camping in the back garden. I love summer!
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    Riding to work would be such an awesome way to make riding a large part of my life .. however .. I work so far from where I live .. I'd have to leave the night before.. hahaha.

Recommend some bikes to me guys.

Currently riding: Huffy Mountain Cheapo <-- I added that hahaha

What I want: Lighter weight, smoother ride, shocks, road or trail tires, NOT falling apart on me..
    What I dont want: HUGE price
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Riding to work would be such an awesome way to make riding a large part of my life .. however .. I work so far from where I live .. I'd have to leave the night before.. hahaha.

What I want: Lighter weight, smoother ride, shocks, road or trail tires, NOT falling apart on me..

I would suggest looking on Craigs List, EBay, Resale Shops, etc. Shop around and you can find some pretty good bikes that may need a little TLC. So if you can get a good used Trek for $100 put may $50 in it you got yourself a good ride.

Oh and Next bikes are crap. They are made in China and on a scale of 1-10 probably score a 0.5.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options

For an entry level bike, when you are still deciding what you want to do, Schwinn is a great bike. They last forever and even when you end up getting something else later, you will probably keep the Schwinn. They come in all varieties and price ranges, so you can find something you want in the range you are looking for that will hold up pretty good. I believe my Schwinn was under 100.00. Its 7 years old and probably has a minimum of 1,000 miles on it and I still use it sometimes if I'm just cruising with my grandson or just want to beat around and don't want to put on my bike shoes so I can clip into the pedals on my Trek. They are reliable and hold up great.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I ride. I'm a beginner.
    I don't like to get Tired or Sore...so I always under-do it and only increase by small incremental developments.
    Lets my joints, tendons, bones, and whatever else is inside me gain fitness and avoid injury.

Glad you ride. That's fun !!
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I've been known to ride bulls not bikes.

That's awesome tho that you are riding :)
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Fair Warning! I started out riding my kids' old bike
    I bought a Huffy.
    replaced with with a Schwinn
    A secondhand Novara.
    a Trek Road bike.
    Its like a disease!
    You have been warned! Continue to pedal at your own risk!

Yes, pad your wallet or start a piggybank going before you even get on someone's bike to "just ride around the block."
    I did a similar progression over only 2 years and my Trek is my 4th bike

<
    That's my Trek in my avatar
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Used to road ride, training for triathlon. 2 years ago I was introduced to MTB and that was a revelation. I hardly use my road bike now (for some reason i am getting nervous with the car drivers), but go MTBing regularly. Sometimes on my own and sometimes with a group. It is such a laugh and physically can be quite hard. For example yesterday we went for a 3hrs ride and I burned nearly 2000 calories. Very addictive, very expensive but what a blast
    JC
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I could hardly walk when I started exercising so I rode my bike =) average 30 miles a week now. I love it

Trek
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 mile loop that I do to cross train. My bike isa 7 y/o Bianchi cross-bike that I absolutely :heart: I am looking for a secondhand road bike at present so i can start riding back and forth to work(it's only 11 miles 1 way) at least the 2 days a week when I am in town.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    only thing I ride is my vance & hine equipped Suzuki Katana...