Thermogenic Fat Burners

Options
Hi, wasn't really sure where to post this!

I've been looking at getting some new protein powder as I really do not like mine and possibly thinking of switching from whey to another source.

While looking into this I've come across a bunch of different "fat burners" which all basically say they do the same thing as the next one. They all seem pretty much the same, and also roughly the same price.

My question is:-

Do they actually do anything and if so, has anyone here used them and in what way did they help?

Obviously they're all saying "ooh we can help you burn that fat away!" but I'm always quite dubious. Obviously, anything that can help shift a bit more fat would be great but the message with them seems to be "may aid fat loss when used in conjunction with either a "balanced diet" or a calorie controlled diet". So really, is it the calorie control doing it or is it the fat burners?

I don't want to buy something that isn't going to do anything and will be a waste of money.

My view is, in talking to my boyf, that if they didn't work then they wouldn't be able to sell them buuuuut we know that actually things are still told even if they don't do anything!

So.. anyone used them and had results if people have found them beneficial in their fat loss (if so, any specific brand that anyone would recommend).

NB - please don't have a go or rant on, this is a genuine question and I've tried to speak to my personal trainer about it as my gym sells something like this but she hasn't come back to me and I just want a "yeah they helped" or "no, not really don't waste your money!" - THANKS!

tl;dr: have any of you used fat burners and did they work? if they did, what ones. If you don't think they work, why not?

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Save your money
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've been using a combination of cayenne pepper capsacin and caffeine for over 6 months but I think the effect has been trivial. I tried it because I was told of a U of OK study.

See this pie chart: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/932085-the-weight-loss-pie-chart

If fat burners do anything it will be in the 1% range of the solution.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i've been using GNC Pro-Sculpt. I started my routines without it, but once I got to the point that I had a steady workout routine and knew I was holding to a food regime I started used it once a day for about a month, then upped it to twice a day for a month. I got their Physio-Burn (pills) for free, so I've been on them for a month as well.

Now, I've definitely lost weight. I've lost over 20 pounds in the past few months, and am pretty close to goal weight. I honestly don't know if the Pro-Sculpt helped at all, but I know it helped me 'mentally' a bit. That is, it was one more part of my regiment that made me feel like i was doing something. It's also got a hefty caffeine dosage, which amped me up prior to workouts.

Then again, I also hold to a strict diet and walk/run around 65 miles a week... so I'm actually at the point where I'm trying to add calories to my diet because I think I'm likely undereating (even though I'm not hungry).

Now that I'm almost out of the Pro-Sculpt, I'm going to replace it with... black coffee. I will definitely miss it's odd taste and caffeine buzz, but I don't know that it's actually worth the money. But it -was- worth the money for me early on, if only to help me get back into the swing of things. Ultimately, though, if your diet and exercise are already in line, you don't need it... and if they aren't, it won't help. But if it helps get your head in line with your workouts and diet, then in the end, it's worth it.

edit -- also worth mentioning, i do use some other stuff:
    during workout:
    electrolyte replacement powder (cytomax or vitalyte)
    hammer gel
    (both at a far reduced rate than they suggest)

lunch -
    chocolate metabolic reset (protein/vitamins)
    (i love me a chocolate shake for lunch, and don't consider this a bad thing. this brand is good and filling, but must be blended)

and then your basic vitamins and such.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Tried em, lost weight/inches
    Stopped taking em, weight/inches came back

They become ineffective after about 8 weeks of taking them, and you have to cycle off of them and then back on them...

They can become a 'crutch' and can have some pretty serious side effects (arrythmia, heart palpitations, dependency, trouble sleeping)

All in all, I wouldn't waste the money on them. If you need an energy boost, try a cup of coffee or something. If it's fat burning you want, then lift heavy, cardio and eat right
  • krs1071
    krs1071 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lot of it depends on the ingredients - there are some thermogenics out there that act on a different premise than just using caffeine - take a look at Brad King Lean Energy (might go under a different name now), or the Isagenix Natural Accelerator. Do a comparison, and some research, on the ingredients and see what will work for you. As you can see - it is a mixed review. Only you will be able to tell if they make a difference or not. Personally, the right one made the difference for me - but I had to try just about everyone out there to do it. Just be wary of the high caffeine ones, with the high level of diuretics - they don't increase your metabolism, just increase energy to help you workout, and get rid of water.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Thermogenic fat burners can help minimally with increasing your core temp slightly to encourage your body to burn through calories faster. Some have multiple stimulants in them and others are non-stimulant. It would depend on what you're after. The stimulant based ones, like another poster said, you will have to cycle off of them after using for 8 weeks and take a break for 4 weeks to let your body rest and avoid becoming dependent on the stimulants in them.

I've decided to try Cellucor SuperHD. From the first day I took it I had unbelievable energy and focus and noticed an increase in calories burned that day both while sitting at my desk at work and overall from wanting to get up and move more from my energy. I also felt very hot and sweat quite a bit lol. (I can validate the difference in cals because I have the BodyMedia armband which tracks my calories burned.) It recommends taking 1 in the AM and 1 more 5-6 hours later. After 5 days you can take 2 in the AM if you'd like but I'm not going to.

While the difference can be marginal, I feel it is worth it. I probably won't use this again once the bottle is gone unless I see a good difference in my BF% which I will measure at the end of the month. Of course don't bother with a fat burner if you aren't lifting weights because they aren't meant to use as a "diet pill" to eat fat cells. I feel that's where most people get their disappointment from in using thermogenic fat burners - the misunderstanding in how they are supposed to work.
  • kariplease
    kariplease Posts: 43
    Options
    The only one that's ever worked for me was the original OxyElite Pro, I think they have reformulated it.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    @affacat - thanks for that, I had thought that using them may just help me get in the right frame of mind/into more of a routine (and obviously with that comes better results because clearly more effort - whether you realise it or not - is being put into the whole diet/exercise regime). My boyfriend advocates the "placebo effect" and I know a lot of people say the same thing that because you think it might be helping you inadvertently work that little bit harder and then see results.

@musyc - I'm pleased that you saw some benefit to using them. I know that they can become a "crutch" and people rely on them far too much if they see results. I've read about the downsides/sideffects of them and will do so a bit more.

@krs - thank you, I actually had only come across the caffeine based ones so will do a bit more research.

@RoseTears - your post was really helpful and I'm glad they are working for you! I do lift heavy 3 times a week (cardio on two of those days as I can't even attempt to run on leg day!!!) and I'm going to look into that a bit more. I think you're definitely right in that people think they're a diet pill and the are bitterly disappointed when nothing happens!!

Before I even think about buying anything like this I'm going to do a bit more research and then decide. Will try and speak to my trainer again and see what she thinks, as I've still not heard from her.

Thanks all :flowerforyou:
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    @affacat - thanks for that, I had thought that using them may just help me get in the right frame of mind/into more of a routine (and obviously with that comes better results because clearly more effort - whether you realise it or not - is being put into the whole diet/exercise regime). My boyfriend advocates the "placebo effect" and I know a lot of people say the same thing that because you think it might be helping you inadvertently work that little bit harder and then see results.
    --
    Before I even think about buying anything like this I'm going to do a bit more research and then decide. Will try and speak to my trainer again and see what she thinks, as I've still not heard from her.

yep, that's pretty much it. i mean, for all i know it really helped in other ways, but it was worth the money just for the headspace.
    i actually prefer the kind with the caffeine... it's perfect for pre-workout, though obviously, your relationship with caffeine will dictate that. i will say this -- after two months of using pro-sculpt, i think i may be slightly addicted... like, i balk at the thought of stopping when my last half-container runs out in a couple weeks. i recognize that 'feeling' as addiction (clearly, caffeine) but i'll be replacing it with a cup of black coffee, so the 'come down' shouldn't be bad at all. the 8 weeks and take a month off is definitely a solid recommendation.

you also mentioned you weren't digging your protein powder. i can definitely put a solid word in for metabolic reset (i've only tried chocolate). i've been doing various shakes (powders, home-made, hybrids, etc) for a couple decades and have been using MR (with rice milk) since i started this concentrated weight loss effort. it completely replaced my lunch for the last few months. it's high in fiber as well as protein, which makes it a filling meal replacement for me (only for one meal a day, lunch in my case). though because of the fiber, you need to blend it, mixing it with a spoon simply won't cut it. i don't know about any of the other claims it makes (ie, affecting your metabolism), but it accomplishes my goals for it (taste, filling, and a smoothie lunch... i'd drink every meal if i thought it was healthy, lol).

i actually am now adding a builder bar to my lunch, but not because i'm hungry, but because i think i need to up my cals to kickstart losing the last few pounds (i only joined this site a couple days ago and have realized my calorie count on workout days is 500-800 lower than it probably should be).
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    --

yep, that's pretty much it. i mean, for all i know it really helped in other ways, but it was worth the money just for the headspace.
    i actually prefer the kind with the caffeine... it's perfect for pre-workout, though obviously, your relationship with caffeine will dictate that. i will say this -- after two months of using pro-sculpt, i think i may be slightly addicted... like, i balk at the thought of stopping when my last half-container runs out in a couple weeks. i recognize that 'feeling' as addiction (clearly, caffeine) but i'll be replacing it with a cup of black coffee, so the 'come down' shouldn't be bad at all. the 8 weeks and take a month off is definitely a solid recommendation.

you also mentioned you weren't digging your protein powder. i can definitely put a solid word in for metabolic reset (i've only tried chocolate). i've been doing various shakes (powders, home-made, hybrids, etc) for a couple decades and have been using MR (with rice milk) since i started this concentrated weight loss effort. it completely replaced my lunch for the last few months. it's high in fiber as well as protein, which makes it a filling meal replacement for me (only for one meal a day, lunch in my case). though because of the fiber, you need to blend it, mixing it with a spoon simply won't cut it. i don't know about any of the other claims it makes (ie, affecting your metabolism), but it accomplishes my goals for it (taste, filling, and a smoothie lunch... i'd drink every meal if i thought it was healthy, lol).

i actually am now adding a builder bar to my lunch, but not because i'm hungry, but because i think i need to up my cals to kickstart losing the last few pounds (i only joined this site a couple days ago and have realized my calorie count on workout days is 500-800 lower than it probably should be).

thank you! very helpful indeed.

No i really dislike my protein powder, its only myprotein chocolate smooth, but it is so sickly sweet. It doesn't have that "gone off milk" taste that a lot seem to have. They're just so darn expensive to keep changing. I will have a look into MR, thanks.