Moms who Breastfeed/fed

Options
I am at my pre-pregnancy weight and I have read that going below your pre-pregnancy weight can decrease your milk output. Also, I have read in some places that a lot of women are unable to lose the last five or so pounds until after they stop breastfeeding. The information seems somewhat mixed. Have you experienced this? I want to lose 5 more pounds, but I do not want to risk jeopardizing my milk. Also, I am wondering if it would be better to maintain now until I am done breastfeeding or if it would be easier now since I am burning a lot of extra calories. Any tips? Thanks in advance for your input!!!

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My milk supply started to wane about 8 months in with each of my kids. I would pump like a fool all day at work and get 4 -6 ounces. . .clearly not enough for an 8 month old!!! So, for me, it had nothing to do with my weight being too low. Not a problem for me because I was quite over my pre-pregnancy weight.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Well I'm about 7 lbs. below my pre-pregnancy weight (well, this pregnancy anyway), and have had no problems with my milk supply. I initially added 350 calories to my calorie goal when I was first starting to log and that worked. Now I'm down to nursing only 3-4 times a day (only at night), so have reduced my calories. Still no effect on my milk production. I think once your milk is firmly established, a drastic reduction in calories can have an effect, but a modest decrease shouldn't effect your milk at all. Just make sure to stay hydrated.

I have heard a lot of people having trouble shifting those last few pounds. I think that varies from person to person. I am quite overweight, so I think my body knows it's okay to let go of some weight - I'm in no danger of my body not having enough fat storages!
  • danijoy07
    danijoy07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience...

Breastfed both of my kiddos for over a year. Didn't really workout at all with the first and stuck to light/moderate workouts with the second ie walking and Zumba. Had a strong supply with both but unfortunately I always had about 10-15 lbs with both kids that would NOT go away until after I stopped nursing. Magically within 2-3 weeks of stopping the pounds literally disappeared without any increased effort from me. Weird, I know. Some people complain that they can't keep weight ON while nursing whereas I could not get it all off until after I was done. I would just continue to do your best to eat right, stay active and do whatever keep you sane and your baby happy! :flowerforyou:
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    While breastfeeding, I got down within 11lbs of my goal weight - 27lbs LESS than my pre-preg weight. - and couldn't run a deficit anymore without feeling dizzy all day.

When I stopped breastfeeding, (my supply quickly dropped due to new birth control when my daughter was 11.5 months), I lost 7lbs in a week. I think it was mostly fluids. I also lost a cup size that week *almost* back to pre-preg size.

Unfortunately, I'm losing some of that weight again. 17lbs to goal weight now.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    These would definitely be questions for your doctor, or a lactation consultant (many hospitals provide consultations for free).
    My supply dropped off around 6months and before I hit my pre-pregnancy weight so I don't have first-hand experience with the weight issue, but i know my attitude towards it was that stuff is like gold - I wouldn't risk its fate on advice from anyone but a professional. :flowerforyou:

ETA: I had a very hard time keeping up from the beginning, so I am biased towards being very careful about changes.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Milk supply is effected by hormones. I think when people say that going below your pre-pregnancy weight will lessen your milk supply there is the assumption that your body was in its perfectly healthy stasis state before pregnancy. If you were, then yes, going below that weight may effect your supply. Having too little body fat can effect your hormones, yes, but if you have legitimate fat weight to lose I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I don't know your personal stats or body composition, and hormone levels for different body types differ greatly because of genetics, even when people have the same stats.

I would talk to your doctor. He/she can give you a good idea of where your body can and should be and where you shouldn't go below.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both of my kids until they self-weaned around 15 months old. I had returned back to my pre-pregnancy weight quite quickly after I gave birth (actually went a few lbs below). My milk supply didn't seem to suffer with the weight loss as long as I ate a good amount of calories. I wasn't tracking my food then but know I ate alot and often. It was after they weaned that I started gaining again (kept eating the same amount of calories):P It's been hard work shedding those pounds now! ha

I'd like to add that having a conversation with a lacation consultant would be beneficial! I had one on speed dial:)
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not changing anything new I don't see why going down a few more pounds would hurt your milk. I nursed my youngest until he was 18 months and wound up below my prepregnancy weight, but still had weight to lose and it didn't affect anything. I would just keep an eye on it and see how it responds to your diet, as long as you're getting adequate calories from nutritious foods I wouldn't worry to much. You can always start on something like Mother's Milk Tea or Milk Maid Organic Tea if you're worried. Talking to a LC or your local LLL leader isn't a bad idea either, they can give you some things to look out for and some helpful ideas.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    every woman is different regarding how easy it is to lose fat while breastfeeding, and whether it's hard to shift the last few or not... same as fat loss when not breastfeeding.

As long as you're eating well, i.e. not too big a calorie deficit plus plenty of nutrients, your milk supply should be fine. If you undereat (i.e. too big a deficit) the quality and quantity of your milk may suffer... but you're more likely to suffer than your baby, because the milk gets priority for nutrients over you, so if you don't get enough calcium, you'll usually have enough calcium in your milk, but you may lose bone density. So pay attention to getting enough of everything. A conservative deficit for slow and steady fat loss won't usually affect your milk supply or cause any harm to you. Many women (those who lose weight easily from breastfeeding) eat at a moderate deficit while breastfeeding without even trying to. So even if you're not in that category you can safely use MFP to make a moderate deficit. Just remember to account for breastfeeding in your calorie allowance, i.e. if you're using the default settings on MFP, eat back your breastfeeding calories. If you're using the TDEE - 20% method, include breastfeeding calories in your TDEE. If you're exclusively breastfeeding a baby up to 6 months then it's around 500 cals/day although this may vary depending on the baby (e.g. more calories for larger, hungrier babies). Once the baby's on solid food it's harder to calculate breastfeeding calories, but usually it's fewer calories because they're getting more from solid food and taking less milk.

How much you actually weigh doesn't matter so much as how much you're eating, so long as you're still at a healthy weight for you. If you were overweight/obese before your pregnancy, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting to a lower weight than your pre-pregnancy weight. Just aim for a healthy weight and slow and steady fat loss, and focus on getting enough nutrients in the process.

I breastfed both my kids, the first up to age 2 and the second up to age 2.5.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i doubt your mams have memorised your weight.

as long as you're healthy enough to part with the cals then i suspect your body will produce milk.
    obviously, if you're underweight or borderline then you might start to dry up.
  • girlsplaywow2
    Options
    Milk supply is effected by hormones. I think when people say that going below your pre-pregnancy weight will lessen your milk supply there is the assumption that your body was in its perfectly healthy stasis state before pregnancy. If you were, then yes, going below that weight may effect your supply. Having too little body fat can effect your hormones, yes, but if you have legitimate fat weight to lose I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I don't know your personal stats or body composition, and hormone levels for different body types differ greatly because of genetics, even when people have the same stats.

I would talk to your doctor. He/she can give you a good idea of where your body can and should be and where you shouldn't go below.

Not only is it about hormones, it is about supply and demand. Pumping is a bad way to figure out how much milk you're producing; the pump is extremely inefficient when compared to a nursing child. A satisfied child who is a good measure. Milk is produced as you are feeding, literally, but if you're on a feeding schedule you might find that your breasts are getting full expecting to feed a baby soon. I haven't nursed my 18mo more than 2x in the past 3 weeks, and there is still milk and there will be more if she nursed. Pumping on one side while nursing on the other or pumping after a feeding can help bump up production, because your body thinks that it needs to make more milk.

Restricting calories can affect milk supply, but there are also foods that will help with milk supply, like oatmeal and brewers yeast. The best way to keep up milk production is to keep nursing and to stay hydrated. Even better, and especially if you are concerned about supply, would be to use supplements like fenugreek or More Milk Plus tincture if you don't want to add yeast or oats into your diet.
  • lilymaeblue
    lilymaeblue Posts: 14
    Options
    What about foods? R there some that will have a bad effect? What about whey protien powder...is that safe?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I had serious milk supply issues. Dieting made it worse. I actually started counting calories to make sure I was eating enough. I aimed for 2500 a day at least.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your respoey. I will bring this up at my son's well baby check up next week. My plan in the meantime is to eat when I'm hungry, try to stay within my calories (I allow 400 extra for breastfeeding my almost nine month old), and to eat nutritious food. I drink tons of water because I have read that staying well hydrated is very important for breastfeeding. I am going to keep exercising as well. Basically, I am going to keep going. I was thinking that maybe my supply was decreasing because my breasts have only been feeling really full in the morning, but it makes sense that my body has adjusted to my baby's nursing schedule so milk does not build up as much in between, in anticipation of his next feeding.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds under prepregnancy weight with both kids (just from BFing, no diet/exercise at all) in the year I breastfed, I never had a problem with supply. Once I started dropping sessions, to wean, my supply dropped pretty quick though.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    The weight lost on my ticker? ALL of it has been lost while breastfeeding. =) I have been nursing my daughter for 16 months and I eat around 1500 calories a day. I work out three times a week.

Sadly, I'm about 10lbs away from my goal weight, but I am surprised I even made it this far! My pre-pregnancy weight (before second child) was 164lbs. I didn't gain throughout the pregnancy with my daughter. I am now 125lbs (ish) and struggling to get off the last 10lbs. Although I never remember being 115lbs, so I'm not even sure it's possible, but I know my body has a heck of a lot of fat still on it (especially around the stomach and hips) and from what I've read, it's to protect the ovaries?

I'm interested to see what will happen with my weight-loss once I stop nursing!
  • 2ht2hand1e
    Options
    And I should add that I am 5'6", I weighed 130 when I got pregnant, but I was weight training and running daily. Even though, I weigh 130 now, I know my body fat is higher. My goal is to just lose 5 more lbs. I walk, jog, dance, and sometime do Jillian dvds for exercise.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    Options
    The weight lost on my ticker? ALL of it has been lost while breastfeeding. =) I have been nursing my daughter for 16 months and I eat around 1500 calories a day. I work out three times a week.

Sadly, I'm about 10lbs away from my goal weight, but I am surprised I even made it this far! My pre-pregnancy weight (before second child) was 164lbs. I didn't gain throughout the pregnancy with my daughter. I am now 125lbs (ish) and struggling to get off the last 10lbs. Although I never remember being 115lbs, so I'm not even sure it's possible, but I know my body has a heck of a lot of fat still on it (especially around the stomach and hips) and from what I've read, it's to protect the ovaries?

I'm interested to see what will happen with my weight-loss once I stop nursing!

It sounds like you have accomplished quite a bit! Congratulations!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    And you have too! I think just stick with what you're doing.

Protein increase helped me lose more weight (plus feel happier overall) so it might be worth a shot if that's something you're regularly low on!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 4th child who is 19 months old. I have never heard that going below pre-pregnancy weight can cause drop in milk supply and honestly can't think of a biological reason why that would be true. With all of my children my milk supply dropped at about 3 months (went from oversupply to normal) and then at around8 months. I was able to continue nursing with no formula, though. I nursed my 2nd child to age 3 and third to age 2 1\ 2 (was pregnant when each weaned so have been nursing and/or pregnant for 9 years+ with my second I got to 20 lbs below pre-pregnany weight by his first birthday. With the first and third in had an extra five lbs. The hardest part was keeping it off. I started to gain when they were all about a year old or shortly after.