Glad I found this site =)

Options
Actually a co-worker referred me to this site. But I am just as grateful. This is my first day on this site and I see a lot of encouragement available here and that is exactly what I need. I just started exercising again after a few years, but the new eating habits is so hard! I LOVE food! I haven't been able to establish them yet. It was so easy putting this weight on, but I never imagined it would be so hard to take it off. But if you'd like, add me as your friend and we can encourage each other.

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    :smile: Welcome! I've found that the first week or two is the hardest. You can do it!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Hope you are having a good day. You won't find this much encouragement anywhere else. It's so cool. If I'm feeling tempted, I either come here or do something to help me get my mind off of food. God bless you are on weight loss journey!

:smile:
  • ItsSonia
    ItsSonia Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. The worst thing is I'm a very unmotivated and inexperienced cook. When i would like to eat healthier, I have no idea how. But I've noticed a recipe forum on here too that I'll have to check out. But I'm so excited for this, I don't think I"ve been more ready for anything else in my life, and I know it wont be easy.
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    Welcome! :-)

I too am new to the site, I joined about a month ago. I LOVE IT! It is so cool to see the calories in versus the calories out, when you exercise. There are so many great people and great recipes. Start with something simple, not too many ingredients. Grill or broil instead of fry, cut down on your fats and oils. You can do it! Rocco DiSpirito has a new cookbook out that is American comfort food, but greatly reduced in calories. He even has desserts! Check it out at your library, see if it works for you. :wink:
  • HeartHappy
    Options
    Hi ItsSonia! Check out Fitwise! She'll give you some great tips and support on staying on a plan... this website is amazing. I've only just joined myself but I think there is a huge benefit to having a huge support base, plus I think it's great to be able to view others profiles and food diaries to get ideas on different food choices!! I would love to be your friend and moral support, the more people the better!! Right :-) Good luck you can do it!!!!!
  • ItsSonia
    Options
    Thanks, these are great suggestions! Another hard ting for me to do is I JUST STARTED eating vegetables regularly. A 5yr old would probably eat more viggies than me, but then again, hopefully their parents require them to. I just plain dislike almost all veggies so I'd eat more of the *bad* stuff in substitution. But yes, that's another thing I'm working hard on changing. Now I found out that not all veggies and fruits are that good for you! *sighs*
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm so excited to see you here!

This is another great website:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Have fun!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ... Now I found out that not all veggies and fruits are that good for you! *sighs*

You might want to explain what you mean, since this statement sounds like you might need some education in regard to fruits and veggies.

For the moment, I will assume that your favorite veggies are corn and potatoes--unfortunately not the best choice in large quantities, but both have good things in them, just in moderation. Some people have the misguided idea that fruit is "bad" because it has sugar in it. All sugar is not created equal, however, and the sugars you ingest from fruit are much better for you than table sugar.

Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
  • ItsSonia
    Options
    thnx and yes! you assumed correctly! potatoes and corn, especially corn on the cob! lol,ya not the best choice when trying to make healthier choices. I do need a lot of education, I actually thought all fresh veggies and fruits were good for you!
  • greenteadaily
    Options
    thnx and yes! you assumed correctly! potatoes and corn, especially corn on the cob! lol,ya not the best choice when trying to make healthier choices. I do need a lot of education, I actually thought all fresh veggies and fruits were good for you!

Better for you than some things, not as good as others.

---

I just started here a few days ago and started BACK eating well. I found it immensely helpful that today was the first time since Wednesday that I left the house. :shock: (A teacher enjoying the last couple weeks of vacation.) Temptations 'out there' are a lot harder to resist than at home, as long as home is well stocked (which also isn't always the case, but it is now.)
  • ItsSonia
    Options
    I guess not, but I guess all cant be bad when eating in moderation. or smothered in butter neither =)