Afternoon snacks....

Options
filoula
filoula Posts: 17 Member
My biggest trouble is snacking when I get in from college! I've tried so many things but what I really need is something quite low in calories - ideally no more than 200 - and low in carbs. I like baking and cooking so I'm open to anything! Any ideas would be much appriciated!!!:smile:

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Try just eating fruits or veggies. Celery with hummus is one of my favorites. Only 45 calories for one serving of hummus and the celery is like 1 calorie a stalk haha. You can easily make your own hummus at home as well.
  • filoula
    Options
    thanks! that's a really good idea - not sure if i actually like hummus though...
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm have green bell pepper strips and a spicy wholly guacamole pouch today (about 120 cals).
    I'll have greek yogurt on work out days - get plain though if you're watching sugar.
    Berries and nuts; or celery and nut butter.
    if you want to bake something and didn't have eggs for breakfast try egg muffins. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scrambled-egg-muffins-2/
    I would skip the cheese and mix up your fillers. you can reduce this type of recipe to only make a handful.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    baked chick peas.

season with wtv spices you want and a little oil, put on a pan and baked for 40min @350

nummy
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This afternoon I have some trail mix from Trader Joes (Simply Almonds, Cashews, & Craisins) and a Cheese stick... 220 calories.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sky rockets in flight.

Afternoon delight.
  • lakishamcquany
    lakishamcquany Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    An alt idea, when i get in, I do 10-15 cardio before I try raiding the cupboards, usually afterwards all I'm happy for is a drink of water!!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I eat fresh fruit for my afternoon snack. It is a little treat that helps me get a boost of energy to finish up the work day and carry on over to my workout. Snack usually consists of strawberries, blue berries, almonds and cottege cheese.
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    FitFunFabulousNicole Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All GREAT ideas, and remember you eat what you have in your fridge and in your cupboards. Have your healthy snacks at arms reach so you don't mindlessly snack on the things you are trying to avoid :)
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    My favorite afternoon snack is a huge salad... spring mix, cucumbers, red/green/yellow bell peppers, purple cabbage, carrots, green onion - and a T of homemade balsamic viniagrette. Filling, delicious, and under 150 calories! (and I aim for a rainbow of colors)
  • filoula
    Options
    thats brilliant! I usually do my exercise like an hour after dinner but doing it then would really work - I'm gonna try it! thankyouuu!
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hummus and pita chips works for me!
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sky rockets in flight.

Afternoon delight.

LOL
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    Carrots are filling, keep you busy because they're crunchy, and definitely low-cal.
  • filoula
    Options
    I really like the idea of a salad in the afternoon because it'll make me feel like I'm eating more... thank you very much :)
  • filoula
    Options
    thank you everyone! these ideas are fab!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Not totally sure why you want low carbs, but in that case....

beef jerky
    string cheese
    hard boiled eggs (or not boiled, whatevs, that's just how I prefer mine)
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Something I did not think I would like, but now love to snack on: celery stick with 1 oz of pepper jack cheese. The 2 together are yummy!
  • mrsamyyoung2012
    mrsamyyoung2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on pickles, string cheese, carrots, quaker rice snacks, a small banana, almonds and walnuts... My big things that I try to watch are sugar and sodium.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why not set aside some cals so you can snack in the afternoon?