pros and cons of eating vegan?

Options
I'm trying to eat vegan, at least for most of the day. I'm finding it difficult to get protein into my diet, and with all the fruit I've been eating, my sugar levels on MFP are very high. I thought veganism was supposed to be super healthy, but I keep on going over on my carbs and sugar. But I'm way under for my calorie count. Help!

If anyone is a successful vegan, any tips or stories would be great :)

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My migraines are gone, my skin cleared up, my joint pain is gone.

Your getting carbs and sugar from fruit it's not "bad".

Ask yourself this though is this a lifestyle you can commit to; or are you doing for weight loss only?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Pro: Good protein
    Con: Getting thrown in jail for eating a vegan
  • pseraphina
    pseraphina Posts: 8
    Options
    haha :)
  • rachaelbmh
    rachaelbmh Posts: 54
    Options
    There are a lot of vegan protein sources you can use in place of meat. Whole grains, nuts and seeds and beans are all excellent sources of protein without the need for additional supplements. You also mentioned sugar from fruit - maybe try replacing some of those servings of fruit with a veggie and see how you feel? Sugar is a very constricting food and can definitely cause headaches. If you keep your blood sugar stable, you won't have those huge swings anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing vegan? If it's just because you think it's "healthy"...well, pretty much any dietary lifestyle can be as healthy as you make it. I know some vegetarians that eat very healthy and others that eat crap. Just because you don't eat meat doesn't necessarily mean "healthy"...in fact, it means you have to go the extra mile to be healthy and get the proper nutrients in your diet...because getting adequate protein while eating vegetarian and vegan is pretty tough to do, particularly as many vegetarian proteins are incomplete chains.

I'm not trying to discourage you from being vegan necessarily...but it should be sustainable long term for you. And, if your mind set is meat = not healthy, then that isn't a very good mind set and you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons. Most vegetarians and vegans I know live the lifestyle more because they have moral issues with how meat is processed, etc.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think both vegetarianism and veganism can have many health benefits, and can be a healthy life style, but see I said LIFESTYLE and not diet!, It is only good for you if you are committed to the change and you do it properly...it is not as simple as removing meat/animal products from your diet, but finding the right replacement so you get all your nutritional needs...I think to be vegan is a pretty string choice...you may cope better beginning with a vegetarian diet first and go from there once you learn what you are doing.

But if you are just doing to for dieting reasons, then I think you would do better to learn how to eat a balanced regular diet.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's very easy and very healthy..but done right. A little research is important.

For example, I start my day with an amazing shake of a great vegan protein powder, amla, raw cocoa, flax seed and then add cherries, blueberries, kale and ginger.

For lunch I might have a bean and kale stew with a small sandwich of hummus, lettuce, tomato, avocado on protein grain bread.

I snack on walnuts, pecans, strawberries and if I am dancing a lot I might have peanut butter on toast before classes.

For dinner I might have a cheseless home made pizza on wholewhet crust with kale, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, tempeh, nutritional yeast with walnuts, fresh tomato and a salad.

It is not hard...there is loads of variety and if you eat well, you will totally get enought protein. It's a fallacy in our culture that we need to eat giant amounts of protein anyhow.

Fruit is great for you..you don't need to limit it. It had fibre and this site doesn't seem to take that into consideration.
    I dance over nine hours a week, hike and am very active and never have any trouble with energy and rarely get sick.
    Feel free to friend me if you need advice.

It's wonderful to be vegan for health and for the earth :) Well done and keep it up.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The main advantage is you're not complicit in the undue suffering and death of animals.

There is some good advice on eating vegan on the Vegan Society website (the U.K. one.)
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I would use the bathroom like 5 times a day and had major gas at all times. But I was getting in a bunch of veggies.
    If you can eat that way go for it. You can get creative with some of the ways you cook things too because you sort of have to if you miss meat and cheese (which is why I couldn't keep it up)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    bacon2copy.jpg
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Biggest con and 100% reason I won't go vegan.

No bacon.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    If you can do it more power to you I would rather eat reasonably I tired to do the vegan vegetarian thing and its just not for me. If you need some motivation though go visit PETAs web site that will give you nightmares and make you never want to eat beef again.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat vegan, at least for most of the day. I'm finding it difficult to get protein into my diet, and with all the fruit I've been eating, my sugar levels on MFP are very high. I thought veganism was supposed to be super healthy, but I keep on going over on my carbs and sugar. But I'm way under for my calorie count. Help!

If anyone is a successful vegan, any tips or stories would be great :)

OK, before you transition into something, I would THINK that anyone would DO RESEARCH! Like, what are the BEST Sources of Protein and where are they located; Best Sources of Calcium, B-12 Sources, what are Micro Nutrients and best sources, what does heating food do to it, how much raw and cooked food do I want to eat...DO some WORK for Yourself or you will ALWAYS be going with "the next best thing" in the wind. RESEARCH!!!
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Biggest con and 100% reason I won't go vegan.

No bacon.

Me too. I might go pescatarian (sp?) once I move from the area because at the moment we get our meat by the animal from a friend in the village, so I know where it's raised and can even choose which animal. I don't know if I would be comfortable buying meat from a store again.
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Reduced saturated fats. Dairy products and meats contain a large amount of saturated fats. By reducing the amount of saturated fats from your diet, you’ll improve your health tremendously, especially when it comes to cardiovascular health.

*Cardiovascular disease. Eating nuts and whole grains, while eliminating dairy products and meat, will improve your cardiovascular health. A British study indicates that a vegan diet reduces the risk for heart disease and Type 2 diabetes. Vegan diets go far in preventing heart attack and stroke.

*Cholesterol. Eliminating any food that comes from an animal and you will eliminate all dietary cholesterol from your diet. Your heart will thank you for that.

*Blood pressure. A diet rich in whole grains is beneficial to your health in many ways, including lowering high blood pressure.
    Type 2 diabetes. Not only is a vegan diet a weapon against Type 2 diabetes, it is also "easier to follow than the standard diet recommended by the American Diabetic Association." Read more about it here.

*Prostate cancer. A major study showed that men in the early stages of prostate cancer who switched to a vegan diet either stopped the progress of the cancer or may have even reversed the illness.

*Colon cancer. Eating a diet consisting of whole grains, along with fresh fruits and vegetables, can greatly reduce your chances of colon cancer.

*Breast cancer. Countries where women eat very little meat and animal products have a much lower rate of breast cancer than do the women in countries that consume more animal products.

*Macular degeneration. Diets with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially leafy greens, carrots, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes, can help prevent the onset of age-related macular degeneration.

*Cataracts. Much the same way macular degeneration is headed off by a vegan diet, cataracts are also thought to be prevented through the intake of the same fruits and vegetables. Produce high in antioxidants are also believed to help prevent cataracts.

*Arthritis. Eliminating dairy consumption has long been connected with alleviating arthritis symptoms, but a new study indicates that a combination of gluten-free and vegan diet is very promising for improving the health of those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.

*Osteoporosis. Bone health depends on a balance of neither too much or too little protein, adequate calcium intake, high potassium, and low sodium. With a healthy vegan diet, all four of these points set a perfect scenario for preventing osteoporosis.

There are 57 benefits listed here: http://www.nursingdegree.net/blog/19/57-health-benefits-of-going-vegan/
    I have been vegan since January 2011 and started the whole vegetarian thing October 2008. Eating a healthy vegan diet can be VERY beneficial
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    Being a junk food vegan. If you go vegan avoid packaged foods as much as possible. Just because it's vegan doesn't make it good for you.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    They might have something against that, unless you're talking metaphorical.

Cannibalism is typically frowned upon though.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm a strong, healthy vegan...and about 25% of my calories is protein. I eat (some sprouted) whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, seitan, vega protein smoothies, pea, hemp and sprouted rice protein powders, protein bars like Organic Food Bar- protein, nuts, seeds, quinoa and a ton of kale and other veggies.

major benefits include (but not limited to) awesome immunity to all the colds that go around, great recovery time from heavy lifting, tons of energy, sleeping peacefully and good karma from not being cruel to animals!
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Pro: Good protein
    Con: Getting thrown in jail for eating a vegan

^^ This

But seriously...
    Pros: healthier, balanced diet, knowing everything that goes into your mouth (hehehe get our mind out of the gutter)
    Cons: have to meal plan, cook a lot and hard to eat out

There are plenty of ways to get more than protein :)
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    I am no longer eating vegan. I consider going back sometimes... but I don't. That being said...

Pros:
    *I feel good about not financially supporting the suffering of animals in factory farms
    *Fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, and nuts are yummier than meat
    *It can be a very healthy, clean way to eat if you do it right (although plenty of junk food is totally vegan)

Cons:
    *Vegan protein sources usually have carbohydrates as well. Some of them have a lot of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates have calories... so depending on what you feel your macro ratios should be, it can be pretty hard to get enough protein on a low calorie diet, especially without supplementing. That's my experience, anyway.
    *Having to constantly explain yourself to people who swear you can't possibly eat enough protein, iron, etc... often people who pay no attention to what they eat and swear their daily diet is still better than yours.
    *Eating out is difficult
    *Family holidays with food are awkward

tips... vegan protein shakes with no sugar added/unsweetened, mix with water.
    Don't worry about sugar from fruit. It's the added/refined sugar you need to limit.
    Make sure you get a variety of different protein sources so you have all the essential amino acids
    Seitan is the most protein dense source (as long as you're not sensitive to wheat gluten), and it's cheap to make yourself. However, it's not a complete protein so as mentioned before, be sure to mix it up.

If you drink protein shakes, I like Life's Basics Plant Protein (with chia & hemp seeds). I drink the chocolate flavor which is sweetened, but they have unsweetened as well. I can't vouch for it, because I haven't tried it.