What to do about cravings?

Options
I have been really good today...but i seem to be getting hungry in between meals. :frown: I have been drinking tons of water to try and subside the urge to eat but it doesn't seem to be working!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with these situations? Thank you

Replies

• mamathin
    mamathin Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to chew sugar free gum, a minty mouth makes snacking less appetizing. :smile:
  • Losetheweightnat
    Losetheweightnat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried the gum thing, just makes it worst for me..Lol! try drinking some sweetened water like crystal light, only 5 calories and it helps with my sugar cravings or eatng a piece of fruit, something healthy..If you have drunk and drunk water and still hungry, eat some healthy snacks in between meals. something light in calories but enough to tie you over until the next meal.
  • breannahead
    Options
    Both of those ideas sound like a good idea. I will have to try both and see what works best!

Thank you
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have a snack. I usually eat a piece of cheese or a handful of nuts or trail mix to tide me over if I'm hungry in between meals. Protein bars are good too. I love the Fiber One bars, they usually provide me with my "sweets" fix too.
  • JadeButterfly
    Options
    Roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds can be really filling. I usually only eat about 2 tbsps and I'm good. Fruit is also a great way to beat the munchies. A whole peach, nectarine or unpitted cherries work nicely. I find the work of eating around the pits make the snack last longer and I feel more satisfied. When I eat a cereal bar or a string cheese stick its gone in 2 seconds and I still want more.

Good luck!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Eating a few almonds or a boiled egg usually works for me. Most of the time I'm still hungry when I first get done eating them, but if I give it a little while it will usually satisfy my cravings. Granola bars and fruits are good for when you just gotta have something sweet. :smile:
  • hellokello
    hellokello Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try some sugar-free gum, or some peppermint tea :) Maybe you're not eating the right foods if you're feeling hungry in between meals.Try things like hummus, almonds, or a boiled egg.
  • DianneMoreno
    Options
    banana. 1/2 avacado. almonds. cup of coffee.

of course, not all together...just 1 of those...it's my "OMG im huunnggrrry" list :)
  • meliamom
    meliamom Posts: 23
    Options
    I do some of the following:

- chew gum (mint flavored makes me less hungry compared to fruit flavored)
    - drink tea or make hot chocolate (only 50 cal if you make with water)
    - eat an apple - (apples have tons of fiber and will fill me for a while, but they do have a lot of carbs)
    - eat carrots
    - drink Crystal Light
    - unsalted almonds
    - cheese slice(s)

I usually get really hungry at 3:00, so this usually helps.
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    i munch on baby carrots, raw red peppers, or celery with a dab of p-nut butter
  • LaughItOff
    LaughItOff Posts: 33
    Options
    You really have to get in your head. You've GOT to change your tendency to give in. I struggle each day with this.
    http://doesthisblogmakeuslookfat.com/2010/03/11/your-diet-and-exercise-tendency/
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I like to chew sugar free gum, a minty mouth makes snacking less appetizing. :smile:
    Somehow for me, chewing gum makes me more hungry.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    4C instant tea packets in a cup of water seems to help for me, actually.
  • breannahead
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I think i might try the crystal light idea because of the fact that I am on the road to gastric bypass and after i have surgery i am not allowed to snack so I am trying to break my habit now, even though i know it might take time to break the cycle.
  • sav_c
    sav_c Posts: 14
    Options
    unsalted nuts are a great snack. another is beef jerky. it's not everyone's bag but I was shocked at how low the fat and carb content is.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long (or at least it feels like that some days), but I eat good healthy foods (for the most part) that don't spike my blood sugar and make me crave more and more. That might help you to spread out your calories a bit more and have more mini meals, but also choose your food wisely and don't overload on carbs. They will make you crave more. And if you're going to have carbs, make sure you can balance them out with protein. Cravings are a hard thing to overcome, but all you can do is conquer them one at a time. Get to the root of the craving. If it isn't truly about a particular food, don't fix it with food.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    unsalted nuts are a great snack. another is beef jerky. it's not everyone's bag but I was shocked at how low the fat and carb content is.

I miss beef jerky so much! :sad: It just has WAY too much sodium unfortunately.