Eat BEFORE or AFTER exercise?

Options
I do all my workouts in the evening (from 6pm onwards) and i've always had a debate as to whether I should eat before exercise, at about 4:30-5. or after, at about 8? I don't mind waiting till after exercise but I've always wondered if there's any nutritional difference?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Nope, there isn't.

Eat when it feels best for you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have enough energy to have a good workout but not too full where it slows you down.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dinner before - post workout after
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    after.

why on earth would you want to feel sick and naseous during your workout? forget that.

additionally it would be fasted training.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any nutritional plus for either method...but I cannot work out with food in my tummy so I eat after.
  • littlemissnotfit
    Options
    I prefer to eat after a work out. Just works best for me personally don't feel so weighed down by food. If you need energy try something light like nuts before your work out. I try to eat within an hour afterwards.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do both - I work out at about 5:30 and I have lunch at noon so I have an afternoon snack about half way in between. Dinner is after I get home which can be late so I'll have a post workout protein bar/shake until dinner. They're not "full" meals because if I eat too much I'll feel sick and lethargic - however if I eat too little I won't have the energy for my workouts.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Do what works for you. Some get nauseous when working out after eating. Some feel lethargic if they don't. I prefer to have a 300 calorie meal before hand and eat dinner after. Find what works best for you and your calorie needs and fit in to your day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want to eat, it doesn't matter. I personally have a pre workout snack and post workout snack on my lift days...that usually totals about 500 calories and includes proteins and carb, then I go home and eat my dinner around 8:30PM.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Personally, I work out better on an empty stomach. Especially on long run days. Find what works for you! I know my friend prefers to have a shake first.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest having a snack to stave off hunger before you exercise, and then have the meal after. I get nauseated if I try to work out on a full stomach, but I also hate working out when I'm starving, and this can lead to bad eating habits.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, I like after. for whatever reason I am just not hungry after a workout, hence I eat way less. I also like that time to go food shopping. You don't want to ruin all that hard work wtih crap that you pick up there!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings, so I don't eat until I get home. I feel better when I train fasted.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. But I'd advise to eat after or 2-3 hours after exercising you could end up feeling hungry again as you'd have eaten pretty early in the day.