Need Support Group

Options
I am 41 years old. I have five children ages 7-23. I have tried every diet known and have done great on each one for at least 6 hours. I woke up this morning at 3am having a panic attack. I went to the bathroom scale and realized that I now weigh 240 pounds. I am 5'9" tall. I look like an elephant. How this happened-I do not know. It is time for a change-a real one that lasts. I want to weigh 150 pounds, be in shape, play with my kids. We are moving in a couple of weeks to Destin, Florida so I want to make this change. New home-new way of life. I would like someone that can relate to the way I feel-I love to eat. I hate the way I look. I need help.

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for diet and exercise?
  • spicergirls
    spicergirls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, I just started the calorie counter. I plan on trying to walk at least 30 minutes this evening when I get off work. Any suggestions? I sit at a desk all day. I am thinking of trying to join a local gym once I get moved.
  • MsShorten
    MsShorten Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert. I just started seriously on my personal weight loss journey. I downloaded a podcast from running into shape called couch to the 5k. It helps you slowly began to run. Let me just give my stats. I currently weigh in at 277.4(as of this morning) I am 5'5 and I'll be 39 at the end of this month. It only takes 20-30 minutes each podcast and it goes very slow at first. Anyway, I like it! It's kinda hard but its helping. I'm in week 2 and I've lost 9 pounds. I'm watching it on calories, amping up my protein intake trying to watch my carbs too. No bread or whites....its not that hard.

Listen, what I know to be true is that it's all about what's in your "Will House". Anything will work IF you WORK IT!

Good Luck
  • spicergirls
    spicergirls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I am going to look that up right now.
  • deaterrae
    deaterrae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! While my goals may not match yours, I, too, sit at a desk or in meetings most of the day, and often for 12 hours a day. I like that you're starting to think about ways to incorporate exercise even when it seems difficult.

You've done a good thing by posting on this forum. Please accept a friend request from me. We can support each other and help each other figure out our next steps. - Deaterrae
  • johnnym0326
    Options
    There's a great book based on current psychological science about changing habits that you should read. Now or as soon as you move is the best time to create new healthy habits because your new environment will make it MUCH easier to develop and change habits.
    Another key element is to start small so as not to become overwhelmed,you must also realize and accept that it's a process that gradually builds on itself, there are no quick fixes or "magical diets". The book is called "Making Habits, Changing Habits", by Jeremy Dean, there's a few other elements to changing habits, not too much, but things you need to realize about how our brains function. Good Luck.
  • healthylife2014
    Options
    Im learning an awful lot myself.
    For exercise i started on a stationary bike at the gym in my complex.
    If your moving to florida then there are alot of walking clubs that are free.
    I live in florida, there are groups of women or men that get together and
    Walk and exercise for motivation and its free. I notice for me its more motivating to go with
    Someone rather than by myself. When you move look at the citys website, they have alot of neat
    Activities for residents you just have to take advantage of whats available.
    Also cause im a mom too, they have kids activities.
  • thorwat
    thorwat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have the same goals as you and have tried every diet as well- but never last more than 3-4 days. I am considering the lap band, but would like to be successful without surgery if possible. Thus, I am back on fitness pal and tracking my intake. I am 41, weighing 220 lb, and I have 2 children. Would like to support you on your journey.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    i love to eat too but hate to look in the mirror. i feel horrible after i gorge myself with food and look at my stomach in disgust. you have to start off with small changes. i have been unable to stick to a plan but now i am ready