Trainer wants to switch me from traditional cardio...

Options
To an insanity based core workout

I recently got a new trainer at my gym. (He prefers the term "coach")

He wants me to stop doing traditional cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical, etc) and put me on an insanity style core workout. Previously I was doing 30-40 minutes of cardio followed by 30-40 of weight training.

I realize I'm only on level one but I'm finished with my 3 circuits in 10 minutes and feel like I'm cutting my workout short. So today I added some of Jillian michaels' 30 day shred moves and did 3 more circuits.

Thoughts? Am I really going to get results in 1/3 the time I was working out before ?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    But of course he does.

The higher-intensity workouts can augment your routine, but they should not completely replace your steady-state cardio. Too many trainers -- oops, sorry, **coaches**-- have only one tool--HIIT--so they see every problem as a nail.

Properly structured and sequenced, endurance cardio, tempo cardio, and HIIT can all complement each other to help increase your overall fitness. But none of them should be done exclusively.

Ideally, a HIIT workout should be intense enough that you don't have a lot left to do more. It sounds like you are just building up, so doing some extra exercise is OK if you feel like it. Eventually, when those workouts get into the 30-45 min range, if you are being pushed appropriately, you will have had more than enough for one day :tongue:

In general, no, you are not going to get "results" in 1/3 the time you were working out before. But that answer also depends on: A) how you define "results" and B) how you were working out before. If you were doing nothing but low-level endurance cardio and light weights, then you will likely see substantial improvements in fitness from the higher-intensity workouts. In terms of weight loss, likely no, since you are still ramping up your efforts.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What are your goals from working out? Did he spend a lot of time assessing your current level of fitness? Just as importantly, did he ask what kind of exercise you actually enjoy?

I'm sure I could get "results" quite quickly doing HIIT exercises, but that wouldn't get me round a six-hour marathon.
  • cmnold
    cmnold Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, the trainer did assess my fitness level and took into account injuries and weaknesses. He weighed me and will be doing measurements next week. Also is going to be evaluating my food diary and eating habits. He said I was a lot stronger than he thought I'd be :-) I did feel like he was genuinely trying to help me reach my fitness goals. And I do realize you have to start slow and build up.

To answer the other question, I have been doing about a half hour of moderate to high intensity cardio including run/walk interval training and both linear and lateral elliptical machines with a bit of stationery bike mixed in for variety. My normal burn on a cardio machine is in the realm of 250-350 calories in 30 minutes. In the weight room I'm lifting heavy weights at about 75-80% of my maximum.

I think that I will try to supplement his program with my previous cardio program (perhaps in the evening as my usual workout is in the morning) until I reach the point where I feel challenged enough by the HIIT to drop the additional cardio. I don't want to overtrain.