Starting Running

Options
I've lost 98 lbs so far (May 14 makes a year so I'm going for 100 at the 1 year mark) and would like to start running. I haven't ran regularly since I played sports in high school. What tips does anybody have for starting this as a workout and staying motivated. I have my ipod ready to go. Should I time myself? Should I have shoes dedicated for this? What advice could I get for getting started, other than "just start running." Thanks in advance.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a solid walking base first. As in, you can walk for 30 minutes at a brisk clip and feel ok. If that's under your belt, look into a program like Couch to 5k. It's interval based and starts off slowly. You could also go for something a bit looser like Jeff Galloway. he advocates a walk/run method, but doesn't seem to have any prescribed amount of time for your walking or running.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    ^What she said.

Also, if you are serious about running and intend to keep doing it, I would recommend:

1. Getting fitted for shoes at a running specialty store. The right shoes make all the difference.
    2. Doing cross training - whether it be yoga, swimming, strength training, spinning, etc. Cross training helps.
    3. Sign up for a race a few months down the road. Races are fun and good motivation.
    4. Don't run every day. You should probably start with 3 days a week, with a rest day between every run. Too much too soon and you're setting yourself up for injury.
    5. Go slow. You don't need to be fast, you just need to move. Speed comes with time.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    -Couch to 5k (you don't HAVE to download an app, I just used a cheap timer when I started)
    -Get fitted for good running shoes
    -Run SLOW, then EVEN SLOWER...new runners usually try to run too fast, speed will come, but now you want to build up your muscles/joints/ligaments to be able to handle the motion

Then just go! Probably 3 days a week for beginners, no more. Run at whatever time of day you will be motivated to keep going. Repeat things/slow down as you need.
  • patricemeredithclarke
    patricemeredithclarke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! You can definitely get those last two off in the next week!

Don't time yourself your first time out, just try to enjoy it! Run SLOWLY! You don't have to be sprinting to be running. You are working different muscles from when you walk, so listen to your body. One of my mantras is "I am grateful that I can run." You really don't need "special shoes," but you can get fitted for running shoes. No matter what though, I always have blisters and black toenails even though I have several different pairs of "special shoes" that I alternate -- after a while you become proud of your tough feet. Again, just enjoy yourself. Even if you only run one block, that is a great start. Good luck, and have fun!!
  • maribeth721
    maribeth721 Posts: 10
    Options
    Start off with intervals of running and walking. If you aren't used to running or have never really been a runner, you aren't going to be able to run out the door and clock in 3.5 miles - even at a really slow pace. Couch to 5k (C25k) as others have recommended is definitely a good place to start. Another way is to make your own intervals, but make sure you change them every 1-2 weeks.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    ^What she said.

Also, if you are serious about running and intend to keep doing it, I would recommend:

1. Getting fitted for shoes at a running specialty store. The right shoes make all the difference.
    2. Doing cross training - whether it be yoga, swimming, strength training, spinning, etc. Cross training helps.
    3. Sign up for a race a few months down the road. Races are fun and good motivation.
    4. Don't run every day. You should probably start with 3 days a week, with a rest day between every run. Too much too soon and you're setting yourself up for injury.
    5. Go slow. You don't need to be fast, you just need to move. Speed comes with time.

all of this! (execept I'm not sold on the running store shoe thing, they will almost always tell you that you "over pronate or under pronate" which you probably do, beause we all run/walk/ differently...i've found the best shoes are ones that give your feet enough room to do what they need to do, running is natural, don't put your foot into something that makes running un-natural with that being said get a good pair of running shoes that are 1 size bigger than you wear normally, your feet will swell it is normal!)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Lora F said 'go slow.' I would second that, as the most important advice.
    Many people don't like running because it is hard, and feeling out of breath is really uncomfortable. Many people start and quit for that reason. But, I would argue, they pushed themselves too hard.
    Go slow, Run, walk, run -- if you have to. Make it fun ! Your body will adapt, and it will not be so uncomfortable. Then you can make it a habit, and then it will make a difference.
    It's no good to go out and think: I'm gonna run a 10K in a month.And then quit because it was so hard. Two months later, it won't make any difference that you ran for a month.
  • ztdavis82
    ztdavis82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I saw the Couch-to-5K app in there a bunch of times and I would highly recommend it. I've had ongoing chronic knee problems for fifteen or so years and started using the app as a way to slowly ease myself into it. I've used it on and off and repeated and re-repeated weeks, and tried other programs, but I'm up to running about 4.5 miles without any pain at all. Now I'm actually using the 5K-to-10K app.

It starts off really slowly and places more emphasis on distance run, than on speed.

I also read Born to Run by Chris McDougall. Probably didn't help much in practice, but it made running sound really exciting, which motivated me to get out there.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I saw the Couch-to-5K app in there a bunch of times and I would highly recommend it. I've had ongoing chronic knee problems for fifteen or so years and started using the app as a way to slowly ease myself into it. I've used it on and off and repeated and re-repeated weeks, and tried other programs, but I'm up to running about 4.5 miles without any pain at all. Now I'm actually using the 5K-to-10K app.

It starts off really slowly and places more emphasis on distance run, than on speed.

I also read Born to Run by Chris McDougall. Probably didn't help much in practice, but it made running sound really exciting, which motivated me to get out there.

Read this book. You have been given some decent advice but one thing I didnt see is, have fun. Generally I dont listen to music when I run. I like hearing the sounds and smelling the smells that I once experienced as a kid. Running is not complicated, hell kids take off without any bs so you should too.

I run in Minimalist shoes and advise you to shun motion control stability shoes with arch support. You will learn to run right with less injury.

Have fun

Good video on the basics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_aqCiziTaw