Dealing with CoWorkers while you diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• LuckySe7en
    LuckySe7en Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses.

To be clear, I was not trying to be melodramatic. I am in the first stages of trying to lose weight again, and things like this have completely thrown me off course in the past. It is a lot harder to "Just say no" to someone who is your boss, and does not take no for an answer, meaning that even though I said NO he still brought it, and put it in my office. I'm not trying to be ungrateful but food for me is an extremely personal matter, and one that I have struggled with my entire life. So situations like this, I am still learning to deal with.

I did follow the advice of some, and I appreciate it.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    say thank you. eat it. allow for it in your calories.

you're going to through out pulled pork and baked beans? what are you, a communist??

I agree... I take anything in the pork family very seriously.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I work with all guys, and boy can they eat. They eat out everyday. When I do eat out, I try to get something healthy from their fast food restaurant of the day. I was asked one day to choose where we should eat because "I am a PICKY eater." Man that pissed me off. I usually bring my own lunch so I don't have to put up with the snide remarks and looks. It is hard and I feel your pain. Stand tall and fast. You can do this.
  • LuckySe7en
    Options
    I work with all guys, and boy can they eat. They eat out everyday. When I do eat out, I try to get something healthy from their fast food restaurant of the day. I was asked one day to choose where we should eat because "I am a PICKY eater." Man that pissed me off. I usually bring my own lunch so I don't have to put up with the snide remarks and looks. It is hard and I feel your pain. Stand tall and fast. You can do this.

I do and have always brought my lunch. I work around a lot of restaurants, and in order to save money/calories I always bag my lunch. It sucks to be the odd one out, but I suppose it is a learning experience. Can't always expect people to respect your choices.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds really bizarre. I have to say "+1" to giving it away to someone else, smh.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I would figure out how many calories that pulled pork and those baked beans have, so I could enjoy them, and log them. It's delicious protein. Maybe the restaurant they came from could tell you.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen as well because one of my coworkers is somehow convinced I'm anorexic and have an eating disorder. I don't. And quite frankly it's reached the point where her harassment over the topic has been reported to HR for bullying.

When she's brought food and put it in front of me and "told me to eat", I've just flat out given it back to her and not eaten it. I'll say something along the lines of "I appreciate the gesture, but I'm not interested in eating this. I have my own food. Next time maybe you should ask me first." Is that rude? Yes, maybe. But I have dietary restrictions due to allergies anyway. And there comes a point where sometimes you have to be blunt with people, even if they have the best of intentions.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've actually gotten people at work to join MFP and get FitBits because I got questions when I first started my part time job about what I was doing when I was logging. Once I explained what I'm doing and why, people were intrigued and not judgey at all (for the most part. There's always one... *eyeroll).

You need to do what's right for you. If BBQ and all the trimmings isn't something you're comfortable eating yet, then don't, but don't be afraid to say yes once in a while if you can allow for the calories. I wasn't to begin with, but I've been able to get to the point where I am more comfortable with culinary curveballs. The dessert bake-off last month was a good one, for example. Or, take in healthier options for everyone to try! You've got this!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen as well because one of my coworkers is somehow convinced I'm anorexic and have an eating disorder. I don't. And quite frankly it's reached the point where her harassment over the topic has been reported to HR for bullying.

When she's brought food and put it in front of me and "told me to eat", I've just flat out given it back to her and not eaten it. I'll say something along the lines of "I appreciate the gesture, but I'm not interested in eating this. I have my own food. Next time maybe you should ask me first." Is that rude? Yes, maybe. But I have dietary restrictions due to allergies anyway. And there comes a point where sometimes you have to be blunt with people, even if they have the best of intentions.

Allergies, smalllergies- You're a freaking adult who is allowed to eat how you want! You could have no dietary restrictions and be 100% in the right to say no. Good for you for not putting up with it.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would tell him "Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I just had a doctor's appointment and my doctor has said I need to cut out fatty, and unhealthy foods"
  • amandalynnesmith
    Options
    If you are not hungry and truly don't want it, then refrigerate it. Get it out of sight and out of your smelling range.

If you do actually want the food, then scoop out a normal portion into a bowl from the kitchen and enjoy it.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Allergies, smalllergies- You're a freaking adult who is allowed to eat how you want! You could have no dietary restrictions and be 100% in the right to say no. Good for you for not putting up with it.

I agree. I shouldn't have to justify myself beyond saying "thanks but no thanks". Except when this person is a senior colleague, sometimes it's easier just to keep the peace rather than stirring the pot too much. And believe me - I like to stir the pot :P
  • LuckySe7en
    Options

I agree. I shouldn't have to justify myself beyond saying "thanks but no thanks". Except when this person is a senior colleague, sometimes it's easier just to keep the peace rather than stirring the pot too much. And believe me - I like to stir the pot :P

Exactly this. Sometimes people are trying to be nice but don't realize that the seniority can put pressure on you even if they don't mean it. I don't like when people try to force things on me, especially regarding food. I try to keep temptation as far as possible at this point, because in the beginning it is not always easy to say no when people put something in front of you. Food addiction is real, regardless of whether people believe so. A newly recovering alcoholic would not appreciate the pressure for a drink, the same way I would not appreciate the pressure for food.
  • katescountdown
    katescountdown Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Both your co-workers and more importantly you will respect you more if you stick to your guns, especially when the results start showing. Stay strong :) You can do it!
  • Keris007
    Keris007 Posts: 6
    Options
    Maybe tell them a white lie and say you've developed allergies and have to be very careful with food! Might make people think before tempting you. I find in my office that the people who say they are dieting are tempted by others keep bringing cakes in, I firmly believe the only bring the cakes in so the dieters fail!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Tell him please don't waste your money, I'm just going to throw it away! If he chooses not to believe you and buys you food anyway, oh well that's his loss! I suspect though if you do this a few times he will stop wasting his money.
  • ironfitclub
    ironfitclub Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My office is always having potlucks and people LOVE to bring donuts and goodies. I just say no thanks....I'm on a mission. It was hard at first and kinda felt bad about hurting their feelings but hey, you gotta do whats best for you ya know?

Then there have been a few times where I'd just take a bite of it in from of them to tell them how wonderful it tastes then escape off to a bathroom trashcan and throw the rest away (i hope none of them are reading this now) lol. One of my favorite quotes are, "Don't give up on something you want most, for something you want now." Live by that!
  • LuckySe7en
    Options
    I feel your pain! My office is always having potlucks and people LOVE to bring donuts and goodies. I just say no thanks....I'm on a mission. It was hard at first and kinda felt bad about hurting their feelings but hey, you gotta do whats best for you ya know?

Then there have been a few times where I'd just take a bite of it in from of them to tell them how wonderful it tastes then escape off to a bathroom trashcan and throw the rest away (i hope none of them are reading this now) lol. One of my favorite quotes are, "Don't give up on something you want most, for something you want now." Live by that!

That's actually a great quote! :drinker: I always need some reminding. I've been good at not overeating or snacking on stuff in moderation. The difference with an actual meal is that I have eyes-bigger-than-my-stomach syndrome. It'll take some getting used to but hopefully people around the office will start to respect my decisions.
  • buttercup68110
    buttercup68110 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have that some problem at my job. I made the mistake of letting them know that I am dieting and now everyone is telling me that I should count my calories. What exercise I need to be doing. Because for some reason they think they are doctors and nutritionists. They always tell me what they are eating and rub it in. They go as far as putting the food in my face and tell me what I am missing. There is always food everywhere including six vending machines and four pop machines. We also have cookouts and food vendors come everyday. None of this includes healthy food at all. It sucks but I just stick to my guns and tell them thanks for the advice and bring my own food. I always have celery and carrots around me. I think about my kids and how I am doing this for them. I picture the skinny body that I am determined to have. When every someone gives me food I give it to someone else. Someone usually forgets their lunch so I give it to them.
  • onedayatatime410
    onedayatatime410 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!

Things like this make you have to choose between not being weird and sticking to what you have set out to do. Sometimes I plan for things like desserts but for the almost part (lol), I reject things from others that I know are triggers. For me, salt is a huge trigger. I like chips, pretzels, popcorn... the like. And my co-workers eat them in mass quantities lol.

However, if you indicate that you don't normally partake in eating outside of your self-set plan, you'll see less and less temptation from others. Sometimes people need to hear it straight up to know how serious you are. More importantly, don't let someone else determine the breaking point of your will. If you want Chipotle, McDonalds, Wendy's, whatever, make sure you indulge on YOUR terms. You deserve that power as we all do on this journey.