He's gonna make me muscle freak! :'(

Options
haha okay, so i have a personala trainer now! I'm so happy!! But i'm a little scared..

I always believed to burn fat, it was always about the cardio.

run, run, run, skip, jog, cycle, run, run, run!

and thats what I did for years with little or no results..so i'm kind of excited that there might be another option....

The personal trainer said if i build muscle it will burn the fat right off...But i'm scared of muscles :(

I always did a little strength training...but that was never my main focus in the past.

I keep picturing myself either still fat with muscle...or a giant walking muscle...

Has any other guys bulked up to burn fat? Does it really work?

Calm my fears please :(

Replies

• diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you will never look too muscular even if you trained with 100% efficiency for the next 30 years.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    But i'm scared of muscles :(

what?

why?
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Muscle helps you burn more calories and makes you look tighter. Trust me :)
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you will never look too muscular even if you trained with 100% efficiency for the next 30 years.

^^ This. Your personal trainer is right. Muscle burns more calories than fat. Even if you do get a layer of muscle under the fat, it will be easier to lose with all the muscle!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy and some cardio will go a long ways when it comes to weight loss! You'd have to do allot to be Arnold or Jay big!
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do strength training and am seeing great results (the scale isn't moving, but the fat is). You won't get muscle bound (it takes a lot of bulking and cutting to get that way... it doesn't happen overnight). You can do this!!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

quoted for truth.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a more serious weight lifting regiment this summer so I'm there with ya, but a lot of people have said the same to me as Miss Nerdy has said to you. They also told me that I don't need to worry about bulking i iam still eating t a deficit
  • JannaJ02
    JannaJ02 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not only does building muscle help up your metabolism to burn fat, it changes the way your body appears to be shaped and visually redistributes a lot of your mass. I've been working with a trainer since November - I've only dropped 20lbs total on the scale (started with MFP only recently) but have built up a LOT of muscle. It's totally changed the way I look!

Listen to your trainer. He'll steer you right. :)
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I lifted heavy while I lost my weight, and it does work. I did about 30 minutes of cardio, and 1.5hrs of lifting 5 days a week, and lost 260 in about 20 months, and have kept it off now for a year and a half.

I agree with dibelcibo, don't be afraid of muscles. Unless you taking steroids or some other drug, you will never get ridiculously huge. You will on the other hand, get lean and fit, and raise your metabolism!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options

This... as other people have stated.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    One thing you should pay close attention is body fat percentage, versus actual building new muscle to be "freak".

Often, lowering the body fat looks like you are gaining more muscle, since it's just revealing what you have, but in reality they are two entirely different things.

At your weight, you have significant muscle, because you need to carry yourself around. That's not a knock on you, it's to show how strong you are. If you lift as you lose, you want to preserve the muscle you have as much as possible.

As the others say, you can't accidentally bulk up. It takes effort. It's like accidentally being too rich - just stop making money.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    But i'm scared of muscles :(

what?

why?

My exact thought!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hi! I assume you are on a calorie deficit? If so, you will get smaller, not bigger. :smile:
    Since you're a beginner, you might gain some muscle at first, but you'll also be losing fat. And after a while, you'll be losing fat, and just trying to hang on to the muscle you have by lifting.
    If you're body fat % ever gets lower than you'd like (you get too muscley), you can just gain some body fat back by eating a little more. But that would be years down the line most likely. :smile:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always believed to burn fat, it was always about the cardio.

run, run, run, skip, jog, cycle, run, run, run!

and thats what I did for years with little or no results..so i'm kind of excited that there might be another option....

This
    if you have been doing tons of cardio with little results for YEARS, maybe its time to trust and believe there is another way! A better way vs hours of endless time on the damn treadmill.

Good luck to you!!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I wish I had gotten that advice when I was young!

DO IT!!!!!!

you will actually look SMALLER at heavier weight.

NO one EVER guesses my weight right!

Before...during..and I am 41..YOU sir are going to be amazing!

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_0.jpg
    33110506_7742.jpg
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of studies that indicate that muscle does have a metabolic advantage over fat (a pound of muscle takes more calories to maintain than a pound of fat). In essence, two people who weigh the same but one has more muscle and less fat will burn more calories every day just by living.

Weight training also burns calories both while you workout and while you recover.

However, I don't think it would harm your progress if you lifted with your trainer and added cardio on your own time!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of studies that indicate that muscle does have a metabolic advantage over fat (a pound of muscle takes more calories to maintain than a pound of fat). In essence, two people who weigh the same but one has more muscle and less fat will burn more calories every day just by living.

Weight training also burns calories both while you workout and while you recover.

However, I don't think it would harm your progress if you lifted with your trainer and added cardio on your own time!

agreed..i weight train 3 days, and walk/cardio on the days i dont lift.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I keep picturing myself either still fat with muscle...or a giant walking muscle...
    We all dream of being a giant walking muscle. Still not there yet. I doubt you'll hit that wall any time soon.

Calm my fears please :(
    tumblr_ltcnft91Wu1r3f00oo1_500.jpg
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    "Lifting weights" will not make you a muscle freak. It will do exactly what you want it to do firm you up and enable your body to burn more calories at all times. Build some muscle, do some cardio! Don't be afraid, just keep doing it.
This discussion has been closed.