Healthy portable snack ideas?

Options
MissMegannLee
MissMegannLee Posts: 226 Member
Does anyone have any recipes for snack options that don't need to be refrigerated? I have a trip coming up soon and I'll be on a bus for an entire day minus the fast food stops and I don't want to grab a burger or something from a fast food chain.

Also, if anyone wants to add me, that would be cool! I'm looking for more friends and motivation as well as support.

Replies

• pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try Special K cracker chips, grapes, granola bars. If you do have to stop for fast food just get something lower in calories or a kids meal. Smaller portion but still an ok meal. Im sure there are more options out there just the things that came to mind!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    When I take long bus journeys (I pretty regularly do journeys that are 9-10 hours) I usually take with me 2-3 handfuls of pistachio nuts, a sandwich (pre-made at home it's not an issue for it not to be refrigerated), plenty of water and also 1-2 snack bars of some kind. Special K bars or something similar.
    This tides me over if it's a journey in the middle of my day and I wont be sleeping for it. If I'll be sleeping then I tend to just take a snack bar and some nuts, maybe a chocolate bar if I want to treat myself :wink:

It's also good to take one piece of fruit for you. I find this great for when I am travelling over night as it fills me up until I get to my destination for a real breakfast without using a lot of calories.
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Veggie slices
    100 calorie packs (There's tons of different kinds)
    An apple
    Mixed nuts with low salt
    Club or ritz crackers
    Graham crackers
    Fiber One brownies
    Dry cereal
    Trail mix or chex mix
    Dried fruit - I don't care much for it if its dehydrated, freeze dried tastes better to me

Had to edit to add- Make sure you are taking the serving size listed on the container. 2 cracker sheets is one serving of graham crackers.
  • know1seep
    know1seep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    granola bars are very high in sugar and calories, and not so healthy. raw veggie sticks, ryvitas, a sliced hard boiled egg, hummus, fruit
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    One of those tuna fish vacuum packs -- you can get a garden salad (no dressing) at the fast food place & mix in your tuna pack.
    Regular fruit is good for snacking: apples, bananas, grapes- just remember to pack some wipes.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    protein bars are always good choice and trail mix. if your going to be walking and exerting yourself make sure you have a good amount of protein plus it will keep you fill.

I take edemame, the frozen ready ones and that way by the time your ready to eat later in the day they are defrosted and cool and that along with freezing a bottle of water to have as an ice pack to keep food cool and that way you can take cheese sticks, sandwich, fruit, veggie, etc. then as the ice melts you have cold water (for me unless its a snack I like my food to be cool)
  • MissMegannLee
    MissMegannLee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas! Thanks everyone for helping out. :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    100 calerie snack packs
    fruits
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    FitFunFabulousNicole Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Zip Lock Baggies are my friends :) I never leave the house or go on a trip with out a few baggies in my purse.
    I usually make them anywhere from 100-160 calories. You can pack raw almonds, beef jerky, apple chips, air-popped popcorn....your possibilities are endless :) have fun!
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    One of those tuna fish vacuum packs -- you can get a garden salad (no dressing) at the fast food place & mix in your tuna pack.

Or I like to mix a relish pack right into the tuna bag and eat with wasa crackers. Fiber one bars are always in the car also.
  • sharondbosley
    Options
    grab a bag or dried cranberries, a bag of sunflower seeds, peanuts, nutrigrain bars, fruit, or raw veggies, like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery & peanut butter.
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Love 1C of cherios or some other cerial I am adicted too. I do not use milk so it helps with the munchies.
    100 cap packs
    unsalted crackers
    dry roasted unsalted almonds
    raisins
  • Tsmummy
    Tsmummy Posts: 1
    Options
    i freeze water bottles/low calorie drinks and put them in with my food so then they are kept cool and i have a cold drink later on in the afternoon
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Please do not take tuna fish on a long bus ride. Your seat mates will kill you.

PB&J, apples, string cheese, crackers, nuts = not offensive.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    add me chickie!

i fuxx with almonds, raisins, mixed nuts, cashews, calcium bars, balh bla bla.. lol
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! Love the tip about keeping a Ziploc baggy (or 2 or 3) with healthy snacks in your purse often. I'm going to have to start doing that!
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Plain popcorn (50 cals per bag)
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love Fiber One brownies!!! 90 calories yummy :)
  • okiebug27
    okiebug27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump