Sick of nothing changing....

Options
Hello. I'm new and am hoping that this is what will finally get me to stick to something. I am 5'7" and weigh 170, and am extremely addicted to chocolate. I sit at a desk all day, which is not helping me lose weight. By the time I get off work and run my kids around, I'm too exhausted to exercise. I'm not great in the kitchen and never know what to cook or where to even begin. If anyone has advice I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Replies

• M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise in the mornings before anyone gets up, so I dont get interrupted and you know exactly how many calories you can have for the day. Just limit your fried food and over processed foods. read through posts on MFP to get ideas on different types of exercises and recipies. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Start off with small changes. Get an exercise dvd, walk or go to the gym, whatever you like to do. Put in the effort even if its 10 or 15 minutes. I am an hour from my job and I either get up 45 min earlier to work out or take the kids to the park and walk at the park around 7pm. Now my son asks me everyday if we are going walking, he knows he is going to play at the park. For my chocolate fixes I got skinny cow creamy clusters that are only 120 calories a pack, for my chip fix I eat the special k sour cream and onion packs that are about 100 calories a pack. I don't eat these everyday but I do pack snacks just in case. I'm not a cooker but recently purchased a crockpot and have been making awesome meals that have been lasting a few days for me and the kids. I have gotton a lot of great receipes off of this site. Also, purchased the nutribullet to make smoothies. Love them. I started in Jan 2013 and have lost 23 pounds so far and 3 sizes. At one point I stopped losing and realized I was not eating enough so upped my calories. No headaches and still losing. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • xbted
    xbted Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey Jenny,

I'm a teacher, and it seems like I don't even have time to use that bathroom some days. Personally, I keep a few apples with me- they don't need refrigeration and they tide me over between meals. I like to use exercise time as some 'free' time to get out and listen to music. I got myself a head lamp so I can run at night if I need to. I guess the thing is to just keep moving when you can and not eat too much chocolate (I have the same issue with beer.) Eat when you are hungry, and try not to when you're not, and use the food diary on here- it's very enlightening! Unfortunately for me, this is the second time I've done this- I lost about 100 pounds about 20 years ago, and I have gained it all back. The name of the game is lifestyle change and not 'quick fix.' So if you have a goal of being fit for the rest of your life, no matter how long it takes, if you keep working on it then you are a winner!

Best regards,
    Ted
  • missionimposs
    missionimposs Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi you can add me !!!! Chocolate is my one and only vice !!!!:flowerforyou:
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Good luck on your journey :-) Take it a day at a time and even 30 mins exercise helps which most people can fit in sometime :-) Here are 2 sites that I have found helpful

http://www.rippedrecipes.com/index.html

http://hasfit.com/beginner-workout-program/
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    It's hard to get started, but once you start seeing results, it will become easier. I'm all for "everything in moderation", but if you can't control yourself when eating chocolate, you should keep it out of your house and office. I work full-time and have a 2.5 year old so I understand being tired at the end of the day, but if you want to make time for working out, you will. When I started my weight-loss journey, I was going to the gym in the morning before work. My fiancé recently started working out as well and prefers to go in the morning so I switched to evenings, which I actually like better. I go home, take care of a few things and hang out with my kiddo and then head to the gym around 7 or 7:30. I consider it to be my "me time" and I actually look forward to it now. Do you have a supportive partner? That makes a huge difference when children are involved.
  • mistertripps
    Options
    I finally broke down and bought an activity tracker (fitbit) and it is the best motivational tool I've ever owned. It let's me know how I am doing compared to other days of activity and I'll literally get up off the couch no matter how tired I am and walk for 10-15 minutes if I don't feel like I've gotten in enough steps that day. Best $100 I have spent in a long time. As for food, just joining MFP and tracking everything I put in my body also made a big difference. I find it is easier to turn down that piece of chocolate when I know I have to go post it in my food log. Bottom line, don't give up and don't let the scale be your only indicator of positive change.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new and am hoping that this is what will finally get me to stick to something. I am 5'7" and weigh 170, and am extremely addicted to chocolate. I sit at a desk all day, which is not helping me lose weight. By the time I get off work and run my kids around, I'm too exhausted to exercise. I'm not great in the kitchen and never know what to cook or where to even begin. If anyone has advice I would GREATLY appreciate it.
    I mean this in the nicest possible way...but STOP USING EXCUSES! Everyone is busy, many of us work desk jobs, and lets face it, its probably safe to say that most women feel addicted to chocolate sometimes.

If you really want to make a change, you really have to really WANT to make a change, and commit to doing it, even when it gets frustrating. Just keep perspective on what you want and why you want it (fill our your profile if that helps)....and remember that you don't want to be feeling the same way a year from now as you do today. Take a look at the recipe boards here, and websites like skinnytaste.com, and pre-plan (if possible even pre-cook) your meals for the week...it will make things easier during the week when you're feeling the time crunch and the temptation to just pick up something unhealthy because you're too busy....

Believe in yourself.....
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi, You can add me if you would like some more friends. My answer to chocolate is the light Muscle Milk or the Pure Protein Chocolate favor Protein drinks. Both are Very high in protein (which is great for you ) and low in carbs. the best part is they Really taste like chocolate. The Pure protein has a chocolate protein bar that is to die for!! Yum!!! :smile:
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Im the mother to two children. for me having to C-sections has been hard in my jorney in losing weight. Im not here to make any excuses for myself or anything but it does make it hard. Anywho i have been working my a$@ off and i have come a long way. I came back to work last year after having my daughter and weighted 155.6 im only 5'2 (During my pregnency i went up to 174.) ts the most ive been in my life, with my son (first born) i went up to 160. :/ I have weighted between 125-128 my whole life. Today i can proudly said i weight 129 and after two kids, two c-sections and NO GYM MEMBERSHIP! Of course i still look at myself and im still not happy with my body, i still need to tone up tons! i need help.! anyone have anything? also thanks for listening to my story, and GOOD LUCK in your own jorney!
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest possible way...but STOP USING EXCUSES! Everyone is busy, many of us work desk jobs, and lets face it, its probably safe to say that most women feel addicted to chocolate sometimes.

If you really want to make a change, you really have to really WANT to make a change, and commit to doing it, even when it gets frustrating. Just keep perspective on what you want and why you want it (fill our your profile if that helps)....and remember that you don't want to be feeling the same way a year from now as you do today. Take a look at the recipe boards here, and websites like skinnytaste.com, and pre-plan (if possible even pre-cook) your meals for the week...it will make things easier during the week when you're feeling the time crunch and the temptation to just pick up something unhealthy because you're too busy....

Believe in yourself.....

May i add, i too have a desk job. i work 40 hours a week. i have two little ones ages 4.5 and 1.5 i too have to run around after work. cook, clean, homework, playing outside, everything... it does get very crazy. But i know how important it is for me to be able to run around for them and with them, i dont want to never be able to do all those fun things with my kids, like practice sports, or even be there for them healthy in the long run! i usuaslly use my lunch hour to work out. My work has a small gym and i make it work. or even at home i do whatever i can without all those machines.. iI wish you well! Good Luck to you. i hope you find something that works for you. :)
  • jenny5557
    jenny5557 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • jenny5557
    jenny5557 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you VERY much!!!
  • KLCZETA
    KLCZETA Posts: 6
    Options
    Start small, if you drive to work try parking a little farther from the building. If you work in a high rise try to walk up just one flight of steps for a week and increase a floor each week. Get the kids involved, play tag with them, hide and go seek-if they are that young. I used to cook for the week on the weekends. One week we would have different chicken dishes (was cheaper to buy chicken in bulk) there are a lot of great recipes online. You can do this. I'm 5'6" and weigh 190lbs and for the past two months I've been exercising and nothing is happening as far as weight loss but my clothes are looser. So hang in there it will happen. What ever you do DON'T GIVE UP.
  • kzslucas
    kzslucas Posts: 6
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place! I pray you will find comfort AND motivation here!
  • rachaelbmh
    rachaelbmh Posts: 54
    Options
    Set really small goals at first. Things like drinking one extra glass of water or taking a 15 minute walk. As you build on your small goals, you'll start seeing results and will be encouraged to make more goals. It's a process so be patient with yourself and if you make a mistake - don't feel guilty or put yourself down. Just keep moving forward with the next healthy choice that's presented to you. You can do it!
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I too sit at a desk all day, have 2 young kids (6 and almost 9), by the time work is done, the evenings seem very short and I am usually beat! I am trying hard to find time for me to workout - the time that seems to work best is in the morning BEFORE my day begins i..e before I have to get the kids up etc. I hate mornings so this is a challenge. But, at the beginning of the day you are not worn out from the day and you can focus on you (think of this as "ME" time - you are worth it). Another suggestion is to even try for a small walk at lunch. When I work out in the morning, I actually feel like I have more energy. Also, working out can be cheap, lots of good DVDs, I had a friend recommend Leslie Sansone Just WALK - really good, cheap at Walmart too $14.
    As far as cooking, start with small changes. Bake some chicken breast that you can eat in many ways - sandwich, on salad, even a small piece for a snack. Have healthy choices on hand- hard boiled eggs, nice apples, tuna, greek yogurt etc. You can also get portion packed nuts - Joe's Tasty Travel at Walmart (100 calories)...best is to try to plan ahead BEFORE you are hungry.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. Good Luck.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    this is a great site, I have joined some challenges to help me stick to it, you don't want to let a team down, still some days I still struggle. Anyone can add me we all need support for this lifestyle change
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    danceing with my kids is a great way to get some exercise in and have some quality silly fun time. My two year old loves it !!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I try to add some exercise into feeding my 6 month old!! I lunge to feed him and also stand far back and then gallop over to him. He thinks I am hilarious, my neighbors proabably think I'm nuts!!! I also lay in the floor with him and lift him in the air. If I am feeling extra amorous, I will have my 6 year old do the airplane thing where you hold the kids hand and then lift their body off the ground. He weighs like 70 pounds so its a little hard at this point!!! Just try to add some extra steps into your day too. My office mate and I try to stop about every few hours and do planks!! Dont know if your office is set up for that or not, but if so, try it out!! I know exactly what you are going through!! Its tough!!