New help from runners

Options
ktliu
ktliu Posts: 334 Member
I've just recently started back on running, The last time I ran was when i was 13 years old.
After losing more than 25 lbs in weight, I felt like I can run again. I started doing 1-2 miles on the treadmill that's okay, When i transition to pavement it's not the same thing at all. My Achilles tendon has flared up a bit, making it uncomfortable to run. So my question is, how do one transition from treadmill to pavement gracefully.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Perhaps slowing down your pace would help. Or, starting on a trail, then going to pavement. You might also try the treadmill at an incline as it might be the varying inclines outside as opposed to the surface. Also, get in a good warm-up walk on the pavement to get used to it before starting your run.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    1. Warm up before running (maybe a 5 minute walk)
    2. Get fitted for shoes at a running specialty store
    3. Slow down

Honestly, when I made the transition, it just sucked for a couple of weeks. Running outside is harder. I was using my legs in a different way, and I didn't have the treadmill to help move me forward. I just had to get used to it. It got easier, the more I ran outside.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    1. Warm up before running (maybe a 5 minute walk)
    2. Get fitted for shoes at a running specialty store
    3. Slow down

Honestly, when I made the transition, it just sucked for a couple of weeks. Running outside is harder. I was using my legs in a different way, and I didn't have the treadmill to help move me forward. I just had to get used to it. It got easier, the more I ran outside.

this. a few days during the week i run on a treadmill and while it's definitely gotten easier for me to go from treadmill to street there always is a slight adjustment. i try and run all three at least once a week (treadmill, street and trail) this way i get the most bang for my buck in my running (i'm less concerned with time and more concerned with distance right now)
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes and do some stretching before you start. Also take walking breaks if it starts bothering you mid run and start again when you feel ready.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes and do some stretching before you start. Also take walking breaks if it starts bothering you mid run and start again when you feel ready.

Don't cold stretch. That's not a good idea. A warm up walk is all you need.
  • jwestonlee
    jwestonlee Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree with some of the other comments posted here. It's very likely your running shoes. Get a good pair of shoes fitted at a professional running shoe store. They can determine if you have pronation, supination, or some sort of hitch in your form. They will get you into a shoe that corrects the problem. Your achilles will thank you.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Don't cold stretch. That's not a good idea. A warm up walk is all you need.

I agree with all the above. I also second this. DO NOT stretch before you have warmed up. This is the fastest way to injure yourself. The best thing is to do a warm up walk and then slowly start running. Save the stretching for after the run. On some long runs I have had to stop and stretch during the run but never at the beginning.

Another thing I would recommend along with a good pair of shoes from a running store is socks. I was just running this morning with a friend that got new shoes from the running store but forgot to invest in good socks that provide support and also are made of wicking material. Half way through our 5 mile run they had to stop because they had blisters forming. I remember having the same issue when I first started running and soon as I got running socks with arch support I stopped getting blisters.
  • watsdd
    watsdd Posts: 21
    Options
    Make sure you get fitted for good shoes at a real running store so they can test your pronation, etc.