All Veggies, No carbs, Still No Weight Loss...?

JadeButterfly
JadeButterfly Posts: 8
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I'm vegetarian - fish, seafood, eggs only - and have cut out breads, pastas, chips etc. I have also stopped with all processed sugars, anything with preservatives or MSG and most processed foods. I have not done this due to moral or ethical reasons, but simply because they make me extremely ill and give me massive 3 day migraines. It makes a huge difference with your calories, but I still feel full at the end of the day and rarely (after the sugar cravings passed) feel cheated as long as I stuff myself with veggies and fruits.

So.....i try to cook my veggies in as little oil or margarine as possible, but somehow I feel like I am cheating. I eat LOTS of veggies like leeks, bean sprouts, red, orange and yellow peppers, mushrooms, garlic, green beans, cabbage etc. Do I need to adjust calories somewhere or am I really coming in below my limits? My daily allotment, without exercise is 1430. Just about everyday I have almost 800 left. I feel like I am doing something wrong!!

Suggestions? Thoughts? Experience?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Not sure if you're using Olive Oil but that's a good one among others to cook in. :)

Ah, and yes! 800 cals is quite a bit to leave on your plate each day, how about if you try and bump your cals up and see how you do in the weightloss. It's sure worth a shot, if we don't feed our bodies enough they can get stuck right where they are.

Good luck!
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Meat or no meat, you need to say above 1200 calories or your body will not let you lose weight.
    Starvation mode.
    there are many threads on here if you do a search on the topic.
    I would make some suggestions but your food journal is private so I can't see what you're eating.
    Steph
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    You need to eat those calories. Your body is going to be storing fat and burning lean mass...not good. Your body can't survive on 700 calories each day.

If I were you I'd eat your 1460 calories.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Hmm I am not an expert but maybe you have cut too much out of yr diet? And falling that low under at least the minimum of 1200 cals your body is fighting back.

Could u add some low fat or fat free Yogurts, or other foods that may give u the calories with low carbs/low fat?
  • hslobar
    hslobar Posts: 12
    Maybe try upping your calories with some raw nuts or avocado?
  • Why don't you eat carbs??!! Whole grains are good for you and if you chose the right kinds, they have fiber, which fulls you up!! Are you gluten? If so, just get special types of breads and pasta, etc. Don't try to eliminate any food groups- starvation mode will kick in, which causes your metabolism to slow down!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Why don't you eat carbs??!! Whole grains are good for you and if you chose the right kinds, they have fiber, which fulls you up!! Are you gluten? If so, just get special types of breads and pasta, etc. Don't try to eliminate any food groups- starvation mode will kick in, which causes your metabolism to slow down!

I agree with the above... no carbs at all?!
  • I agree with the others, you are not eating enough! You body will start storing fats, and shut down, therefore your body weight will not change. Try increasing the calories a bit to see if that will help.
  • I eat carbs in moderation. I am pre-diabetic so me and carbs don't get along. I have to have equal protein or fiber with each serving. ALL my carbs are multi-grain.

I will make my food diary public if you want to check it out and let me know what you think.

I hear you all loud and clear on the starvation mode. I am not hungry, but I agree, I am not getting enough food.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    How long has it been? Your body may need to adjust to the new eating style. Plus, if those foods were causing migraines, I would suggest some allergy testing. If you have a gluten intollerance or wheat allergy your body may be recovering since you cut those things out. You may no lose right away. Plus, why do you have 800 cal left over? Thats where you should start. Eat all your calories and balance them out.

For the record, your title states "No Carbs". This is going to fuel a ton of carbs are good for you schpeels. You are not actually no carb if you are still eating fruit. So realx everybody.

Also, cutting out grains does not cause starvation mode- to whoever said that.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    It seems that people are confused here. Veggies are carbs, so are fruits. Just because she cut out grains (which I haven't eaten in over a year) doesn't mean she won't eat carbs. Also, starvation mode will not kick in if you cut out any group. The human body has zero need for carbs. We have a daily minimum for protein and fat, but not carbs.

Why not go on a high protein, high fat diet, with low carbs (which still low - meaning eat tons and tons of fruits and veggies and it's still lower than most people who eat grains).

That being said, if you're measuring your food right, and are seriously eating only 700 calories a day or less, your body will devour it's own muscle for energy, which is bad for the two reasons of a) muscle is good and makes you strong and toned, and b) muscle just by existing takes fuel to survive which will burn fat.

Lower fat diets work, but so do high fat diets. Explore something like the Primal/Paleo diets but without meat if that is your desire.

Also, for those cooking with Olive Oil - make sure it's not high heat please. There are plenty of healthy high heat oils out there that work far better than olive oil. email me if you'd like.

Steve
    knightfit.com
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    I eat carbs in moderation. I am pre-diabetic so me and carbs don't get along. I have to have equal protein or fiber with each serving. ALL my carbs are multi-grain.

I will make my food diary public if you want to check it out and let me know what you think.

I hear you all loud and clear on the starvation mode. I am not hungry, but I agree, I am not getting enough food.

OK. I looked at a couple days of your food diary. You are not no carb by any sense of the word.

So a couple suggestions: (FYI, I'm gluten free vegan and low carb)

Eating whole grain bread, brown rice- better than cereal bars.

Where are the veggies? You said all veggies, no carbs- but your diary says the opposite.

Try adding more FRESH veggies, less "bars", and eat all of your calories. You will probably notice a difference quickly.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I agree with the others. You don't eat enough. Either that, or you're not logging all the food you eat. Either way, not good. You do, however, seem to be doing rather well with your sodium intake. As you increase your calories, your sodium consumption will naturally increase as well, but it looks to me like your intake would still be fairly reasonable. Pat yourself on the back for that and for all those veggies you eat. :flowerforyou:
  • tweyer
    tweyer Posts: 1
    Remember eating too little (not enough calories) will put your body on starvation mode and your body will begin slow the rate of losing, also a little fat in your diet (healthy fat) is good. How about protein? Protein is also great for weight loss. And no it doesn't have to be Meat. I suggest, beans, tofu - my dietitian suggested I have 1250 cals a day and 60g protein a day! And 2 servings fruit.
    Visit: www.mypyramid.gov/ for more balanced meals.

Good luck.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    You said that you eat fish and seafood.
    Try adding more of both to your diet.
    Nuts, legumes, tofu...
    That tough with all of the limitations that you have with what you eat.
    Good luck. If you need any other suggestions or recipes, send me a private message.
    Steph
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Also, I noticed that quite a few of your calorie totals didn't match the macro nutrients listed. For example:

Fiber One- Honey Nut Clusters Cereal (1 Cup)- 160 calories, 42 grams carbs, 2 grams fat, 5 grams protein. Carbs and protein are counted as 4 cals per gram, fat as 9 cals per gram. That would mean this serving is either 206 calories (168 from carbs, 18 from fat, 20 from protein) or the carb/fat/protein numbers are off.

Homemade- Vegetable Stir-Fry (2.5 cups)- 425 calories, 27 carbs, 9 fat, 7 protein. That comes to a total of 217 calories...half of the amount you have listed for this dish.

Baked Salmon Fillet (4 oz)- 233 calories, 0 carbs, 3 fat, 20 protein. That comes to a total of 107 calories...less than half of what you have listed.

You are saying no carbs and all veggies but the diary tells a different story. In fact about 55% of your calories are coming from carbs.

I see that you shop a lot at Trader Joe's...I recommend stocking up on the inexpensive frozen seafood they have and scatter that throughout your diet. Trader Joe's also offers a high fiber/high protein bread that has 14 carbs (8 of it fiber) and 10 grams of protein per two slices. Mix some tuna with some low-fat mayo and you could double your average protein and fiber intake for the day.

Just remember, don't get overwhelmed, all of us are on a journey and each day even the most experienced learn new things they can do to make themselves healthier. Take it all in and keep an open mind and you'll figure it out.
  • I'm having a hard time with the food entry. My "Homemade Vegetable Stir Fry" has no noodles. We use bean sprouts instead.

With my cereal, should I enter the milk separately?

What about when I add sunflower seeds to my veggies?

I seriously just cut up veggies, steam them and that is what I eat, but I have no idea of how to enter that. I don't eat potatoes, cauliflower or the other generic veggies they put in 'mixed vegetables'.

I have been eating the Kettle chips because I just plain have the munchies and seem to have the calories to spare.

Eating in moderation has always been a problem for me. I seem to hit the same roadblocks every time.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    yes add milk, add sunflower seeds, add every little thing because you would be suprised how many calories something has and you might just end up hitting your daily cals. I agree with people above that have posted eating avacados....or peanut butter. Carbs from peanut butter will be MUCH wiser than carbs from kettle chips. I took a peak at your food diary for today and noticed you really don't eat a lot of food. I don't know what times you eat your food, but it seems extremely minimal. Try incooperating one more meal in the day abou tthe size of the other ones you eat and you should be good. Hope this helps:)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    I eat carbs in moderation. I am pre-diabetic so me and carbs don't get along. I have to have equal protein or fiber with each serving. ALL my carbs are multi-grain.

I totally understand when you say 'Not Hungry!' after being sick and hardly able to eat anything for like the last 3 weeks I'm barely getting any cals in because why? I'm not hungry! I don't mean, gee I'm not hungry, I'm gonna go do something else. It really truly is our body NOT HUNGRY. Which happens when we don't feed it enough, it gets used to that and no longer sends us signals. I think that is the point when you/me have to eat despite the signals. I'm not talking overeating or forcing but begining to add back cals that somewhere along the way we've dropped off.

I totally get why ppl say they can't eat because they aren't hungry, I really do, I think it's something a person can't fully understand until it happnes to them. It's a strange sensation. I see food, it means nothing to me. I do think oh, yea that's right, guess I should be eating...then I forget about it.

For you & I to get back on track filling spots in our day with certain higher cal foods that are still healthy might be a good place to start. Raw almonds, Nut Butters, Veggie Wraps (lettuce with avocado and other goodies tucked inside) or if you eat tortillas etc., you could use those.

Just tossing some ideas out and writing them out for you and others will hopefully get me back on track and eating again.
    At this point, I'm most definitely open for ideas as well:ohwell:

Wishing you the Best:wink::drinker:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    It seems that people are confused here. Veggies are carbs, so are fruits. Just because she cut out grains (which I haven't eaten in over a year) doesn't mean she won't eat carbs. Also, starvation mode will not kick in if you cut out any group. The human body has zero need for carbs. We have a daily minimum for protein and fat, but not carbs.

Why not go on a high protein, high fat diet, with low carbs (which still low - meaning eat tons and tons of fruits and veggies and it's still lower than most people who eat grains).

That being said, if you're measuring your food right, and are seriously eating only 700 calories a day or less, your body will devour it's own muscle for energy, which is bad for the two reasons of a) muscle is good and makes you strong and toned, and b) muscle just by existing takes fuel to survive which will burn fat.

Lower fat diets work, but so do high fat diets. Explore something like the Primal/Paleo diets but without meat if that is your desire.

Also, for those cooking with Olive Oil - make sure it's not high heat please. There are plenty of healthy high heat oils out there that work far better than olive oil. email me if you'd like.

Steve
    knightfit.com
    Wanna come back to this post!
This discussion has been closed.