How much running is too much?

Options
I hear a lot of things about people running too much and screwing their knees up later in life. My brother had this problem, my form master in school who was a running obsessive, and now someone at work has just said the same thing happened to them. So how much is too much? Or does it largely depend on surfaces?

Replies

• ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Good question. I am a runner and always hear that same thing. Even my doctor told me to stop running. Im 33, I have no knee pain at all. I run on concrete, maybe I too be a victim later in life. I feel it also might have to do with how heavy you are, surely if you are really overweight, this is bound to cause more knee injury. Curious to hear what others think.....
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of things - mileage, running surface, gait, proper shoes (not necessarily in this order). I used to run 50-60 miles per week without doing any type of cross training or stretching/flexibility work. I would highly recommend doing BOTH. It will help your running longevity greatly since people who only do one form of exercise often have/will develop muscle imbalances.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Running damaging your knees is one of those fitness myths that has been dispelled by science.

There have been at least two long term studies of lifelong runners being compared to those who don't run and the runner group showed no more knee degeneration than the non-runner group and in some instances actually showed less.
  • alicat58598
    alicat58598 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 5 years now. Have lost about 40lbs...I had a lady tell me one time that I am going to wreck my knees because of my running...she told me this while she was smoking her cigarette...I told her she is going to wreck her lungs by smoking!
    Anyway, I do tons of stretching and get regular massage therapy focusing on my legs, and new shoes every 50kms, if you look after yourself you will run forever. I am 37 years old and am going to run my first half marathon in sept this year in Ottawa. I love running and will continue to do so as long as I can...hoping to be that 80 year old that finishes a half someday!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I think that many of these "too much" myths are perpetuated by people who want to make excuses for their own lack of willingness to to the training necessary to excel.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think that many people tend to run at a high intensity every time they run and fail to recover properly before heading out again.... over a period of time, this can be very damaging.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    What he said....
    And listen to your body
    If you are enjoying/benefitting from it keep going
    :)

Running damaging your knees is one of those fitness myths that has been dispelled by science.

There have been at least two long term studies of lifelong runners being compared to those who don't run and the runner group showed no more knee degeneration than the non-runner group and in some instances actually showed less.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I think that many of these "too much" myths are perpetuated by people who want to make excuses for their own lack of willingness to to the training necessary to excel.

That.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I figure it is better to have knee/hip/foot problems than a triple bypass at some point. I am being snarky here but those problem, while irritating, have got to be "better" than major health conditions later in life.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Over 50 miles a day is too much.

Seriously. If you train well, strength train well and take scheduled rest days, you can probably run a couple of hundred miles in a week. Can you start there? Of course not.

I suggest:
    - Get shoes properly fitted a running store.
    - Walk 3 miles 3 times a week BEFORE you start running. Do push ups, squats, lunges and planks. Strength helps prevent injury.
    - Start with 3 days a week doing something like C25K.
    - Think about proper running from or get a coach.
    - Drink lots of water it's good for your soft tissue.
    - Warm up, stretch, cool down and more light stretching.
    - Take it slow, listen to your body.
    - I run on concrete and asphalt a lot. Not many choices other than a dreadmill or a track.
    - Have fun.

I started two years ago after a heart attack, and now I am up to125 miles per week. I had three surgeries and lots of stupid injuries because I didn't know the few things I listed above.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I think that many people tend to run at a high intensity every time they run and fail to recover properly before heading out again.... over a period of time, this can be very damaging.

Yes, or too much too soon.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Over 50 miles a day is too much.

Seriously. If you train well, strength train well and take scheduled rest days, you can probably run a couple of hundred miles in a week. Can you start there? Of course not.

I suggest:
    - Get shoes properly fitted a running store.
    - Walk 3 miles 3 times a week BEFORE you start running. Do push ups, squats, lunges and planks. Strength helps prevent injury.
    - Start with 3 days a week doing something like C25K.
    - Think about proper running from or get a coach.
    - Drink lots of water it's good for your soft tissue.
    - Warm up, stretch, cool down and more light stretching.
    - Take it slow, listen to your body.
    - I run on concrete and asphalt a lot. Not many choices other than a dreadmill or a track.
    - Have fun.

I started two years ago after a heart attack, and now I am up to125 miles per week. I had three surgeries and lots of stupid injuries because I didn't know the few things I listed above.

Dreamill...that's what I call it too.

And I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on having a heart attack and now you run 125 mile per week! That is ABSOLUTELY astounding. That is a BUTT LOAD of running.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options

This. I have been running (long distance running) -- mainly concrete/asphalt -- since I was 14. With over 20+ years of running and countless miles logged, my knees (and the rest of me) are perfectly fine. I've never had surgery and I've actually become a faster runner as I've aged.

I've noticed that fellow runners who are frequently sidelined with injuries tend to do too much too soon. Take it slow as you build mileage and speed and you'll be fine.
  • photosarah
    photosarah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know a number of people who can no longer run because of running too much, not having the right shoes, etc. I would say make sure that you have the right running shoes and that you replace your shoes probably once or twice a year. If you are feeling pain in your knees, don't run on that pain. I think the key is knowing your limits and having the right support.
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. My dad is 67 years old and still runs 3-4 miles a day 4 times a week. He's apparently done this for most of his life and he loves it . Me, I used to be runner. My knees and ankles don't like the running at all at this point in my life so I don't do it anymore. I've resorted to walking and hula hoops. Things that don't pound my joints until my feet go numb. Maybe when I drop some more weight, I'll try again because I liked running.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you run with decent form
    and
    If you don't run too hard all the time
    and
    if you build progressively as your body adapts to its training load
    then
    You can probably progress to safely running at least 10 to 12 hours per week.

Depending on your pace this will be somewhere between 60 and 100 miles per week.

10 to 12 hours per week for about 7 years will get you to the limits of your own genetic potential in aerobic fitness and running.
  • jpseven
    Options
    I started off running about 3 months ago, and it seems that i have made a new runner's mistake of trying to do too much.

I have been running 5 days a week at lunch (Between 6 and 10km), however I also ride to and from work every day (about 13km each way up hills) plus I do weights at the gym 5 days a week. Unfortunatly i have now got very tight muscles in my left calf and have to take some time off running.

I'm quite anoyed at myself as I have started to really love getting out there over lunch for a run, the physio has advised me to rest for the next week and get back on track. however i think i will have to make sure that i only do 4 days a week and take a break from running every other day. (possibly add in laps in the pool on my days off)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Yes, or too much too soon.

Varying your running surfaces is also a great way to avoid over use injuries. In one run I do a little sidewalk, a lot of road, a bit of grass, the dirt when I can. I'm pretty much all over the place.