NOT LOSING WEIGHT!! :(

Options
Hi, I'm 5'6 and 156 pounds currently. I've been sticking to a 1200 calorie goal for the past 2 weeks or so and have been going to the gym quite often. I do a lot of cardio and moderate lifting. I have lost 10 pounds previous to MFP by just cutting out alcohol consumption. I really have cut out so much junk food that I used to eat and I'm still not losing much weight, I'm really discouraged and feel like there's no point :(

Replies

• ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    1) Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, then do so.
    2) When you say "a lot of cadio," how much is a lot? Chances are you might not be eating enough.
  • smallkay2
    smallkay2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I usually do 45-60 minutes of fast walking on full incline, I burn between 460-690 calories, I don't usually eat those calories back because I usually go to the gym late like around 11pm. I find it so hard to meet 1200 somedays it's too many calories for me! I'm used to eating a couple meals a day
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're burning that much and only eating 1200 calories, then you're netting 510-740. That's not enough to sustain you. Try adding calorie dense food like avocados, peanut butter, nuts, etc. Very easy to get 1200 that way.

That being said, I think you should take a look at this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

Because I really don't think even 1200 net is enough for the amount of exercise you're doing.
  • AllisonPlease
    AllisonPlease Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat 1200 cal. You're body is likely in starvation mode and holding on to everything that you have. Start eating smaller meals more frequently, that should help.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I usually do 45-60 minutes of fast walking on full incline, I burn between 460-690 calories, I don't usually eat those calories back because I usually go to the gym late like around 11pm. I find it so hard to meet 1200 somedays it's too many calories for me! I'm used to eating a couple meals a day

What the above posters have said in advice and also, you can eat back the calories before the workout providing you still do it. It doesn't have to be after.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. If you know you're going to go to the gym every night, just eat 450 calories extra that day. 1200 is probably not enough though... What does MFP tell you at the 'lose 1lb a week' setting? Eat that... and your exercise calories.
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    I find it so hard to meet 1200 somedays it's too many calories for me! I'm used to eating a couple meals a day

I generally eat 2 meals a day. I manage 1600-1700 calories, plus eating exercise calories back.

You need to eat food - lots of food, a variety of food, food that is nutrient and calorie dense. You have to eat enough calories for your body to not think it needs to hang onto every single thing it can.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Maybe that is your answer in a nutshell?

You find it hard to eat 1200 cals a day and used to eating a couple of meals a day?

It could be that you were under eating before?

It really doesn`t matter what time you go to they gym if you are adding daily calories to your diary.

You can use the scooby calorie counter, you can find it on google and put in your tdee, then you will not have to add your calories burnt on MFP. You can see how many calories you can eat to lose based on your height/weight/exercise
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Is the treadmill telling you you burn that much or do you have a separate monitor? Gym cardio machines are notoriously inaccurate on caloric burns.

1200 calories and you have that level of exercise, and you do not eat back your burn? You are definitely not eating enough. Your body will not release fat if it thinks its in a crisis state (which is probably thinks it is).

EAT WOMAN!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    . I find it so hard to meet 1200 somedays it's too many calories for me! I'm used to eating a couple meals a day

The reason you are here is that you ate a lot and have gain some weight. So you had no trouble eating before. Eat more dense food like peanut butter, avocada, nuts, etc. over 200 cals for these.
  • smallkay2
    smallkay2 Posts: 5
    Options
    The reason I'm here is because I used to drink ALOT, I frequently skipped meals and when I did eat it was unhealthy foods. This resulted in my weight gain.
  • mercymarque
    mercymarque Posts: 450
    Options
    You have to eat to lose. It's about eating healthy/clean foods. I workout late too as I two jobs. I put on weight from eating late. I eat every 2-3 hours clean foods, drink plenty of water and get in about 1500 calories prior to going to the gym. I stop eating around 6 or 7 and burn a where between 300-900 calories 5 nights a week. Get more and you should see a change. Find out what your BMR is and don't go over that... Get more. Good luck to u!