60 minutes of cardio leads to increased appetite...what to d

Options
I'm trying to figure something out.

When I do an hour of cardio, I feel like I have to eat the entire house in the evening time. I do drink plenty of water.

When I do 30 minutes of cardio, I don't have the urge. Of course 30 minutes is barely a sweat and a serouis reduction of calories burned.

So I guess my question would be:
Is doing 30-45 minutes of cardio a day better than doing 60 minutes and eating more calories? My goal is weight loss.

Replies

• ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. I would love to know what others do to help this too.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Eat a protein bar or shake, it will help anyway to recover from the workout and I find them very filling too
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i agree, eat a protein bar

also, have you ever broken up your workouts? maybe 30 minutes in the morning and 30 later in the day?
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    protein bars are good - shakes are great for recovery and to stave off the hunger - also the best recovery drink ever is some good organic of skim chocolate milk - sounds weird but it really works
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If your calories eaten after workout do NOT exceed what you would have eaten minus the workout, I would say work out. (i.e. 1300 calories without workout, 1500 with a 200 calorie burn workout). It is better for your overall health to get your body moving, AND you're going to build muscle when you work out, and more muscle means more calories needed to support that, which means more calories burned during a given day. BUT, if you feel like you have to eat 500 calories after a 200 calorie workout, it obviously is not worth it.

Also, remember the more you work out, the more muscle you will build, and muscle weighs more than fat. So don't ONLY depend on the scale if you're doing any type of strengthening, go by measurements, or body fat (if you have a decend body fat analyzer).

Other than those tips, I agree with everyone else, eat a protien dense food after working out, it will make you feel fuller, plus you need to replenish protien after working out anyway.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    You may be depleting your glycogen stores. So, you may need some simple carbs after your workout. These can come in powder etc like the protein shakes, but some rice or a potato (simple carbs) could help you post workout. "They" say that carbs are the enemy, sure, but you still need to balance out your body.
    Simple carbs after a workout are perfectly acceptable - preferably ones that are high in the glysemic index (is probably the only time you should eat these). Carbs before a workout, if fatloss is your goal, is where it may not be such a good idea. When working out (the hour cardio) your body will use any available carbs before tapping into your stores - that's why it's not always a good idea to have carbs prior to working out - because your body will use those first. But afterwards ? Absolutely yes, you may need to boost your levels back up again to help prevent fatigue and that crazy need to eat. Immediately after working out, is often the only time it's best to eat the fast dissolving simple carbs . Doesn't mean it should be cookies and junk, just needs to be something your body can use fast to replenish your glycogen levels in your blood rapidly.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree with oats4breakfast. So maybe a protien shake with some frozen fruit or something. Let us know!
  • sippy01
    sippy01 Posts: 20
    Options
    I love your Bible verse, it is perfect for what we are trying to do, losing weight is such a burden!! Thanks for the encouragement!
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    How long have you been exercising? I found when I stared I felt that way but not any more. Well, until I started a hour of swimming 2x a week. The first 2 weeks I came home and had a second dinner! Well, we ate lightly before hand (the class is at 6:45pm) and then ate more when we got home - my husband it doing it too. But after 2 weeks I only need a light snack now instead of a whole meal!!

I find a slice of whole wheat bread and some chunky peanut butter ties me over.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising 4 out of the last 6 years --- currently 3 years.

My routine used to be come home from work at 6, eat something reasonable to avoid bloating, go to the gym at about 8pm, stay for an hour, go home, shower, and before you know it it's bed time. I didn't have any hunger that way.

The last year I'm in this routine where I have a mid-afternoon snack, go straight to the gym after work, and I get home/showered by about 8pm. Now I have 3-4 hours to kill. I tend to burn 800 calories in the hour and I go home and eat about 1200 in addition to the 1500 I eat for breakfast/lunch/snack. This means I'm netting about 1900 on days I do cardio (about 5 days a week).

I may just have to go back to my prevouis routine of late night gym work. That would probably net me 1200.