This is possibly the silliest question ever..

Options

Replies

• tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    for the comment abbove, thank you! and that does help. i use to eat "ski" thinking that was healthy, every one says greek yogurt is grose but i love it!

Chloe. are you saying you are right and the website is wrong?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What in the hell is happening in this thread? Can someone translate and/or explain what the questions are?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    for the comment abbove, thank you! and that does help. i use to eat "ski" thinking that was healthy, every one says greek yogurt is grose but i love it!

Chloe. are you saying you are right and the website is wrong?

I don't know what's up with Chloe but the website is correct. Kj/4.2 = calories. Stick with that and be aware of your food choices an I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    What in the hell is happening in this thread? Can someone translate and/or explain what the questions are?

I think the problem might be the difference in terminology....I have no clue where the swag comes in though.
  • tessi1993
    Options
    haha sorry guys!

the point of the thread is im from australia, and they have calories as KJ so there not listed on foods and i was so confused, which now im not! haha.

if you could check my food for today and give me some tips that would be awesome!

and i have no idea whats going on with chloe and her "swag".....
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    haha sorry guys!

the point of the thread is im from australia, and they have calories as KJ so there not listed on foods and i was so confused, which now im not! haha.

if you could check my food for today and give me some tips that would be awesome!

hmm, they don't put in calories in Kangaroo land? Mind you, it "might" say kilo calories (The correct term I believe). I know in most Asian countries they do put in both. You can always google it (I googled "how many calories = joules" and got the result of 1 joule = 0.239005736 calories

As for the swag... I think you know the answer. Anyone using the word swag while using a fake pic from the interwebs has lots of issues

ETA: NOT the silliest question. I've seen many that would qualify. Your question is not even in the top 1,000
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Think someones smoking pot and i'm not talking about the OP at he made sense.
  • tessi1993
    Options
    haha sorry guys!

hmm, they don't put in calories in Kangaroo land? Mind you, it "might" say kilo calories (The correct term I believe). I know in most Asian countries they do put in both. You can always google it (I googled "how many calories = joules" and got the result of 1 joule = 0.239005736 calories

As for the swag... I think you know the answer. Anyone using the word swag while using a fake pic from the interwebs has lots of issues

ETA: NOT the silliest question. I've seen many that would qualify. Your question is not even in the top 1,000

thank you!
    no they dont it says (KJs) thats why i was so confused! thank you
  • tessi1993
    Options

the OP? say whhhat?
    is this meant to be to me...
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ucm_300131_zps84f63047.jpg

Start here. Note the size of a single serving and how many servings are in the package.

Check total calories per serving. Look at the serving size and how many servings you’re really consuming. If you double the servings you eat, you double the calories and nutrients, including the Percent Daily Value (% DV).

Limit these nutrients. Remember, you need to limit your total fat to no more than 56–78 grams a day — including no more than 16 grams of saturated fat, less than two grams of trans fat, and less than 300 mg cholesterol (for a 2,000 calorie diet).

Get enough of these nutrients. Make sure you get 100 percent of the fiber, vitamins and other nutrients you need every day.

Quick guide to % DV. The % DV section tells you the percent of each nutrient in a single serving, in terms of the daily recommended amount. As a guide, if you want to consume less of a nutrient (such as saturated fat, cholesterol or sodium), choose foods with a lower % DV — 5 percent or less is low. If you want to consume more of a nutrient (such as fiber), seek foods with a higher % DV — 20 percent or more is high.

Here are more tips for getting as much health information as possible from the Nutrition Facts label:

Remember that the information shown in these panels is based on 2,000 calories a day. You may need to consume less or more than 2,000 calories depending upon your age, gender, activity level, and whether you’re trying to lose, gain or maintain your weight. Find out your personal daily limits on My Fats Translator.
    In general, as you think about the amount of calories in a food per serving, remember that for a 2,000-calorie diet:
    40 calories per serving is considered low;
    100 calories per serving is considered moderate; and
    400 calories or more per serving is considered high.
    There is no % DV shown for trans fat on the panel because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not have enough scientific information to set this value. We recommend eating less than 20 calories or (less than two grams of trans fat) a day – that’s less than 1 percent of your total daily calories (for a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet).
    When the Nutrition Facts panel says the food contains “0 g” of trans fat, it means the food contains less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving.
    When the Nutrition Facts label says a food contains “0 g” of trans fat, but includes “partially hydrogenated oil” in the ingredient list, it means the food contains trans fat, but less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving. So, if you eat more than one serving, you could quickly reach your daily limit of trans fat.

In addition to the Nutrition Facts label, a lot of foods today also come with nutrient content claims provided by the manufacturer. These claims are typically featured in ads for the foods or in the promotional copy on the food packages themselves. They are strictly defined by the FDA. The chart below provides some of the most commonly used nutrient content claims, along with a detailed description of what the claim means.
  • taunto
    Options
    haha sorry guys!

thank you!
    no they dont it says (KJs) thats why i was so confused! thank you

hmm, well, then I guess google is your only way or try to learn some maths to convert :(

I wonder how the other Aussies on the side do it since I don't think I've heard this issue before. I currently don't have any Aussies on my FL else I'd ask them for you. Regardless, most of the items in the database when you search what you ate should be in calories anyways so I don't think it'll matter. Would just take some getting used to in terms of knowing how many calories an item is before you eat it but you should get there very soon :)

GL mate :)
  • taunto
    Options

the OP? say whhhat?
    is this meant to be to me...

he/she is referring to the person talking about swag
  • tessi1993
    Options
    ucm_300131_zps84f63047.jpg

Start here. Note the size of a single serving and how many servings are in the package.

Check total calories per serving. Look at the serving size and how many servings you’re really consuming. If you double the servings you eat, you double the calories and nutrients, including the Percent Daily Value (% DV).

Limit these nutrients. Remember, you need to limit your total fat to no more than 56–78 grams a day — including no more than 16 grams of saturated fat, less than two grams of trans fat, and less than 300 mg cholesterol (for a 2,000 calorie diet).

Get enough of these nutrients. Make sure you get 100 percent of the fiber, vitamins and other nutrients you need every day.

Quick guide to % DV. The % DV section tells you the percent of each nutrient in a single serving, in terms of the daily recommended amount. As a guide, if you want to consume less of a nutrient (such as saturated fat, cholesterol or sodium), choose foods with a lower % DV — 5 percent or less is low. If you want to consume more of a nutrient (such as fiber), seek foods with a higher % DV — 20 percent or more is high.

Here are more tips for getting as much health information as possible from the Nutrition Facts label:

Remember that the information shown in these panels is based on 2,000 calories a day. You may need to consume less or more than 2,000 calories depending upon your age, gender, activity level, and whether you’re trying to lose, gain or maintain your weight. Find out your personal daily limits on My Fats Translator.
    In general, as you think about the amount of calories in a food per serving, remember that for a 2,000-calorie diet:
    40 calories per serving is considered low;
    100 calories per serving is considered moderate; and
    400 calories or more per serving is considered high.
    There is no % DV shown for trans fat on the panel because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not have enough scientific information to set this value. We recommend eating less than 20 calories or (less than two grams of trans fat) a day – that’s less than 1 percent of your total daily calories (for a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet).
    When the Nutrition Facts panel says the food contains “0 g” of trans fat, it means the food contains less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving.
    When the Nutrition Facts label says a food contains “0 g” of trans fat, but includes “partially hydrogenated oil” in the ingredient list, it means the food contains trans fat, but less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving. So, if you eat more than one serving, you could quickly reach your daily limit of trans fat.

In addition to the Nutrition Facts label, a lot of foods today also come with nutrient content claims provided by the manufacturer. These claims are typically featured in ads for the foods or in the promotional copy on the food packages themselves. They are strictly defined by the FDA. The chart below provides some of the most commonly used nutrient content claims, along with a detailed description of what the claim means.

thanks for the info! your great, but what im saying is its barly written on it in australia i just downloaded a converter app :D
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Haha this guy. I couldn't give a **** what they think about my meal. Most of the people on this site need their moms to cook their meals or if they could cook, the only thing they could cook up is a steak with a potateo. I might not be rolling in money but I got unlimited stacks of swag and creativity. Been living on my own since I was 16 years old doing part-time while in school. I'm 19 now and 99% of this forum wouldn't even know the start of struggle. Me, I earned my swag and learned how to do things on my own. They talk **** like they could do better when in reality, they wouldn't even know how to turn on a damn microwave. Haha suckas

This thread just gets stranger and stranger.

Uuuuuh, yeah, what's going on in here? :laugh:
  • tessi1993
    Options
    so i got an app which converts KJS to calories :)
    the only thing is food diary on here is saying 2 slices of bread (multigrain) is 233 calories!!!
    should i cut bread out? or not eat as much?
  • mop680
    mop680 Posts: 1
    Options
    it depends on the size of the packet. Look how many grams or whatever it says on the item then check which figure is correct for the size of it.
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie too and also use an online converter to make sure the calories recorded here in MFP are the same as what's on the packet. Also, if you're using an iPhone like I do, you can scan the item in when logging your food. Just a thought. Some of the items, like Red Bull for example, show several different options but one says "Australia" afterwards....usually someone has already done the converting for you in these ones but I check anyway :)
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    it has the energy? is that the same thing?

All your base are belong to meeeee.....!
  • taunto
    Options
    so i got an app which converts KJS to calories :)
    the only thing is food diary on here is saying 2 slices of bread (multigrain) is 233 calories!!!
    should i cut bread out? or not eat as much?

Eat whatever you like, just keep it under the calories you're setting. In the begining don't worry about anything else except how many calories you're eating. Earn as you move along, slowly, about macros etc. This thread might be of some help. Also a great group if you wanna join in. Read their stickies

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Your opening post made sense to me - but I am Kiwi and new to this nutritional kick thing so maybe that is why.

The colourful image above is really useful though it is based on US information.

The % you see is the percentage of your daily intake for 1 serving of whatever if your daily intake is 8700 kj.

The nasty trick is most packets seem to be more than on serving. They are often random amounts like 1.3 servings or 2 servings.

Search foods on here and use either AUS or NZ to help find brands that are familiar to you and using metric measurements.