Is my HRM accurate?

Options
I finally bought an HRM. Granted, I got a cheap one from Walmart ($50), but it has the chest strap and I can't afford the nicer ones. I can't find much in the way of reviews for this HRM.

So, here's my question. I used it for the first time tonight, and it said I burned 485 calories for 33 minutes of C25K. MFP wanted to give me 290 calories for those same 33 minutes. That's a BIG difference.

A little background/additional information:

I'm 210 lbs, and I haven't really exercised like this in over a year. About a year and a half ago I was running 5K's, finishing in about 34 minutes, and I was biking to work regularly (7.5 miles each way). I've since gained about 50 lbs, though, and I am only on week 3 of C25K. Running for 3 minutes straight is difficult and I do get quite winded.

The heart rate that the monitor was giving me was super close to what treadmills and ellipticals usually display when I'm on those -- around 165-175 when I was running, down to about 130 when I was brisk walking. I know those machines aren't *always* accurate, but if I'm noticing consistency between measurements, that's a good sign... yes?

I would imagine that if the heart rate was accurate and my information was entered correctly (which it was), shouldn't that mean the calculation was pretty accurate as well?

Or do those numbers seem crazy??

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you will never truly know but it sounds much like my HRM. Mine gives me readings consistently 250+ over what MFP has and most people say the MFP is high. It's frustrating :(
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It does seem a little high, but it's hard to know for certain. Do you have the ability to change the settings? Such as for your age and weight? Have you done that?

Another thing I've had to do to my HRM (which is a Polar FT4) is adjust my rest HR and calculate my actual Max HR and enter that information into the HRM. I was getting readings that were too high because I naturally have a higher rest HR. I googled to figure out how to calculate my low/max measurements.

Hope that helps or gets you pointed in the right direction at least,.

Also FWIW, my HRM readings are usually about right with MFP.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I finally bought an HRM. Granted, I got a cheap one from Walmart ($50), but it has the chest strap and I can't afford the nicer ones. I can't find much in the way of reviews for this HRM.

So, here's my question. I used it for the first time tonight, and it said I burned 485 calories for 33 minutes of C25K. MFP wanted to give me 290 calories for those same 33 minutes. That's a BIG difference.

A little background/additional information:

I'm 210 lbs, and I haven't really exercised like this in over a year. About a year and a half ago I was running 5K's, finishing in about 34 minutes, and I was biking to work regularly (7.5 miles each way). I've since gained about 50 lbs, though, and I am only on week 3 of C25K. Running for 3 minutes straight is difficult and I do get quite winded.

The heart rate that the monitor was giving me was super close to what treadmills and ellipticals usually display when I'm on those -- around 165-175 when I was running, down to about 130 when I was brisk walking. I know those machines aren't *always* accurate, but if I'm noticing consistency between measurements, that's a good sign... yes?

I would imagine that if the heart rate was accurate and my information was entered correctly (which it was), shouldn't that mean the calculation was pretty accurate as well?

Or do those numbers seem crazy??

My HRM was all out of whack for a while so I would take my pulse every few minutes. I averaged out my HR at the end of my workout and used this site to see what my burn was http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx.....I found that my HRM, and calculations at this site were similar
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't forget when using an HRM that it is calculating all calories burned during that time period. Part of those calories you would have burned anyway, it's not all attributed to exercise.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was just about to suggest taking your pulse every so often (the old fashioned way) just to verify. But somebody beat me to the chase.

I remember learning how to do this in high school gym class. Here's a decent explanation: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/pulsethr.aspx

I don't mean that link to seem patronizing. I just know with all the gadgets we use these days, it can be a tricky thing.

Good luck!
  • SniffyDoodle
    SniffyDoodle Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I never thought to calculate my actual resting & max HR, I'll have to look and see if I can adjust these values when I get home. Maybe that's the problem. If that doesn't do it, I'll try taking my pulse manually. I hate to have to stop running to do that, though. lol
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I never thought to calculate my actual resting & max HR, I'll have to look and see if I can adjust these values when I get home. Maybe that's the problem. If that doesn't do it, I'll try taking my pulse manually. I hate to have to stop running to do that, though. lol

you will only have to do this once or twice to see if your HRM gives you readings that make sense...once you know that it does or doesn't then you can move on from there