Why do we breathe heavier when doing leg workouts?

Options
krhn
krhn Posts: 781 Member
I've noticed that straight after 1 set of squatting only 7-12 reps, I'm bringing up my heart rate and I'm gasping for air more than say other body part workouts.... Any reason why other than because its one of the largest muscle group (legs) :huh:

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that straight after 1 set of squatting only 7-12 reps, I'm bringing up my heart rate and I'm gasping for air more than say other body part workouts.... Any reason why other than because its one of the largest muscle group (legs) :huh:

If I was squatting 7-12 reps, I'd probably be puking and passing out, not breathing. I couldn't imagine having a bar that heavy on my back for that long. I'm generally blown and dying by the 4th rep.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've never looked into why this happens, but squats definitely bring me closer to the breaking (puking) point more than any other exercise by far. My heart rate usually reaches max or comes pretty darn close.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think part of it may be that because more than any other lift (with deadlifts being fairly similar), you actually use/strain your whole body. I mean, you have a heavy bar resting on your shoulders. Your arms are working just holding on, even if it's lightly, to keep that bar from rolling off your shoulders. Your core is engaged to keep that weight put, etc. While it's technically a leg/butt exercise, you really and truly do use your entire body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As you stated yourself, your lower body has the largest set of muscles in your (quads, hams, glute). The larger the muscle, the larger the oxygen/blood requirements. So when you do lower body workouts your body needs more oxygen and blood to those muscle groups.
  • krhn
    Options

If I was squatting 7-12 reps, I'd probably be puking and passing out, not breathing. I couldn't imagine having a bar that heavy on my back for that long. I'm generally blown and dying by the 4th rep.

Lol you should see me crash from reaching 7 reps 1st set down to 5 and rapidly losing the rep numbers xD
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    When you are squatting you are using your entire body and squatting down and up.

When you do something like bench press you are using your chest and arms, not your entire body to lift the weight.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm always gasping/dying with an elevated heart rate when I'm doing squats (I'm doing sets in the 8-12 rep range like you). I freaking love it :D
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Because our legs are the largest muscles in our bodies and those muscles are sending messages to our lungs "O2 - STAT" :)
  • krhn
    Options
    Because our legs are the largest muscles in our bodies and those muscles are sending messages to our lungs "O2 - STAT" :)

Lol unfortunately my brain don't receive these messages and I suffer lag where my body is like 'fk air! Now!' A second after I need it!:bigsmile:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You're breathing heavier because it takes a lot more effort to circulate the blood through the lower regions of your body which are also the largest muscle groups in the body. That's a lot of blood your heart has to pump.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Lol unfortunately my brain don't receive these messages and I suffer lag where my body is like 'fk air! Now!' A second after I need it!:bigsmile:

Learning to breathe correctly is an important part of having good form. I have a slight tendency to vasovagal syncope (fainting), and if I don't concentrate on breathing properly, I get light headed. I don't want to be collapsing when I have a heavy bar on my back!
  • krhn
    Options

Learning to breathe correctly is an important part of having good form. I have a slight tendency to vasovagal syncope (fainting), and if I don't concentrate on breathing properly, I get light headed. I don't want to be collapsing when I have a heavy bar on my back!
    Not really an issue atm as I hold dumbbells albeit, puts tremendous fatigue on the arms ... I don't necessarily go light headed as such, I just need epic Huge breaths after my set as well as feeling wobbly after!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Could you please elaborate on what the correct breathing pattern would be for lifting in general and squats in particular?
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    A squat takes you through a pretty large range of motion, which obviously requires more energy/oxygen than smaller movements like a press or deadlift.

It's the same reason that burpees and jumping jacks are really efficient cardio exercises.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Could you please elaborate on what the correct breathing pattern would be for lifting in general and squats in particular?

A vagal response happens when you push air against a closed epiglottis. A lot of people pass out pooping when they force it, for this reason.
    If you're not breathing right (IE at all) while doing heavy lifts, you're doing the same thing.
    Basically you want to be exhaling when you're doing the most exertion.

So for something like a squat or bench: In on down, out on up.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Bigger muscles. The bigger they are, the more respiration will be required to keep working.
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Don't hold your breath. Grunting while lifting or doing squats...lol...not cool. And if you are ready to keel over because you are in the conditioning phase of your fitness plan, listen to your body and take a pause :)
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options

The toughest exercises are the most beneficial so keep doing them. Breathing heavy during exercise, sweating, panting, nausea, discomfort, etc. are all part of the package. Suck it up! Did you really think it was supposed to be a brisk walk amongst the tulips?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Any reason why other than because its one of the largest muscle group (legs) :huh:

Why would you look for a reason beyond this?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Don't hold your breath. Grunting while lifting or doing squats...lol...not cool. And if you are ready to keel over because you are in the conditioning phase of your fitness plan, listen to your body and take a pause :)

Since when is grunting not cool?

Try doing your max effort without grunting!

I don't grunt on lower weights, but I can't squat (or lift anything heavy) without grunting.