Why are we eating (drinking) none meal items to supplement o

Options
I have viewed a few diaries that are filled with shakes, diet bars, etc.... Do anyone eat meals anymore? If we are trying to make a healthy change for the rest of our life how about learning portion control and eat a healthly, balanced diet. I know we all have busy lives and want to get rid of the weight quickly. However we did not gain the weight quickly. Take your time. Learn. Learn. Once again, learn. Learn about the new you. Learn about good food choices (not supplements for food). Learn about the right balance. Learn on how to control your portions and urges. Embrace what you have in store by making a change for a life time instead of for the moment. If we do not slow down and take this time to learn we will revisit who we were before we know.

I like the future me more than the past me. I do not intend to go back so I am going to eat and eat well. How about you? Sound off.

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Where is the AMEN smiley?

Very well said, I couldn't agree more.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • rmeenen
    rmeenen Posts: 23
    Options
    i totally agree with this!! Before when I have tried to diet I did these things and relied on the frozen meals. Every time I was unsuccessful and this time I am cooking meals and learning to control my portions and eat healthy foods and it has been so much easier! I totally agree that we need to learn these things and not just replace with diet bars and other things!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I am glad we are in agreement and I wish there was an Amen Smiley. LOL
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Ditto!!!!!!

Everyone wants a quick fix...or has the excuse "I just need to get it started".....why not START properly.......It makes no sense to me...
  • cparter
    Options
    It is great when we are learned and agree. Thanks for chiming in.
  • Kanakake
    Kanakake Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well said!!.
  • cparter
    Options
    Ooops.. That is it is great when we have learned. :blushing:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this! Good point!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You are SO right! Some people are dieting - we are creating a lifestyle change. Except - some people work out for HOURS and HOURS and need a protein shake to give them the nutrition they need. Enjoy your meals (I will too!).
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Ditto!!!!!!

Everyone wants a quick fix...or has the excuse "I just need to get it started".....why not START properly.......It makes no sense to me...

I agree with this. I think the best way to "get it started" is to make a healthy change. I'd sooner think someone could "get it started" on the road to a new lifestyle by making one sustainable change every week than by suddenly eating nothing but protein bars and instant shakes.
  • cparter
    Options
    Ditto!!!!!!

I agree with this. I think the best way to "get it started" is to make a healthy change. I'd sooner think someone could "get it started" on the road to a new lifestyle by making one sustainable change every week than by suddenly eating nothing but protein bars and instant shakes.

Well, Said.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! *amen smiley* I think it could be just like :drinker: but without the cups, like a "here, here!" haha Anyway... I used to eat a lot of protein bars (mainly as snacks or right before a work out if I hadn't eaten in awhile) because it was recommended by a physical therapist who was teaching a work out class for the ladies of my church. I started eating a protein bar right before a work out when I worked out in the morning when I FIRST started this year...but then realized I didn't need them. I was fine on an empty stomach and realized how high calorie they were.

Now the only "supplement" I use are protein shakes for a recovery drink after my work outs. I use them mainly to help me hit my protein goal and help me from being so sore afterwards and they work great... but I still try to eat at least 20-30g protein every meal and about that same amount for all my snacks for the day, and then I can hit my daily protein goal.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options

Amen Smiley would be awesome! And I too, completely agree with the post! :flowerforyou:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I agree too. I just think it's a shame if people are replacing most of their meals with shakes and protein bars because there is A LOT of really good healthy food out there to enjoy.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I agree, when I was deciding on a "diet:" I looked at what could I do forever, I do eat a lot of snacks (probably half my cal intake) but I eat every 2-3 hours and a lot of time catching up cals from my workout.
    But a long term lifestyle change will include normal well rounded meals, if you cant do it forever than it wont work
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have viewed a few diaries that are filled with shakes, diet bars, etc.... Do anyone eat meals anymore? If we are trying to make a healthy change for the rest of our life how about learning portion control and eat a healthly, balanced diet. I know we all have busy lives and want to get rid of the weight quickly. However we did not gain the weight quickly. Take your time. Learn. Learn. Once again, learn. Learn about the new you. Learn about good food choices (not supplements for food). Learn about the right balance. Learn on how to control your portions and urges. Embrace what you have in store by making a change for a life time instead of for the moment. If we do not slow down and take this time to learn we will revisit who we were before we know.

I like the future me more than the past me. I do not intend to go back so I am going to eat and eat well. How about you? Sound off.

Personally, I do not touch the shakes or the diet bars. Everytime I have met somebody who ate and drank those to lose their weight, they gained again as soon as they went onto normal food.

I guess it all comes down to convenience really, easier to snap open a diet bar and guzzle down a shake than it is to cook.

In my opinion, you can't beat eating real food though, it is so much easier to handle once the maintenance stage is reached because all you have to do there is to increase the grub, rather than switch over.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great post!

The only "bars" I eat are Lara Bars, which aren't energy/diet bars - they're just fruit/nut bars made without preservatives/artificial ingredients. I like them because they have very few ingredients, no preservatives, and only a few have any added sugar (the few with chocolate chips in them). Most have ingredient lists like: Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Apples, Walnuts, Raisins, Cinnamon (That's the "Apple Pie" bar).

I only eat these when I need a healthy, high-calorie snack on the go... most of them are 180-230 calories a bar.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I agree that people, all people [whether or not they're trying to lose weight or be healthy] should eat real food. I've seen a few journals here where there are shakes and bars but I often times think it's just to supplement what they're already eating or doing.

I havent seen too many people here just consuming these shakes and/or bars. I see people who use them to fill in the gaps. I'm not saying I agree one way or another - that's not my place. What works for me may not work for someone else.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Great post!

The only "bars" I eat are Lara Bars, which aren't energy/diet bars - they're just fruit/nut bars made without preservatives/artificial ingredients. I like them because they have very few ingredients, no preservatives, and only a few have any added sugar (the few with chocolate chips in them). Most have ingredient lists like: Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Apples, Walnuts, Raisins, Cinnamon (That's the "Apple Pie" bar).

I only eat these when I need a healthy, high-calorie snack on the go... most of them are 180-230 calories a bar.

I love the Lara bars! For me, with all my allergies, they are about as close to a candy bar as I can get because they are allergy "safe". But you're right, they are just a good snack on occasion.

As for the bars/shakes before working out- I used to think there was something to that too. But my endocrinologist spent 2 hours with me one time talking about stuff like this. I was shocked, and relieved at the same time, to learn that it actually is better (for me at least) to workout in the morning on an empty stomach. I was relieved because I hate working out with anything in my belly and I thought there was something wrong with me because everyone else was downing shakes and red bulls, and power bars.... ICK! Turns out, I'm perfectly normal. It was my friends who were crazy, lol.