Success with exercise and little dieting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have to figure out how to post pics, but I went from 244 pounds to my current weight of 197 in 14 months. The first 10 months I didn't really do a lot of exercise just tried to eat better counting all my calories...I only lost 20 pounds those first 10 months . I stopped tracking calories (just kept portions smaller) and increased my time at the gym with both cardio and weights...that is when I lost 27 pounds in just 4 months! I don't have to stress out about going to a family BBQ and just eating a salad, I eat the burger and chips too! But I remind myself how hard I have worked to get this far and I can stop myself at one (actual) serving size. By the way...it is good to educate yourself on serving sizes of all your favorite foods. People tend to be surprised what a real serving size it. Good luck...you can do it!
    Also, don't just count on the scale to show your progress...Take your measurements! The month of April 2013 I didn't lose a single pound but my measurements showed I had lost 6 inches!
  • ddzubow
    ddzubow Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25 lbs in 3 months with consistent exercise and a "normal" diet. Like you, I've cut out a lot of junk food and snacking, but I will continue to enjoy my daily meals. I just make sure to make healthier substitutions where I can without losing out on taste because I LOVE food. I also make sure to keep to the my daily calorie goals.

fc2z36.jpg
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Nice work man! Huge difference in that small space of time!
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Five years ago I started losing weight by spending 30 minutes a day on the elliptical or treadmill during the work week on my lunch time. The only change I made to my diet was cutting out sodas, but didn't otherwise track my food intake. I was successful in losing 20 lbs, but the weight loss was slow. I was losing about 1 lb per month until life got in the way and I didn't have time to take lunches anymore so I stopped exercising. So, it can definitely be done but I think you'll need more patience than if you did both exercise and track your calories.

This time around it took me four months to lose those same 20 lbs by exercising 20-30 minutes a day and using MFP to track my calories. I don't really feel like I'm dieting, I eat enough to not be hungry and I still include some snacks. I'm just a lot more mindful to not eat when I'm not actually hungry these days.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I dunno, abs are 90% from the kitchen.. I don't consider my current eating as a diet but more so mindful. I have an occasional can of soda (when I have a Jack & Coke), eat popcorn (air popped), chocolate cake (using black beans instead of flour, believe it or not it's just as tasty), etc,. I still eat out some nights when I work, I just find alternatives.. my main focus is on my macros because I do strength training. Not everyone will have the same goals but this is what I've done the way I do it.

Started Jan 1 @ 181.5lbs, 32% BF (Day 1) Size 16 US/CAN
    Currently @ 166.5, 22.5% BF (Day 128) Size 6 US/CAN

b4028c2eb76111e2bd6422000a9f12df_7.jpg
  • taytay9955
    taytay9955 Posts: 23
    Options
    For me it is 70% about what I am eating and about 30% what i do in the gym. I can go to the gym 7 hours a week and I can eat healthy and not lose but if I cut calories the weight comes off. If I drink alcohol I gain weight like crazy. But I also don't have a lot of mussel mass.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!