Ways to boost metabolism?

Options
I apparently have been undereating for a very long time. I guess that lowers your metabolism? How do I kickstart it! I want a fast metabolism again!

By the way, if it matters, I'm 19 and 155lbs.

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    How long and how low? Height?

Generally, eat at a small deficit and get enough protein and do strength training to maintain your lean body mass. I have seen studies that show a lowered metabolism after 3-6 months, but nothing following up on how long it takes the body to get back.
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    Oh, sorry lol. I'm just about 5'4"
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    I don't know how low it is. I just know I can eat 1 cracker and feel like I gained 3lbs.
  • kafilta
    kafilta Posts: 2
    Options
    have you tried carb backloading?
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    I'm not familiar with what that is, care to explain?
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Exercising regularly will stoke the flames.

How do you know you have a low BMR? Have you had it tested?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Start by eating at your TDEE for a week or two to allow your hormones to come back into balance, then slowly lower your calories by 50 each week until you are eating a moderate deficit.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I don't know how low it is. I just know I can eat 1 cracker and feel like I gained 3lbs.

While I'm sure you're exaggerating to an extent, sentiments of this sort are indicative of problems that go well beyond diet or weight loss.

Your resting metabolic rate can be described as a function of your height, lean body mass, and age.

So! Choosing among height, LBM, and age, which should you work on to increase your BMR?

I would recommend LBM by incorporating resistance training into your doubtlessly-present cardio routine. Cardio is great for burning energy, but resistance training will change the ratio of fat to muscle in your body to increase your base metabolic rate.

I'm not aware of any genuine "kick start". You could take stimulants and those would get you hyper and suppress your appetite, but the end of that road is early death. Not worth it to be skinny for a week and then have a heart attack.

If you've done metabolic damage you can repair it by being nice to your body, giving it the food that it needs for a long period of time. It isn't a light switch.
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    I haven't. I didn't know I could do that, lol. There's so much to fitness I don't know!
    I'm just assuming since I gain weight so easily.
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    Resistance like, with those bands? I'll look up ways to incorporate those. Thank you (:
  • whierd
    Options
    Knowledge is power. Learn as much as you can about fitness and how your body reacts.
  • whierd
    Options
    Resistance like, with those bands? I'll look up ways to incorporate those. Thank you (:

Actually, weight lifting is your best option.
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    I just looked up my BMR and apparently it's 1540.75.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

do you have access to a gym?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and exercise.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Anything - resistance training is strength training. Dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells (uhm, jingle bells?) but also push-ups, pull-ups . . . anything that taxes your muscles not for endurance but for strength.

Not only will this help increase your BMR but it will go toward giving you the physique you actually want. Drug addicts are skinny, but they don't look so hot naked, know what I mean?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Build muscle and be more active.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sprouts - Coconut Oil Organic Extra Virgin& Unrefined, 1 tablespoon daily can also be beneficial.
    Make sure its Extra Virgin & Unrefined.
    You can gradually increase tbls to up to 3-4 a day.
    Medium Chains Fatty Acid
    MCFAs can help increase metabolism since they are sent directly to the liver and give the body an instant source of energy. Most of the MCFAs in coconut oil are the highly beneficial Lauric Acid.
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options

do you have access to a gym?

Kind of? My grandma has a home gym, but I don't live with her anymore. I've just been doing the Wii exercising and dance stuff and brisk walking for 4 miles.
  • kafilta
    kafilta Posts: 2
    Options
    Carb backloading is a method developed by John Kiefer.

It starts with 10 days on a very low carb diet 30g or less for 10 days.

I'm on day 6 its basically telling your body to reset how it deals with carbs since it has been deprived for some time.

Try looking it up in the internet, the article in mens fitness seems to explain it well
    Hope it helps!