questions about p90x

Options
omid990
omid990 Posts: 785 Member
i'm going back to school soon and i was looking for a way to keep up my workouts while i was there so i decided to look into p90x. i've been doing some research on it but there were still a few questions:

1. how much room do you need for the exercises? my apartment is an itty bitty little thing.

2. i have 5 lb free weights. would these be an appropriate substitute for the resistance bands? do i need more than the 5 lb set?

3. are there any substitutes for the pullup bar? i have one but it tends to damage the walls where its installed and i don't think my landlord would be thrilled.

any help is much appreciated!

Replies

• astory21
    astory21 Posts: 1
    Options
    1. I do my p90X workouts in my small living room and it seems to work fine. The trouble I have is sometimes during the yoga or plyo I might miss judge my movement and hit the couch. I use bands instead of the pull up bar and I had to get the Gold's Gym door bands to do the upper body days.

2. As for the free weights I think you might want to try the workout a couple times it will give you a better judgment on the weights you might need. I started out with 5, 8, 10 lbs but changed to bands b/c I got better range of controlled motion.

3. I bought the Gold's Gym door bands because I did not have a metal pole to throw my band over like the p90X video shows.

Good luck
  • rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1. I've seen some YouTube videos of people doing their P90X in as much room as a yoga mat takes up. Most exercises don't take up much room, but some of the kicks during Kenpo X might put your furnishings in jeopardy.

2. You'll want a little more variety in your dumbbell sizes. You ideally want to 'feel it' after 8-10 reps if you're looking to build muscle, or after 12-15 reps for toning. For now, I would suggest going with what you have, and fill in as needed. Don't overlook common household items as potential replacements for weights (a large soup can is one item recommended in the videos)

3. Each pullup video shows one person using bands as an alternative.

Stick with it and you WILL see results!
  • joetrumpet
    Options
    1. I use a space that is about 6 ft. x 8ft. and I can do all of the workouts easily.
    2. The 5lb. dumbells will be ok, for a few things, but the bands are really good for most things. You'll find the bands are a quick and cheap way to get in the game. You can buy them from walmart for around $12.
    3. I use the iron gym pull-up bar which you can buy at walmart for $29 and it doesn't damage my doors. You can also use the bands if you're in a pinch.

P90X is awesome!!! It changed my life. You can read more about my success with it on my blog at www.joetrumpetfitness.com if you're interested. If not, I'll always be here on my fitness pal!
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ill be starting p90x on monday..today we got the videos and looked them over...i think everyone is right..u dont need a huge space. do realize that you are going to devote an hour to an hour and a half each day!

im going to start with the 5lb dumbells and see how i feel...i do have 10s and will be buy ing more if need be.
    i just ordered a chin up bar at walmart.com for like 36 bucks and it came with free shipping. but i also go the resistance band with the door piece for only $15 on walmarts website.

im just waiting for everything to arrive so we can start.