Drinking Alcohol

Options
jqh23
jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
Drinking is one of my weight loss pitfalls. I am a busy mom and enjoy my wine and beer at the end of a long day. I know in order to continue on a steady path, I really need to get it in check and reserve it for special occasions and not every friday & saturday night. I have my cousin's 30th birthday coming up and want some tips on the best things to drink to keep my calories low. I am not a vodka person and allergic to orange & pineapple juices.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    There are no "good" alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight. However, like you have already hinted at, moderation is the key. A drink here or there isn't going to hurt you.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-can-you-booze-it-and-still-lose-it.html

I'd say drink what you like, but like you said, keep it to special occasions and limit it to 1-2 drinks.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Stick to wine or a spritzer or light beer if you like it. Or something like Jack and Diet Coke, limiting yourself to 2 drinks for special occasions. It's ok to go over your calories here and there, but just don't make it a habit. I like to have a glass of wine with dinner on the weekends, but right now, actively trying to cut, I only do so if it fits my calories. On maintenance, I might let myself splurge and go over once a week.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    hard liquor and diet sodas are your best bet for least caloric impact. a shot of rum is around 60-80 calls/oz
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I will politely disagree with the "no good alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight" theory.

I've lost 12 pounds so far, all while drinking a glass or two of red wine a night. On the weekends, I might even enjoy a martini or some bourbon. As long as I stay within my calorie goals for the day, I'm good.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Shots baby.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    For lowest calorie intake, you have to stick to hard liquor....NO DIET SODA (that stuff is crap that you should eradicate from your life!), use club soda for a mixer and fresh lemon/lime.
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My go to cocktail is vodka with a splash of Roses Lime Juice. If I have the extra calories, I will use a cherry vodka. Vodka is about 60 cals and a splash of Roses goes a LONG way since it's concentrated. No more than a tablespoon can do the trick. Make sure to order it with a water back and you're golden! (and buzzed because technically its straight alcohol) lol

From the lushy fit chick lol
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Oh, my go to is vodka, 3/4 club soda and 1/4 either cranberry or lime juice. But really any low cal juice would likley work.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    shots, or if you wanna just have your wine or beer, just limit yourself to one or two and work it into your goals. I have never kid myself by saying im gonna stop drinking, thats just a joke. You deserve to enjoy it when you want to!
  • jqh23
    Options
    For lowest calorie intake, you have to stick to hard liquor....NO DIET SODA (that stuff is crap that you should eradicate from your life!), use club soda for a mixer and fresh lemon/lime.
    Does the lime/lemon cut out the bitterness of club soda? Not a huge fan of it but this is interesting to me..
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try to abstain completely for the best results. Its not that hard-just a matter of mental determination. If you absolutley have to have a drink then follow the advice others have given. I am a beer guy and really dont care for spirits very much. Its still kind fof an all or nothing proposition. I have a very hard time limiting myself to 2 beers. FWIW--Amstel and Guinness are pretty low in calories as far as beers go.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Two of my girlfriends and I took an alcohol abstinence pact. We are on Day 24 today and I can honestly tell you it caused me to take a long hard look at the behavior I was permitting (the end-of-the-rough-day glass of wine... or two...).

After just the first weekend, I really didn't even think too much about drinking, except when playfully joking with friends that I can't wait for that first beer.

In case this provides any perspective, in just 28 days, I will have saved

125 calories per glass
    x 28 days
    3500 calories 'saved' in one month

$15 per bottle
    x 3 bottles per week
    $180 saved in one month

I also found some surprising side-effects, like vastly increased productivity in the evenings. Instead of sitting down to unwind with a glass (or two...) of wine each evening, I keep moving right up till bedtime. Spring cleaning gets done during the week, instead sucking up weekend time. Of course, I also sleep much better, am losing weight faster, feel 100% for every morning workout, etc. After that first week of GOD I WANT SOME WINE there have really only been benefits.

I would encourage everyone, even the casual/social drinkers out there, to stop completely for one month. It might shed light on a more complicated relationship with alcohol. And at the very worst, it can't hurt your wellness routine.

Give it a shot. (Food for thought: If you *can't* then you might really have a problem.)
  • jqh23
    Options
    My go to cocktail is vodka with a splash of Roses Lime Juice. If I have the extra calories, I will use a cherry vodka. Vodka is about 60 cals and a splash of Roses goes a LONG way since it's concentrated. No more than a tablespoon can do the trick. Make sure to order it with a water back and you're golden! (and buzzed because technically its straight alcohol) lol

I am not a pleasant person on Vodka, but will try this with some rum. Is Roses Lime Juice something that is commonly available?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Cut your calories a few days before and bank those for the party.

Drink light beer which is about 100 cals. If you want more of a punch, drink white wine but dilute it with ice cubes. Remember: dilution is the solution when it comes to feeling good the next day.

The best beer for the punch is Bud Light Platinum which has 137 cals but hits you like a glass of wine.
  • checkk91
    checkk91 Posts: 1
    Options
    Light beer is the way to go, if it is absolutely necessary to drink. You will still need to make sure you get your macro's in check, not including the carbs from the alcohol, otherwise you're weight loss will come from muscle loss.

Anyways,
    Beck's Light has 64 calories and 3.9 grams of carbs
    Milwaukee's Best Light has 98 calories and 3.5 carbs and is 4.5% abv
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    There are no "good" alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight. However, like you have already hinted at, moderation is the key. A drink here or there isn't going to hurt you.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-can-you-booze-it-and-still-lose-it.html

I'd say drink what you like, but like you said, keep it to special occasions and limit it to 1-2 drinks.

I would have to disagree here, I still drink beer on a regular basis, I get lower cal, but still have it regularily, and usually on Saturday evenings I'm at some pub watching some sort of sporting event where I also indulge. Generally I make sure that I have had a great workout and have the calories, but hey, that's just me. And I'm losing at a steady reasonable rate.
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    every once in a while indulge but on other days...use your wine glass or beer mug and fill it with sparkling tea or water and sip it as if it were your beloved wine!!! 0 calories, but the brain enjoys the idea that you are drinking !!!!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I am not a pleasant person on Vodka, but will try this with some rum. Is Roses Lime Juice something that is commonly available?

Isn't that a vodka gimlet? Yummy but potent. You'll finish it quickly because it comes in small glasses so consider that too.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Take a look at this:

Awesome article! Always interesting to learn how bodies process different things.

My suggestion is red wine or hard alcohol with a diet soft drink [jack and diet coke or gin and diet tonic]. No matter what you drink you'll still get some empty calories so just enjoy it and stick to 1-2 drinks.

One skill I've been working on is holding my drink and not drinking it, deceptively hard after so many years of training myself to drink as fast as possible :P The bonus is you stay relatively sober, which I always prefer when I'm around a group of people drinking.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I will politely disagree with the "no good alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight" theory.

I've lost 12 pounds so far, all while drinking a glass or two of red wine a night. On the weekends, I might even enjoy a martini or some bourbon. As long as I stay within my calorie goals for the day, I'm good.

Cheers! :drinker:

That is great, and your results are exactly what I was speaking to as far as moderation goes and weight loss is all about in vs out.

However, it is pretty well documented that alcohol slows fat oxidation. So, what I was trying to convey is that there isn't a magic alcoholic drink that doesn't affect weight loss at all. Additionally, (obviously not an issue with you) for a lot of people 1 drink turns into 5 and a giant plate of cheese fries!

At any rate, I am a big believer in eating what you like and just being moderate and staying within calorie limits. Otherwise, you feel like you are getting cheated!